Home Buying in Phoenix>Question Details

Debi Brown, Home Buyer in Huntsville, TX

Who usually takes the photos? 15 pictures and five are of the same angle? And why don't realtors use spell check prior to posting?

Asked by Debi Brown, Huntsville, TX Thu Dec 13, 2012

This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3103688204-5644-N-29th-Ave-Ph…

We hire a photographer for our listings. As far as spelling and grammar, we pride ourselves on taking a great deal of time and effort on the marketing section in MLS. The way you describe the property in this field is paramount to the success of the marketing both in MLS and the affiliated sites.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 20, 2012
Good question! Nothing wrong with taking your own photos if you have some talent in the photography dept as an agent, but I don't think some agents realize they actually turn folks off with this type of photography.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 17, 2012
I'm gonna go with... Laziness =)
Not all listing agents are cut from the same cloth.

I would say typically most listing agents take the photos themselves, ask the home seller to provide them or they use their cell phone. Some may hire someone else to shoot the pictures for them.

As far as spell check, maybe that listing agent had not had their coffee yet.
When choosing a Realtor, look for someone who fits in with your schedule, needs, and personality. Make sure your Realtor has the skills you value most like photography if that's on top of your list or at least mention that to him before hand so he can get a professional to take the photos if that is not his strong point.
I'm with you! At least in general (I think the photos have been changed on the listing you mentioned). The poor photos that you see on some listings boggle my mind. And - yes - spelling matters! But I think that a dictionary should be used rather than spellcheck - if I see one more listing on a "quite street"....
Debi- Most agents take their own pictures unless they hire someone to do that for them or are lazy and don't take pictures.

As a Real Estate Professional it is extremely frustrating to have clients ask me about pictures and the listing only has 1 or 2 or as you say, doesn't demonstrate the property properly. I have been known to drive out for my out of state clients, take additional pictures and or videos and send to them.

Levels of professionalism are not measured by the pictures an agent takes but it does tell the story.

If you are not already working with a real estate professional and would like additional photo's on this or any other listing, I'd be happy to assist you.

Its very difficult to make a decision if that property meets your needs and wants without seeing what it looks like, layouts, types of ceilings, flooring and layouts.

Debbie Nieman
Keller Williams Real Estate Professional

Debi, Realtors have differing levels of skill and competence. It is best to see the property in person, or if you are out of town, seek out a buyer's agent who is willing to take photos for you and preview the property.

It is pretty much just as frustrating for those of us agents who pride ourselves on good photographs and a clearly written description, when we are looking at other listings.

When you need an agent to list a home for you, be sure to look at their past listings to get an idea of how well they represent their sellers.

If I can help in any way, please contact me at 480-789-9584.

Coldwell Banker Trails and Paths
Definitely take your own camera with you Debi when you go visit this listing. Many of my clients to do the same and it really helps them when they are narrowing down there final choices.

If you have an agent representing you as a buyer's agent they might preview the property for you in advance and take some pics for you. Good luck :)
The photos posted are probably taken by the Seller's agent, or somebody that he is using. If you are interested in the property, please let me know - I can take some photos for you.
Web Reference: http://www.talktosteffy.com
You won't catch any of my listings looking this embarrassing. I am a photographer from my previous career and have over $5,000 in equipment that I leverage on even lower value listings to make them look as good as possible. When it comes to spelling, well there is no substitute for a good education! Spell check is not a substitute for poor grammar or spelling skills. If there are any typos here, it's because I'm using my iPhone at a hair salon. :)
I love your question. I am embarrassed to say that most often, it is the seller’s real estate agent who takes the photos and uploads them into their local multiple listing service (MLS) – the database where real estate agents share information. The MLS often syndicates their data to consumer sites such as Trulia. Many consumer sites have minimum photo requirements. If the agent does not upload an “established minimum” number of photos, many consumer sites will not display the listing. I believe this is why consumers see so many of the same photos. The agent takes a limited number of photos of the property and later realizes that the property won’t be displayed where consumers will find it online. So, instead of taking more photos, the agent often repeats the photos to essentially meet the minimum photo requirement to be displayed.
I’m not defending this practice. I believe more photos help peak interest. Even when I have a home that might not be in the best condition, and therefore might not photograph well, I still feature the maximum number of photos online. Even ugly houses sell at the right price. Consumers want to see photos…it is good business to give them as many as possible. As for the spelling, there’s no excuse. Most MLS systems have a spell check. Some agents don’t take pride in their work. I don’t intend to bad mouth the industry as a whole. Many of my peers do a great job of showcasing their inventory. Good luck in your search!!
Thank you Al! I think this answers my question the most honestly.
Flag Wed Dec 19, 2012

This property is a flip - the current owner purchased it for $52,600 just two months ago and wants to make a profit. Minimal work was done to the house to get it sellable (carpet and paint), so the profit margin is pretty low. The owner's real estate agent is a relative. I think that should tell you everything you need to know. :)
The photos are usually taken by the listing agent. I tell my clients I am a better Realtor than photographer, but totally get your point! If you are ready to start looking at homes in person and don't yet have an agent, let's talk!
Some agents take the photos themselves to save money, others leave the photos to a professional with the right equipment to product high quality shots. You'll get both ends of the spectrum depending on who you use, and the level of service they personally provide.

In my opinion, there is no excuse for spelling errors in a listing that potentially will be advertised on multiple websites and displayed publically. That's just laziness - and completely unacceptable. As stated below - in any industry - you'll have those who take pride in their work and provide world-class, professional service.........and you have those who are "coasting" and trying to do the least amount of work possible for the most return.
Are you interested in taking a look at this home? It has just come back on the market.

It's always best to hire a professional to represent your interest, for many we view the property and take real photo's to share with our clients.
Debi - the photos are provided by the listing Realtor. Some, clearly, are better than others. The same applies to the description. Some understand spellcheck, and some even understand grammar (no, not the old lady who owns the house).
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL