Home Buying in Brockton>Question Details

Briandjj, Home Buyer in Abington, MA

Who is the best person to talk to about a mortgage?

Asked by Briandjj, Abington, MA Sat Dec 15, 2012

I have a bankruptcy discharged over two years ago and have been rebuilding my credit since. I was thinking about a fha loan due to the low down payment. Im a first time homebuyer. Just not sure who to speak to.

Answers

9
Heath Coker’s answer
An experienced local lender will be your best source.
A local bank (smaller and more personal) may be able to provide some individual attention.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Hi Brian
There are several local lenders who could do this loan for you. There are also downpayment assistance programs available in some local communities. I don't recommend calling several people and having all of them pull your credit as your score will be lowered by multiple inquiries. I would call a few lenders and explain your situation. You would be in a better position if you knew your score, that way you could tell the lender your score and situation prior to having them pull your credit. Liberty Lending can do loans for people with credit scores as low as 580. Prospect Mortgage is very good but their limit is 620 score. Harbor One is also very good and offers a mass housing loan product that is very good in addition to the fha product. If you'd like to talk give me a call at 508-326-5860. I'd be happy to try to assist you. Have a wonderful day!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Lewis Wolfson,
My pleasure if you think it will help someone. Thanks
Good morning!

FHA has some hefty amounts towards PMI now...your best best is to talk with someone who can provide a variety of options for you that include the low down payment.

Try one of these folks - I have worked with them and they did very well for my clients:

Kathy Tower
Reliant Mortgage Company, LLC
220 West Park Drive, Suite 420
Westborough, MA 01581
Phone: 508.414.8069
Fax: 253.498.0149
ktower@reliantloan.com

Wes Oliver
Principal
Prestige Home Mortgage
woliver@prestigehomemortgage.com
45 Lyman St Suite 18
Westboro, MA 01582
National Mortgage License #3571
Ph: 508-332-4171
Fax: 508-635-6916
http://www.prestigehomemortgage.com

John Saari
Emery Federal Credit Union
themortgagebuddy@gmail.com
Office: 781-759-1200
Toll Free: 888-740-7442
***Cell: 508-740-7442***
Secure Fax: 781-503-1478

Deborah Jordan
Shamrock Financial
32 Coolidge Street
Auburn MA 01501
Deb.Jordan@shamrockfinancial.com
Sona,

Very good advice and information. Can I reblog this?
My pleasure if you think it will help someone. Thanks.
Flag Sun Dec 16, 2012
He Brian,
Me again. FHA would be your best bet but do you know your credit score? I believe you nee 620 or better. Check it out.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
A mortgage person who works with FHA.
You may talk to a mortgage banker to get detail and up to date information.
Hi Brian,
You're going to get a lot of advice to work on your Credit Score to be able to qualify for a Conventional Mortgage. And that's not bad advice. As for an FHA loan, it will depend on the type of bankruptcy you had. If it was a Chapter 13 Reorganization, you may be able to qualify for and FHA loan after 2 years of being discharged if your Credit Score is high enough. If your bankruptcy was a Chapter 7. it will take 3 years before they will consider you.

There is another way for you to acquire a Home Mortgage and more and more buyers are resorting to it. There are very few of us who have not had their credit dinged by the unfortunate circumstances of the last few years. At the same time, the Banks and Mortgage Lenders, who seem to have been assigned the blame for this mess, have been inundated with rules and regulations and Regulatory Agencies looking over every move they make to the point where they are demanding reams of information and qualifications before they are willing to make a loan.
The alternate source of a Home Mortgage is to resort to Private Lenders.

Many individuals and groups of investors, having seen the vacuum created by the difficulty of obtaining a Conventional Loan, are becoming licensed by the State to issue Home Mortgages. Their down payment requirements are higher that Conventional money and their interest rates are higher but they are providing the vehicle for potential buyers to get financed when no other avenue seems to open to them.

Private Lenders are more expensive that Banks but, consider this. The home you buy today is selling for about 70% of what it sold for 4 years ago and hopefully 60% to 70% of what it will sell for again 2 to 3 years from now. You, therefore will have considerable equity in your home in a lesser amount of time. Your bankruptcy will not be a consideration in their decision to lend to you. They look for your income and assets that will enable you to repay the loan and the Appraised value of the property you will use as collateral.

If you research some of the Private Lending Companies, be sure to ask if they have a Pre-Payment Penalty. You don;t want to be locked into a high interest loan when you have gotten your affairs in order and can refinance to a more economical Conventional Loan. These Companies will usually lend up to 10 or 12 years but they do so expecting that you will pay it off early.

I have worked with a Company for several years now who are licensed here in Georgia, with excellent results. If you would like to explore that avenue of financing a home, here's their contact information:

The Westmoore Group, LLC
http://www.westmooregroup.com
Ph: (646) 801-6190
Fx: (646) 619-4291
The Westmoore Group, LLC is a licensed lender in the State of Georgia and operates under the license #30544.