Home Buying in Valencia>Question Details

Sonnysats, Home Buyer in Valencia, CA

Who is the best builder of new homes in Santa Clarita? I see that KB, Lennar, Pardee, & Shapell all have new developments now.

Asked by Sonnysats, Valencia, CA Tue Apr 19, 2011

I want to know who is the most reliable, builds with the best quality, and has the best customer service should something go wrong.

Answers

3
Having worked in new construction selling new homes for K Hovnanian I learned the the amount of time during the construction process was a key indication of quality. So, when you are looking at models, ask how long it takes to build the home from foundation to finish. For example, KB has the shorted construction time period. Next, when you visit the models ask to see the "standard" model. Even though the models are highly upgraded, there is always one built that will feature the builders standards. Depending on the products or brands used for that particular community will also be an indication of quality of construction for that builder. If you want to know about issues regarding customer service, I always just spend time in the neighborhood and talk with current homeowners to give me an idea. Good Luck!
I don't know that there is one builder that stands out above the rest of them. When the housing market was booming in 2003 to 2005, we appraised a lot of the new construction in Santa Clarita. I was shocked to see so many homes that were "half-assed" and offered a certificate of occupancy. It seemed that both the builders and City/County inspectors turned the other cheek when the builders were finishing the last phases of their development.

The only suggestion I can make is to buy early on in the development that way the developer/builder is around to correct any issues while you are living in it. Even though most of them give you a 3-5 year warranty, if they aren't around locally, it will take quite a while to get things repaired or even responded to.

We have been in our house for almost 8 years and we are finally settling a class action law suit with our builder, whose name I cannot mention, as they never followed through on their repairs and defects.
I understand wanting to know who is the better builder within Santa Clarita but other things are a factor as well. KB, Lennar, and Pardee all have an "extra tax" associated with their developements. Some more than way more expensive than others.
KB in my opinion would be the least favorite in the quality area.
Buyers don't understand that a Realtor can represent you on a new home purchase as long as you bring them to register on your first visit. The builder will pay them and they can negociate for you, answer your questions on the contracts they make you sign, and do your walk throughs.
I always advise doing a home inspection on a new construction home. So many people think you don't need to it's new.
I just closed a New Construction purchase with a client buying a Lennar home. There were items called out on the home inspection and Lennar fixed all of them but one which they felt was code when built the home. Some were just manfacturer recommends but they still took care of it which pleasantly surprised me.
The other factor is location by far. Area is a huge factor in terms of where each builder is building their homes and your investment. You can pay the same price for your home and property value can be effected heavily on the location.