Home Buying in Anderson>Question Details

Frustratedin…, Home Buyer in Thousand Oaks, CA

Who do I get a key to my house from after we close Escrow?

Asked by Frustratedinca, Thousand Oaks, CA Sun May 27, 2012

My husband and I purchased a home inThousand Oak CA (a short sale) and it recorded on Thursday May 24th, 2012. It is now Sunda May 27th and I stil don't have a key to get in our property. Who is responsible for getting me the key to the property, our agent, or the sellers agent? The key is in the lock box on the front door, but my agent says her supra key is broken and she can not get in the lock box to get the key out. The other agent is in Orange County and does not plan on taking the lock box off until next weekend and is not coming to Thousand Oaks until then. My husband and I are frustrated and fed up. Everyone got their commission, but we can not get in our home.What can we do?

Answers

5
Frustratedinca:

I'm truly appalled at the lack of professionalism demonstrated by your Agent. I too also believe it's the Buyer's Agent duty to obtain the keys (and remotes, etc...) and then turnover to the Buyer(s).

Seriously, was it too much trouble to have someone from her office provide access?

Here's what I would suggest you do:
Contact the Agent's Broker, which you can find by going to DRE website below:
http://www2.dre.ca.gov/PublicASP/pplinfo.asp

Enter the name of the agent, review the results, click on the correct individual and then see the "Employing Broker:" info. Then call, explain the situation, and let them know when you want access tomorrow. A reputable group will oblige your request immediately.

In a time when the memory of your Agent should be positive you will always recall the disappointment and frustration of having to jump through hoops just to obtain possession of your home. I can imagine your response when and if this Agent asks you to refer family and friends.

-Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 28, 2012
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply,
I just found out my agents broker is her Mother! She says the selling agent should have provided us the keys. Argh
Flag Mon May 28, 2012
I would be just as appalled as you are! It is keys for cash from where I come from. However, many people do change the locks anyway and wonder if a Locksmith is your best bet.
I agree with Skip. Typically, I coordinate with a Listing Agent to ensure all keys and any garage door openers are provided at closing. A good rule of thumb is to do a final walk through on the day of closing to ensure the home is in the same condition as it was when it went under contract. I usually keep the key during this final walk through and turn it over to my buyer when we finish closing.

But I would definitely contact you agent or their broker and demand immediate resolution. Good Luck!
In my opinion it is your agent's responsibility to give you the keys to the property not the listing agent. If their supra key is broken get someone else to open the box. This is a no brainer in my opinion. I would call the agent's broker and demand a resolution.
Unless there is a tenant or someone like that still in the home, they have no right to deny you access. I would think that would be something your agent should have taken care of. All you need is the combination to the lockbox and you can get the key out and keep it elsewhere. Surely they can provide the combination. I'd be tempted to "break" in my own home, and then change the locks. You can get the lockbox off by taking off the doorknob.
Thanks for the reply, the house has been empty for almost a year so there are no tenant issues. My agent took off to Palm Springs for the Holiday weekend. She arrainged for a friend to open the lock box, but somehow that fell through. Now she says,"Technically its the listing agents responsibility".
He's in Orange County and will not drive here.
We are so frustrated, we need keys to let contractors in to do work b4 we move in.
Flag Mon May 28, 2012