missg, Home Buyer in 77084

Who arranges an inspection for a new build? Me or my realtor? Also, are all three stages necessary or is final inspection enough?

Asked by missg, 77084 Sun Jul 8, 2012

Answers

9
There is an inspector form that should be presented to the buyer that lists a few inspection companies with contact information. It is best to hire your own inspectors. I work with distressed assets, foreclosures, short sales, and new construction in the Houston area and across Texas.

Alan Harper
World Wide Realty
http://allrealestate.us
281-905-2414
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
I always recommend 3 inspections during a new build. One prior to the foundation pour, second before sheetrock goes up and the final inspection at the end just before closing. Difficult to see through walls and concrete and you only get one opporunity to do this so you might as well take advantage of the situation!

Most new construction buyers only do the last one or don't do one at all assuming the builder "checks everything". Most upset buyers after closing are due to construction errors and most of these errors could have been easily fixed during construction.

Worst, when you go to sell the home down the road, the new buyer might ask you to fix something the builder should have taken care of at the start. It does cost some money, but you are making a big investment and this is an easy thing for a buyer to do prior to closing on a new home.

The Realtor can provide you a list of inspectors, but you have to pick one. The inspectors typically look for payment from you at the time of the inspection. The report they generate will likely be given to you within 48hrs. You would likely share the report with the builder if there are issues. A very good idea to attend these inspections so the inspector can explain what he will be putting in his report.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 9, 2012
Ultimately it is your decision. Your realtor should be able to recommend someone. Do the whole stage three inspection. This way you know everything is done up to code from the ground up. Builders are notorious for cutting corners to save money. Then have another inspection done right before the end of your one year warranty and make sure the builder fixes everything on the list. I hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 8, 2012
It would be in your best interest to interview and schedule the inspection. Your real estate agent can recommend several in your area that they have used in the past. Thou I would still do your homework and check them out. I got started in the home inspection business because of an inspector that was recommended and I failed to due my homework. Not that the agent gave me a bad lead, but the inspector and I did not mesh. So with a construction background and several more years of schooling I became a home inspector. Do your homework on whomever you choose to use.
lou
allcoasthomeinspections.com
We recommend both phase and random inspections as part of the agreement between the homebuyer and builder. This way you put everyone on notice that at anytime an inspection can be done.

The benefit of this agreement is that builders and contractors are less likely to take short cuts with your inspector frequently popping up. It costs you more upfront but ensures you are getting what youre paying and can save you money in the long term.
What I typically do is recommend a couple companies to my clients that I have worked with in the past. I will then call or have them call to schedule the inspection.

Make sure you have "your own" inspector do a thorough inspection. While it will cost you more money they always find items that are not addressed by the builder's inspection or walk through that you will also do at the very end of the process.

It's best to have your own inspection done as soon in the process as possible after construction is complete so you can give the requested items to be repaired or corrected to the builder. This way they can be address when you do your final walk through with the builder and you can confirm the work has been completed to your satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

_______________________________________
Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 m 512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com | http://www.AustinListed.com
You arrange for the inspection in conjunction with your realtor.
I like phase inspections on new builds.
I don't think I have ever seen an inspection on a new home phase that did not have a significant issue that needed to be addressed.
It just depends on your comfort level and what you can live with and what you can't live without and what your attention to detail is.
Obviously lots of homes get built without inspections or oversight.
I also see coke cans and leftover lunch trash seal up behind sheetrock. Then you wonder why you have an insect problem after you move in.
Some people might just treat the insects and not care about addressing the issue at the source.

If you're paying for a 3800sqft home, do you want to know the size and solutions before the concrete is poured for the slab based on how the sizes measures up by the forms, or a week before you close?

Only you can answer that question.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Yes, Realtors can only recommend, but cannot choose the inspector. That is up to the homebuyer.

And, I agree on getting a three-stage inspection (foundation pour, framing inspection - before drywall is installed, and a final inspection after the property has been signed-off by the city inspectors). Some inspectors will even do a pre-pour inspection. Waiting until the end for your only inspection won't tell you what is behind the walls or beneath the flooring.

And, Rene is correct - most inspectors will also do another warranty inspection before your warranty is up to help you identify any issues that may have arisen since you move into the house. Sometimes those issues are things that should be take care of by the builder/builder's warranty.
Realtor can only recommend inspectors must provide you approx. 3. You as the home buyer must call make the arrangements.

I would only inspect when home is complete

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas