Home Buying in Ojai>Question Details

Elizabeth, Home Buyer in 93023

Who are good company for termite inspections. Is any one aware of any companies who use more than a visual inspection?

Asked by Elizabeth, 93023 Sun Apr 4, 2010

There are a lot of new techniques, such as thermal imaging, Co2 detectors , specifically trained sniffer dogs etc . Are any companies locally using any thing other than visual inspection?

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Ojai

Answers

5
Elizabeth,

I have not seen any company between the San Fernando Valley and Camarillo on any of the homes that I sold use any other technique than a visual inspection. I Googled the device that you mentioned in the other post, it seems very interesting. However, after being around this for a number of years and working with companies that have done this for decades, the current low-tech process has been pretty reliable.

Even if you could pinpoint the exact location of the termites, if the infestation is large enough with dry wood termites, tenting is the best solution. Regardless of whether any of us are fans of poison gas, termites are very destructive and need to be stopped. The side benefit of tenting is that any other pests in the home are eliminated as well.

I worked in construction just out of college and we remodeled a house. The house had been tented, when we stripped all the drywall out of the kitchen and saw the damage from years of termite infestation I was surprise that side the house was still standing.

My last house, my wife and I remodel the kitchen, again as I stripped all the drywall I found subterranean termites. Easier to deal with, you don't have to tent, but they chew up the wood just as well.

With my experience, I am very comfortable with the traditional inspection and eradication techniques. I think that all local companies I've dealt with, if dogs, electronics or some other gadget made their job easier, they would have already employed those strategies. Remember, these companies guarantee their work after they leave. Anywhere from 1 to 3 years depending on company. If the termites reappear, they got come back and take care of the problem.

Last, they not only check for bugs (wood boring), they also look for dry rot, anything that attacks and destroys wood. These companies are highly regulated and each report has to be filed with the state and is kept on record if I remember correctly three years.

The link below is an article I wrote on my blog regarding termite inspections, there are three local companies listed in the post.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 5, 2010
Ojai Termite & Pest is very thorough at their inspections- I highly recommend them.

Tonya Peralta
http://www.OjaiHomeSearch.com
Short Sales http://www.HelpingOjai.com
You are correct. But surely in the long run it is a better economically to pay more for a more accurate report.
I would be happy to pay $300 for an accurate report given the option. Piece of mind or thorough knowledge are always useful given the cost of the average home in California
Elizabeth,

Sellers have a hard enough time paying $75.00 for an inspection before they get into escrow. I always encourage sellers to inspect when we list, but for some reason there is resistance.

Since the inspection average under $100 that may be a big reason that the inspection are not investing in these other techniques.
Web Reference: http://www.homebuysblog.com
Hi I think all the points you make are really valid. The issue I read which made it difficult for small companies to use the Termatrac system was cost. I also read an interesting study which concluded that a visual inspection alone was 30% successful in detecting termites. Trained sniffer dogs have a 90% hit rate. The challenge, they are a very expensive commodity. So the more technology involved the better the chance of locating areas of concern. I reed many states are now using both systems . I was just hoping to find a company who was using newer technology . Even the c02 detection system would be a plus.