Robin Portnoy, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY

Which would you prefer? a). Sunny apartment with Stellar View on High Floor b). Apartment with Balcony on Low Floor without much light?

Asked by Robin Portnoy, New York, NY Fri Feb 17, 2012

I am a Realtor on the Upper East Side who values your opinion. Please answer the above question assuming both apartments exist in the same building and are comparable in size and condition. Thank you for your input. It is very appreciated.

Answers

15
Sunny, stellar views.... But am greedy, how about water view?
High floor with stellar light. Take into account the noise level on the lower levels. Best of luck!
Web Reference: http://www.hudnyc.com/
That is a hard one… from the way you have it worded I would imagine the nice views and higher floor apartment has nice high vaulted ceilings and open floor plan. If the ceiling height was the same for both units I guess I would go with the balcony. Being able to have your own outdoor space is HUGE in apartment and condo living.
Sunny with Stellar View hands down.

Hector Mesa
Lic.Associate RE Broker, GREEN, SFR, CNE
Robert Defalco Realty
O(718) 605-9300
C:(718) 801-3005
Hector@Mesa4Homes.com
Web Reference: http://www.Mesa4Homes.com
Hi Robin,

I live in an apartment with stellar views, very bright and with a balcony. If I were to choose today, I would not look for a balcony. I like my balcony to be clean in order to enjoy it and sometimes I have doves coming and "poops" it. As you know, doves could be a source of diseases... So, not so nice!

I would prefer bright and stellar views.

Laura Thierer
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Ardor New York
o: 212-588-3000
c:914-426-0075
lthierer@ardorny.com
I'm leaning towards the balcony on low floor without much light; it can't be that dark. I want to know I can get out the building relatively quickly if there is an emergency.
A "stellar view" is subjective. Does it have direct park or river views or is it views of other high rise buildings? Not only is a "stellar view" subjective in Manhattan there is no guarantee that the view is permanent. A balcony is permanent.

There will probably be a buyer for both apartments. I moved from the 9th floor with a balcony to the 14th floor in the same building without a balcony. Similar sized apartments but the 14th floor is much noisier (sound rises wind sirens dogs barking - who knew?) I miss having outdoor space.

I would probably take floors 5-10 with balcony over floors 10--15 without balcony. Most people will prefer sunny. For me, I would have to see how dark the apartment with the balcony is and if it's private. If it's not too dark and depressing and if the balcony is nice and private, I would probably go for the outdoor space.
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
I would definitely prefer the sunny apartment on the high floor, because of the exposure to sunlight and the natural light it gives. The view brings more value to the apartment than the balcony does also.
Robin,
This is a great question because the two things New Yorkers love is a high floor with a vew AND any kind of outdoor space. You say to assume they are comparable size, location and condition, but what about price? Many buyers will make price the deciding factor. Is that a constant in your equation as well? How about monthly charges? I'm going to assume if it's a co-op, the high floor will be allotted more shares and have a higher maintenance. Or in a condo, probably higher common charges. That might influence people.
For me personally, which is what you are asking, a high floor with views because I'm very active and will be outside much of the time so a little NYC-sized terrace would not be that important to me.

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
212 381-4268
jlevy@halstead.com
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
I would prefer a sunny apartment with a stellar view on a high floor.

#1) Not only does it make you feel good, natural light is very important to the mind set

#2) A great view is always nicer than looking directly at another building or into someone else's window.

A balcony is nice, but to wake up each morning to a bright & sunny apartment helps you start the day with a brighter attitude. Just imagaine every morning or night looking out your window and saying "WOW".

Good luck to you and enjoy!
Web Reference: http://ninaharrishomes.com
Definitely light and bright!
Sunny with a view sounds ideal, but I think it would depend on the neighborhood. If it were a sweet little apartment on a quiet tree-lined street and assuming "low floor" is not the first floor, I might enjoy the having use of a balcony as an extension of my apartment. Is the balcony off the bedroom or the living room? In the apartment with the view: Are the air rights protected? Is the view to remain unchanged in the foreseeable future? Without more information, it's hard to really make a decision.
Great question! I'm going with sunny and high, unless it's a walk up; then give me low and balcony lol
I can't help but think this is a trick question somehow. The sunny one is the obvious choice, but then again different strokes for different folks. If you are trying to figure out the value of a view, contact a local appraiser for the best answer.
Sunny apt, stellar view in my opinion. That's what I would want as a buyer.