Home Buying in Quincy>Question Details

Sabrina2016%…, Home Buyer in

Which would be better for resale: a 3 BR Condo or a 2 BR House?

Asked by Sabrina2016%40hotmail.com, Fri Oct 12, 2012

I've been looking at properties in Quincy for a max of $250,000. In that range I seem to be in the 3 BR condo in a converted 2 or 3 family or a 2 BR bungalow. Which is easier to sell and retains value better for resale purposes?

Answers

8
Hi, Sabrina.

If I only had a crystal ball. There are far to many variables involved to give you a concrete answer. I do agree with Lisa that a three bedroom in an urban area is attractive, however, the bottom line is location, property condition, market and your personal preference. Do you want to be in Marina Bay, Adams Shore, Merrymont, or South Quincy. Property value and retention largely depend on where more than the what. There will always be people looking for 3 BR condos and 2 BR houses.

It is what you want and will be most comfortable. The market is going to dictate resale so we have no control over that and if you care for, enhance and price the property at fair market value, you should not have any trouble selling either types. Remember, you're purchasing in a down, however, accelerating market and will be making a good investment. Quincy has been slow to come back but we are seeing a surge this year and hope it will continue.

Value retention: The comparable properties that have sold will tell the story about a 3 BR condos vs 2 BR single families. Your broker can assist doing a comparison timeline for you using past property histories and market trends to give you a better idea when you find something you're interested in.

Going back ten years, average single family sold for $315K with a high of $385K in '05/'06. Currently, the average is $315K again with over 350+ properties sold.

Condo sales average ten years ago was $245K with a high of $290K (same time period). Currently, the average is $240K with over 240+ units sold.

Hope this helps some. Best of luck!

Corey
corey.sprague@nemoves.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 12, 2012
I agree with the answer below about location. That will always be a major factor in desirability. You can't change lot size or location!

But, in general Quincy area- my answer would be a house. Especially if there is room for improvement by adding living space - i.e, finishing a basement, or adding that third bedroom down the line by building up or out. 2 bedroom houses are trending as great condo alternatives since rents are high and prices have been on the rise!
IS THERE ANY REAL COMMUNITY INter action among neighbors while living at Marina Bay?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Condos react first to a bad market and last to a good market.
Fees can affect desireability.
Percent of owner occupants will affect the ability of anyone getting a purchase loan or a refi.

Single family homes have less restrictions, no fees, more privacy.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Hi Sabrina,
In the past six months 3 bedroom condos average days on market/days to sell is 89 days. Compare that to 2 bedroom single family homes at 78 days. So it looks like the 2 bedroom single family home is the winner. Give me a call at (617) 455-5716 if I can be of any further assistance to you. Best Wishes.
Jean Culbreath
I am a longtime Quincy Broker and resident. You would have much better long term luck with a 2 BR house. Look no further than the recent 2 BR on Bowdoin with multiple offers, Kidder, Franklin Ave etc.. as smaller bungalow homes that have sold very quickly and are very, very much in demand. The lack of an association, neighbors above and/or below, freedom of use, allowance of pets etc etc. Long story short, go with the house. I'm available 7 days a week and always in the area if you'd like to discuss further.
Hello Sabrina,

Quincy has a few 3bdrs in your price range. However, I would ask you if this property is an investment purchase or if it is for you to live in. As far as selling it really depends on what you end up getting and where abouts in Quincy. Sometimes in investments you make money when you buy it. Quincy has good value, proximity to Boston, commuter rail and several T stops from Adams to North Quincy. If the house is for you to live in for at least 2-3 years then you may be looking at other things that you need in your house and not just resale value, which will also depend on the market. Talk to your buyers agent and do not go at it alone; if you do not have one, hire one that is experienced to help you,, this does not cost you anything. Best of luck.
Web Reference: http://www.wenrealty.com
Three bedroom condos are always sought after in urban markets due to the fact there are typically fewer available. Two bedroom homes are a tougher sell due to the fact fewer people who want single families only need two bedroom homes. In my experience you have stronger negotiating power within a 2 bedroom home in a down market and in a higher market with tougher competition a 2 bedroom may be more desirable due to lower value compared to a three bedroom home.