Home Buying in Morrisville>Question Details

Gus Thompson, Home Buyer in Morrisville, NC

Which sounds better: Townhome (240000)in mid Cary (Weatherfield community) or single family home (280000)in Kitts creek, Morrisville.

Asked by Gus Thompson, Morrisville, NC Tue Dec 24, 2013

Both are new construction.

Townhome:
$125 hoa
Bigger kitchen
1850 sqft

SFH:
$55 hoa
Large family room

Answers

5
Hi, Gus,

To some degree the answer is quite subjective and dependent on what you value personally.

The nearby amenities are different between the two locations.
HOA fees in Kitts Creek include the pool and playgrounds, and the clubhouse. Weatherfield does not offer those amenities. Are those of value to you?
The HOA fees include exterior maintenance in Weatherfield, and in Kitts Creek, you will pay for your own exterior maintenance and lawn care.

Which is of more value to you: The large kitchen, or a large family room?

If you commute to work, which neighborhood offers a better commute?

Is the Kitts Creek home close to the freeway, and will it be affected by traffic noise? Weatherfield may be quieter, and is next to a Town of Cary greenway.

Some Kitts Creek homes also sell at much higher prices, so the $280,000 price is supported by more expensive homes. In Weatherfield, $240,000 is typical, without the presence of significantly higher priced properties. How the differences support future resale may be worthy of consideration.

Listings in the two neighborhoods:

http://www.nohasslepropertysearch.com/idx/results/listings?l…

There are many townhomes available in Cary/Morrisville in the $240,000 range, and fewer new construction detached home choices in the $280,000 range. Buying where there are fewer choices, and where the future indicates there will tend to be fewer choices in years to come may help support resale value.
.
Web Reference: http://RealtyArts.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
I'm familiar with both developments and would suggest the single family home in Kitt's Creek. I think they have better amenities and while it could be argued that Weatherfield has a more central location (for Cary) I prefer the easy access to 540 / and I40 from Kitts Creek and combined with the privacy offered by a single family and the lower HOA fees, this for me makes the Kitts Creek property more desirable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
Definitely a subjective answer, like Mike said. I have a client who is purchasing at Weatherfield too. She loves the area which is more central Cary and she also loves the layout. For her, the larger kitchen is more valuable.
However, if you are looking for more living space and quick access to 540, then Kitts Creek would hold more value to you. More single family homes at higher prices would also mean that you would probably have better resale at Kitts Creek.

Cary has so many great communities that it is easy to find what you need/want. Are you only interested in new construction? There are so many choices out there, it's very easy to get confused. Please let me know if you need any help! I'm actually from the area and currently live in Cary. I would be glad to help!
Web Reference: http://RDUHomes4U.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 24, 2013
Some people prefer Weathers field because of easy living , close to all amenities and easy life style.
TH and even Condo's are gaining more popularity due to .living lifestyle easy living and modern trends.
It all depends on people's choice of living . Usually people buy benefits and style not price.
I am very familiar with both developments . weathers field has a central location, easy access and maintenance free exterior maintenance ( includes in HOA) kitt's creek you have to do your own maintenance but large family room and kitchen.As a buyer's point o view it's all their individual preference and their easy style of living . You must see both and decide what you really like. TH verses SF .. SF have large family rooms, and kitchens , TH house s have comfort ,easy maintenance . the answer is your choice of living . . Please call me for more information , or for a showing appointment .With all my 30+yrs of real estate service I am sure together we 'ill find the right choice for you. My contact number is 919-650-3343. Thank you ... kanaka
Hi Gus,

In general, single family homes have a higher value than townhouses, especially for resale, unless the location is fantastic and it is on one level. Something to consider with new construction: is it possible for you to negotiate with the builder to make your kitchen larger?

Kitchens are the heart of the home and that is where everyone seems to hang out, no matter how lovely your living or family rooms are, people end up back in the kitchen. If you would prefer Kitts Creek, figure out how to make the kitchen area larger.

Vivian, aka CrazyViv
Web Reference: http://crazyvivhomes.com