Maddie, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

Which real estate firm would you recommend for home buying in NE Seattle / UW area?

Asked by Maddie, Seattle, WA Thu Sep 15, 2011

Answers

12
I would agree with Jirius that it's the agent that matters, not the firm they are with. I've seen bad agents with well known firms and good agents with limited service firms. Contrary to what you would think, firms don't do that much to screen or weed out bad agents.
Do you have any friends that have purchased/sold a home in the last year? Ask for referrals. You'll want to choose an agent that has good reviews. This is a good place to start. I could give you some recommendations.
- and you would be less likely to make a mistake in agent choice if buying a newer townhome vs an older Seattle home.

Hmmm. I don't agree, frankly.

But more to the point, Maddie, I don't think you're going to have a problem if you select someone who is knowledgeable and doesn't walk around saying, "What's to know?"!

We will all recommend ourselves, whether directly. or by bringing up what we think is our most valuable skill set. For example, I think you should have an agent with a design background to help you evaluate living spaces help you think of ways they can adapt to your lifestyle. Then, again, I think that's an area where I outshine many of my fellow agents! I do not think you can rely solely on your inspector - a good agent knows enough about the insides and outsides of houses to, as Ardell says, look at potential maintenance problems or features that reduce the need for maintenance!

As a long-time insider, the way I would go about it if I moved to another area, knowing what I know, is that I would start visiting open houses and talking to agents, curbing my enthusiasm, and remaining non-committal until I've talked to a couple that I think I could work well with. I'd also ask for recommendations from my personal network, because this is a personal-services business.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
I would call a few different agents and talk to 'em for a few minutes. There's a bunch on this page you can call.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Either Mark or Maggie would be my choice!

Ron
Windermere Rowland Realty
Fresno
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
The agent you choose has more to do with your particulars than the area where you are buying. The Inspection phase, as example, for the type of home you are describing is VERY important. Many homes used to that purpose have been abused and poorly maintained in the area you mentioned in your other question here.

You would be wise to choose an agent who is very thorough as to inspection issues and also as to financing issues that can be created as a result of that deferred maintenance possibility. For instance, if you are planning to use FHA financing vs 20% down...some of the homes will not work as well as others with that type of financing.

So I agree it is more about right agent vs right firm. if you end up buying a newer townhome in North Seattle vs an older home near the University where you will rent out rooms...then "which agent" is not as important. Newer townhomes are much easier for most any agent, and you would be less likely to make a mistake in agent choice if buying a newer townhome vs an older Seattle home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Ours.

Seattle's a great place for home buyers, because the multiple listing service is all-inclusive (everybody cooperates), the agents are of generally high quality with good principles and ethics, and there are a lot of experienced agents that add value to your transaction. So many of us have built houses, rehabbed houses, operate rentals, evaluate homes for future potential . . . done so many things to help us understand homes better and have the experience to pass that knowledge on to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Maddie, When you list & sell your home, both the agent & company make a difference because they are both involved in marketing your home. However, when you purchase a home, only the agent makes a difference because we all have access to the same inventory of homes. What matters then is the service you get, how well you are taken care of, how good of a negotiator you are, & well how well you know the area. All these, & other important things depend on the agent & not the company. Feel free to contact me any time with any questions whatsoever.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Hi Maddie,

I work with Windermere Real Estate and I live in, and focus on Northeast Seattle. Windermere is a northwest company and we sell more local homes than any other company in the area. Our office is locally owned.

Please contact me if you would like to learn more about our service.

Mark Despain
206-999-2639
despain@windermere.com
Web Reference: http://www.MarkDespain.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Hi Maddie,

Windermere Real Estate Co dominates the area representing buyers and sellers. It is a home grown company and I work out of the original office on Sand Point Way. You will surely find something in the U District up to Roosevelt area that you would be able to live in and rent out rooms. And, I would be happy to work with you.

Maggie Weissman
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
and I'm with a firm located in the University Village area (John L Scott). Let's face it...we're all great! And we all have our ways of dealing with our customers and that's where you will find the difference.
Hi Maddie,

The firm that I am currently working with is located near the UW area.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Thank you!

Adrian Chu
Broker
Quorum - Laurelhurst, Inc.
3505 NE 45th St
Seattle, WA 98105
Mobile: 206.407.5452
Email: Adrian@AdrianChu.net
Web Reference: http://www.adrianchu.net