Out of  State, Home Buyer in Port Charlotte, FL

Which is a more affordable and better city for retired couple, Port Charlotte or Fort Myers? Or some where else?

Asked by Out of State, Port Charlotte, FL Sat Jun 16, 2012

Out of state

Answers

8
Gehring Realty Inc’s answer
In my bias opinion Charlotte County is the place to be!
One important factor for all of my clients to buy here or in the Sarasota area, is the high and increasing crime rate in Lee County. That includes all Ft.Myers, Cape Coral and Lehigh Acres. Lee County has violent crimes like murders and drug related problems.

When the question was asked for a retiree than the answer is Charlotte County. Cultural we have a lot of activities in Punta Gorda, the culture center in Port Charlotte, but after all Charlotte County has the second largest body of water after Tampa in all Florida. So if you like the boating and fishing you are more than welcome here.

Karin Gehring
Broker/Owner
GEHRING REALTY INC.
(941) 766-0006
karin@gehring-realty.com
karin.gehring1@gmail.com
Http://myfloridahomesmls.com/gehring-realty
http://gehring-realty.mfr.mlxchange.com
Port Charlotte Was Named US NEWS 10 Best Places to Retire in 2012
Please read more here http://buytodayfla.com/?p=539

If you need any local area research or statistics give me a call.

Jessica Coleman / Realtor
Port Charlotte, Florida 33948
Direct: (941) 249-2366
web: http://www.FlaOpenHouse.com
This depends on your lifestyle - as others have mentioned Charlotte County is not as poplulated as Fort Myers. However the Fort Myers area has alot more to do so if you are seeking an active lifestyle I would suggest you look at Fort Myers or Cape Coral.

My Dad owns a place in Charlotte County as he likes the slower paced lifestyle. If you have specific questions feel free to contact me.

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE
Jones & Co Realty
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
phone: 239-707-4575
Port Charlotte is not as crowded as Fort Myers, & definitely more affordable - but that is just my opinion. What are you looking for, & what kinds of activities & lifestyle do you want. Have you driven through or familiarized yourself with either? All we provide here are opinions based on our preferences and likes & dislikes. You as an individual may be looking at something quite different. So ask all the questions you want and maybe you'll get a feel for what is perfect for you.
Genevieve Ramachandran
The Port Charlotte area in my opinion is defineately more afforadable, especially regarding the housing market. It is ranked by some notable magazines as one of the best places to retire. One way to get a sense of the market here is to have a search for homes sent to you based on your criteria. The search would be sent to your email from the Mid Florida Regional MLS. By reviewing the properties you will become familiar with the area and its ammenities etc. Email me if you would like to recieve a search...Wayne
The location really depends on the lifestyle that you are looking for and what type of things you like to do. It also depends on your price range. What does affordable mean to you.

Southwest Florida is a wonderful place to retire. Did you know that Port Charlotte, FL was named #1 Best Place to Retire by CNNMoney.com in 2009? It has sunny days, balmy nights, beautiful sunrises and sunsets. There are an abundance of activities to be involved in such as golfing, tennis, jogging, walking, bird watching, gardening, swimming, shelling on the beaches, fishing, boating, sailing, and shopping.

There are 55+ communities, waterfront communities, manufactured home communities, golf and tennis communities - plenty of choices for any lifestyle at affordable prices. We also have many senior living facilities and health care facilities. The town offers arts festivals, historical downtown Punta Gorda, parks, recreational and educational activities, and natural beauty.

Prices for homes have declined drastically in this area since 2006, making this an affordable, desirable location to retire. Florida is also one of the few states with no income tax. If you live here year round you can apply for a homestead exemption. And don't forget one of the best parts of Florida, making friends. Most people come from somewhere north. It is easy to make new friends and as you retire you have plenty of time for some fun in the sun. Feel free to kick back and relax as you get to know your neighbors. Thinking of retiring in Southwest Florida? Contact me today at tammyhayesre@gmail.com.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty, Port Charlotte, FL
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
I'm sure that great points could be argued for either location but media reports have recently indicated that the Port Charlotte, North Port, and Punta Gorda areas represent some of the best values and opportunities in the entire country.

One of the advantages Ft Myers will have over these three communities is that it will have much more available recreationally, socially, and culturally. Also one of the things we often hear from Ft. Myers visitors is that is is very crowded during the tourist season and it can be difficult to navigate the traffic. The reality is that every location in Florida experiences an increase in seasonal visitors but these communities still enjoy the normal traffic patterns.

We would be happy to entertain more specific questions about the area and it offerings.

Best wishes,

Bill Eckler, GRI
Broker Associate

941-408-5363
billeckler@michaelsaunders.com
People have a tendency to gravitate toward the Port Charlotte area as it is not heavily populated like Fort Myers. If you like the busy, fast paced life style, then Port Charlotte might not be what you are looking for. Port Charlotte has been voted many times as the place to retire. Regardless, I always recommend that you take 2 to 3 days and explore Port Charlotte and Fort Myers to see how you vibe with the city itself and then determine where you wish to seek a home.

I can honestly say that as a local born and raised professional, I have never had one client that regretted moving to the area.

If you can be a little more specific as to what criteria you seek in a home I can send some com parables to you and you can see for yourself. Some specifics that would help me assist you would be bed,bath,garage,price,extras,etc.

Have you ever visited Port Charlotte or Fort Myers before?

Here is a link to a little picture/article that was in the newspaper at the beginning of the year https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74754075/relay.php.bmp

Here is another link with another reference for places to retire. http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/moneymag/0909/gallery.bp…

Here is one more from money magazine http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bpretire/2006/snapsh…

When do you plan on coming down?