Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

Which flooring is best for dog owners: bamboo, wood or cork?

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

5
Rick Trevino’s answer
These three types of floorings have their pros and cons. Here's an article that will help you decide on the style that best suits you.

http://www.ehow.com/list_5824454_flooring-dogs.html
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 4, 2013
Wood is just fine for dogs. I'm a seasoned interior designer and have put many wood floors in homes. They have to be good quality and NOT faux wood. Aluminum Oxide coating i key and get a wood that is hand scraped. You will barely see the scratches that appear from normal wear and tear. Install with NO FEAR!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013
I think all of these may be a bit risky for dogs as they can all get scratches and dents. However I have seen a tile that is cut like hardwood floors and looks almost exactly like wood but can't be scratched by dog nails and is as hard and durable as tile. They come in light and dark shades with natural grain finishes. It's just like putting tile on your floor but it looks like hardwood floors. It also makes cleaning a lot easier as you can just vacuum and not worry about getting scratches from the vacuum wheels as the other materials scratch too easily even with the plastic vacuum wheels. That happened to me as the last house I lived in had all hardwood floors in the kitchen, living room and dining room areas. As I began vacuuming I could see small scratches begin to appear and stopped immediately. I was not happy to say the least!

Maira Rondan
Venture Realty
mairarondan@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 5, 2013
No to the cork. Very soft. Bamboo is also somewhat soft. Any hardwood by its very nature will have give and is more prone to scratches and dents. However, I see just as many humans causing damage to the floors. There are harder woods that might not be damaged like Pecan and Teak, but they can be very expensive.

Key is keeping canine's nails trimmed and all times so they don't touch the floor to begin with. Possibly adding runners so the dogs don't slip (don't bad for people too!). A good polyurethane top coat and also protect the wood.

I have 2 Australian Shepherds that run like crazy. I have nice tile floors.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
if your dog occasionally has "accidents" would think you would want something that is impervious to moisture and stains.