Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Trulia San D…, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Which coastal communities are reasonably priced for detached homes?

Asked by Trulia San Diego, San Diego, CA Fri Mar 23, 2012

Answers

11

As noted previously, you have Imperial Beach in South Coastal and as for North Coastal, Oceanside is clearly the most affordable. As for reasonable coastal communities, Carlsbad may be the best bang for your buck as far as being close to the water, yet in a nice community with solid school districts. The downside to being this far north is the distance (more so because of traffic) to downtown San Diego. As long as you don't have to commute for work (or at least I'd encourage you to do the commute and make sure it is okay with you), then being this far north is well worth it. Of course, the further south you go (Leucadia, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Cardiff, Del Mar, La Jolla), the more of a premium you will see for living next to the water. With over 70 miles of coastline in San Diego, I'm sure you can find something that meets your parameters. Best of luck!

Chad Basinger REALTOR®, CPA, CFP®
858-997-3704
chad@chadbasinger.com
Web Reference: http://www.chadbasinger.com
Excellent answer Chad!
Flag Tue Mar 27, 2012
By reasonably priced, do you mean average for the area/ or median? Starting up north in Oceanside, a average priced single family home is about $350k (a few miles inland), as you work your way down to Carlsbad, Leucadia, Encinitas, Cardiff, etc at about $100k plus for a similar home. Beach close/front the price just under 1 million in Oceanside and going up to about 3 million in Del Mar

More questions, ask: melia@prusd.com
Web Reference: http://www.theindras.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 26, 2012
Hi thank you for your question! My favorite inexpensive area for homes is Imperial Beach! Seven minutes down The Strand to Coronado. Lots of military, retired & families...Very quiet & Inexpensive! I actually live in the area & would be happy to show it to you! It's called by the locals "The Hidden Gem" :) And, my second favorite is Pacific Beach--it gets a bum wrap cause of all the tourists in the summer but it has lots of great little neighborhoods that are very quite most of the time. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you would like me to send you some listing to check out!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 23, 2012
Great answer Elisabeth. The hidden gems are what we're after here, so thanks for your local and unique knowledge. Nothing beats someone local knows the area.
Flag Tue Mar 27, 2012
I would have to say that the most reasonably priced detached homes in San Diego are Imperial Beach on the South and Oceanside on the North side, as others have almost unanimously agreed! I would aslo agree that Carlsbad has the best bang for your buck when you want the whole package including good schools and community. There are so many great coastal communities up and down the San Diego Coast! I think it is important to determine a reasonable commute and purchase your home near work and the activities that you enjoy. Life is too short to commute...too far! Once you determine the maximum purchase price amount that you qualify for, and begin working with a knowlegeable Real Estate Agent, they will help guide you to the best values on the coast that suit your lifestyle! Did you know that home ownership has NEVER been more affordable since 1970? The year that they started tracking that was 1970, so who knows how long it has been since it was such a GREAT time to buy. The market is improving as we speak in almost every major city across the country. Anyone waiting to buy at the bottom of the market, it is here now, it is time now! Don't miss it this time around, as many did last time.

Chris Gorno
windermere Real Estate
DRE #01499885
http://www.ChrisGorno.com
619.788.4345
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 23, 2012
It really depends on what your definition of reasonable is. Real estate prices are determined most by location, location, location. As you are aware, coastal communities are a premium over inland communities and will hold their values over time better. For example, from our statistical paek in 2005, north county coastal prices have come back around 20% to 25%. The further inland you go, the more volatility in prices. Other factors play into this as well such as types of communities, schools, services, proximity to jobs and commutes.

The first question would be what factors are important to you. This could be young family neighborhoods, schools, size of homes and era of architecture, etc. Or are you looking for quiet coastal beach town communities where you can walk to restaurants, shops and services?

Once you determine these factors, you can begin to understand what communities are the right fit and then determine where budget fits in.

With prices bouncing along the bottom, this is about as reasonable as it it going to get some may argue.

The fundamentals of San Diego real estate are so strong that it is unlikely that any coastal neighborhoods would have a negative future outlook.

Feel free to email me any questions or if you would like to chat about which communities are priced as such, I am happy just to answer questions. 619-417-1658

Jason
jason@noviproperty.com
http://www.noviproperty.com
Web Reference: http://www.noviproperty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 23, 2012
Good morning,
If you can see the Ocean then it will cost you more no matter what city you choose. However, north and way south are best priced right now. I can send you a list for free, if you would like. Dana & Eva
Totally subjective and relative, but my choice is Carlsbad all day long.

BeachBrokerBill
CA DRE 01775528
Why do you prefer Carlsbad?
Flag Tue Mar 27, 2012
I have to agree that IB in the South and Oceanside up North are theist reasonable with Carlsbad and Encinitas offering the best long term value
Imperial Beach has some resonably priced detached homes. The zip is 91932.
"Reasonably priced" is subjective. You also need to take into consideration crime rates, schools, location, etc... as not all "coastal communities" are the same.

Off the top of my head I would vote for Encinitas.

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
760-644-1562
Hi There,
Imperial Beach which is South Coastal, and Oceanside which is North Coastal are the most reasonable priced detached homes. What is your price range? The closer you get to the Ocean the more expensive.

Search Homes on my site http://www.SanDiegoHomeStore.Com
or Call or Text me with any questions. 858-414-5478

Best Wishes,
David R. Indermill
Dre#01232827