Home Buying in Newton>Question Details

Alex, Home Buyer in Braintree, MA

Which area in Newton is more prone to flooding?

Asked by Alex, Braintree, MA Wed Mar 17, 2010

Answers

5
I am laughing right now as everywhere is prone to flooding. As weather and climate have changed so much in the past few years. We can not be over-prepared. Even you thing your home are not prone to flood, it is always a good idea to clean the gutters, drain sprouts, check the basement often during the rain storm.
After this storm people who have never experienced flooding got water. You can check Fema maps for flood zones. I lived in 100 year flood zone, paid flood insurance never had a drop of water!. Now i dont live in a flood zone and has 4 inches of water in my basement with 2 sump pumps!! Go figure
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
You can go down to the Town Hall and look at their GIS maps. They actually have flood zones mapped out. If you are looking to purchase a home in Newton, ask the homeowner if they are required to have flood insurance.

I'd imagine you are wondering whose basements got flooded in the recent rains? Because you don't have to be in a flood zone for that to happen. That one is tougher. If the house is on the market, they (seller and agent) are honor bound to tell you if the house got water.

If you would like, feel free to contact me and let me know exactly what it is you want to know and I would be glad to help.
Probably every area in Newton is prone to flooding when you get 10" of rain in two days.

But in general if you want to see what FEMA considers to be flood areas goto:
http://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/FemaWelcomeVie…

and put in an address to get a flood map.
Just ask how much water they had this week...That's about as bad as it could get.