A_yoga, Home Buyer in 94555

Which area has good school in Fremont?

Asked by A_yoga, 94555 Sun Jan 31, 2010

I have a 6 months old baby and we are currently living in Forest Park area. We want to move-up to a at least 3 bed 2 bath with good school in Fremont. With mid-500 price in mind what are my options?

Answers

14
Don Tepper’s answer
Very good point from Anne. And it's not just typical "Realtor-speak" that you sometimes hear about good schools being a somewhat subjective opinion. It's excellent advice to visit the neighborhoods and the schools and actually talk to people.

True story: I live near a small elementary school with an outstanding reputation. Many people make buying decisions based on whether their child will be able to go to this small, small-town elementary school. I went there when I was growing up (and, honestly, it wasn't anything special 50 years ago). But now . . .

Except that my son went there, kindergarten through 6th grade. And it was absolutely terrible. Horrendous. A nightmare. Reason: He had some learning disabilities and other issues that initially were difficult to diagnose. He's intelligent and clever, so teachers liked him, he did well in class (generally), but horrible on tests, especially standardized tests. The principal at the school was convinced that there was no such thing as a learning disability, or no such thing as a need for special education. And so she did everything in her power to block any help that he might have received. When we finally (over her strenuous efforts) got an IEP for him, she locked it up in a file cabinet in her office. Her explanation: Privacy concerns.

Now, if you look at the test scores from the school, they're fine. And the school has many parents who support it. And like I said, people actually make home buying decisions based on whether or not their kid will go to that school. But we found out later that, within the special education community, that school had the worst reputation in the entire county.

Second true story: After that elementary school (small--about 250 kids, community, close-knit), my son went to a secondary school (grades 7-12) that's the largest one in Virginia. Over 4,000 kids.Its main hallway is more than a quarter-mile long. Lots of parents are afraid to send their kids there, fearing that their kids--especially ones with special needs--will "get lost." Each grade has its own "subschool." When our son graduated last spring, the graduation had to be held at a local university.

That school was great. Good teachers. Good administration. A lot of good programs--both AP and IB, for instance, as well as lots of programs for special education students. Good sports programs. (Our son got into wrestling, and was a Varsity wrestler. This year, the school is hosting States, and it looks like they may end up as the best school in the state.) Yes, the school IS huge. And not everyone has a great experience there. And if you were to look at the statistics, the school is quite good--SAT scores, college admissions, etc., though not at the top of most lists.

Point is: the qualities of a school can't be reduced just to numbers you find on some web site. The elementary school would look great online or on paper, but was terrible for our son. The secondary school would look good, but does intimidate a lot of parents. We were very pleased with it.

At 6 months, it's impossible to know what your baby will be like--introvert or extrovert, bright or closer to average, and so on. But the tips above may help you in the years ahead.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 31, 2010
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Great question.
There are many great schools in Fremont. See the link to the API scores.
This is a great time to move up into a larger home for you and the family, due to low prices.
Here are a few housing developments that have good schools and nice nieghborhoods and in that price range;
Brookvale, Northgate, Parkmont, and possible; Ardenwood, Irvington areas.
It will also depend if you are interested in a 3 bedroom townhome or 3 bedroom home.

You may want to sit down with a Realtor and discuss your qualifications, your neighborhood (north Fremont/south Fremont), any special features you are looking for.

Brian Ripp, CRS, GRI
Broker, Notary
Check my web site: http://www.BrianRipp.com
Real Estate Market Weekly Update Webcast: http://realtytimes.com/REUv/BrianRipp
510-710-4905 cell
510-794-9006 wk
Realtor since 1985
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 31, 2010
I am a homeowner in Warm Springs and I have a few points for you, but as always yours is a personal decision based on your circumstances and desires.

1. Best school district is Mission San Jose, but I don't think you could even buy a one bedroom condo selling at 500k
2. Next best would be Warm Springs since you get the next best middle and high school (although far away!) and much better resale value. You probably are looking at a townhouse for that price or a 1000 square foot house that has never been remodeled.
3. After that the area you are in has a killer elementary school, but hard to get in to, but easier to maybe get into a house
4. One last point is that our plans change due to attitude, marital status, job change and although our plan is to stay 20 years, that is unlikely so you should probably concentrate on your next five years.

Check out these two sites.

http://www.greatschools.net - This is a non-profit site that is dedicated to improving schools and communication about schools Nationwide.

Also go to http://www.city-data.com for a great and informational forum.
Web Reference: http://www.soreal.biz
Hi A_Yoga, you got a lot of great good answers. I really liked and agree with Brian and Don. Brian is right there are many homes in good school areas and you should talk to your Realtor. She or he can help you find what you want in your price range. Don made some very good points about school scores verses weather it is the school for your child. In Fremont all the schools have the same curriculum since they are all ran by Fremont unified school district. some of the schools have lower scores because 1/2 to 3/4 of the students do not speak English. when you are looking at the school scores look at how many students they have that do not speak English.. Which ever school you pick you will need to be involved with your child's schooling. I mean, be involved at the school, help them to do their homework, keep in contact with their teachers. If you help your child apply themselves they can get a great education at any of the Fremont schools since they all have the same curriculum. Be careful when you buy because you may think you are getting a particular school only to find it is full and your child will be going to another school where you could have purchased basically the same home for a lot less.......Dawn
Web Reference: http://DawnRivera4Homes.com
Hi Yoga,

MY information below on the schools is not lining up correctly. I hope you can understand it. If not, I would be happy to explain it to you.

Meena Gujral
Hi Yoga,

Here are some scores on the elementary schools from the great schools.com website.
School name Great Schools Ratings API Avg. class size
Ardenwood Elementary School 10 941 23
Brookvale Elementary School 9 867 23
Forest Park Elementary School 10 964 23
Fred E. Weibel Elementary School 10 973 23
James Leitch Elementary School 10 959 19
John Gomes Elementary School 10 984 24
Joshua Chadbourne Elementary School 10 988 23
Mission San Jose Elementary School 10 993 23
Mission Valley Elementary School 10 956 24
Niles Elementary School 9 897 23

If you are looking for a single family home in these school districts, it will not be easy finding a 3 br in mid $500K, but condos and townhouses are possible. If I can be of any help and show you some of these properties, you can reach me at 510-279-9580.

Meena Gujral
Help-U-Sell Achievers Realty
40083 Mission Blvd,
Fremont, Ca. 94539
Keep in mind opinions are subjective--do some of your own homework--research schools online, call/visit the district directly and speak to the principal, teachers, etc. As far as neighborhoods, visit more than once and at different times of day--look at everything that is of importance to you--then make your own determination as where your level of comfort will best be reachead.
Here's the link to Fremont's academic performance index
http://api.cde.ca.gov/AcntRpt2009/2009GrthAPIDst.aspx?cYear=…

As a whole, Fremont's schools are rated better than some of the other neighboring cities, so you're already on first base by living in Fremont.

The next step is to interview realtors who truly know the Fremont area who can give you ideas on what's available in certain price ranges, where they are located. However, don't be surprised if they tell you they can't guarantee that just because you're in a certain school district doesn't mean that by the time your kid is old enough to go to school, he/she can attend the schools in that district, especially if there is over-enrollment. School scores can/may change, and redistricting can/may occur.

Good luck to you.
Hi A_Yoga,

here is what i mean by exploring other areas and options.....
County: SANTA CLARA COUNTY
City: Sunnyvale
Cross Street: Henderson / Bryant
Beds: 3
Baths: 2.5
Baths Half: 1
Stories: 2
Type: Townhouse
List Price: $665,000
Original Price: $665,000
List Date: 1/30/2010
DOM1: 1
CDOM2: 1
Original Date: 1/30/2010
Lot Size (Acres): 0.080
Lot Size: 3500.00 SF
SqFt (source): 1552 (Assessor)
Age: 36
Year Built: 1974
Zoning: R1
School District: Santa Clara Unified
Laurelwood Elementary- (API 902)

Good schools and good neighborhoods....let me know if interested..
Take care,
Nina Daruwalla
Parkmont and Ardenwood are to elementary school districts in high demand by parents. If you keep you options open and a Townhouse in an option you should have no problem purchasing a 3 bed, 2 bath in the mid $500k range. Visit our website to set up automatic searches. I just sold a 2 bed/ 2 bath townhouse in the Parkmont school district for around $400,000 and had several offers all indicating they wanted the Parkmont Elementary School.
Central fremont is good option you have becauase of relatively good school(parkmont ,centerville and washington high) and the price range you are looking for.Find a good realtor and pre-approve letter from bank and you can find good home.Good luck.You can check my website for homes for sale,school rating and score.
Web Reference: http://www.jogenpatel.com
Dear A_yoga,

This is a good thought, as you have enough time before you need schools for your child! In Fremont as you know the Mission school district is good, and the Ardenwood area good to buy in. But they are expensive!
I have two clients who just bought and closed on homes in the Warm Springs area at KB. We were able to get good homes for the price you say. Now, the Single Fmaily homes are in the mid $600K.
Have you also looked at other areas? As you have some time and can explore your options....
Typically, i like to sit down for a chat with my clients and find out what their family needs are in a home, then guide them appropriately to meet thoso personal needs!
Please do contact me if I can help you further, Be well and safe,
Nina Daruwalla