Home Buying in New Jersey>Question Details

Vanessa Li, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

Which area do you recommend to buy a house in NJ which has easy commute to NYC?

Asked by Vanessa Li, Brooklyn, NY Sun Sep 4, 2011

We are looking for a house with min. 1 acre of flat land, 3 bedroom, 2 baths, about an hour or so commute to NYC (bus or train), between $250K to $400K. which area should I look for? Agriculture zone is fine too. We don't need to be in great school district as our son will be in college.

Answers

7
Hi again Vanessa,

Glad to hear you found some places with the land you want. My suggestion would be to take a trial run of the commute to see if that meets your needs as well if you decide on a place in the Princeton area.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 908-675-0167 or email me at PruMaryNJ@aol.com. I am sure I can help you out with if you want to look a bit further east (like South Brunswick, East Brunswick, Oldbridge etc).

In any case good luck with the house hunting...it's an exciting time !!
The whitehouse station train in Readington will take you to Newark Penn Station where there is a one or two minute platform transfer to NYC. You choose Either the path to downtown or NJ transit to mid-town. You can also drive to Clinton and use the park and ride. This is a direct line
to NYC. View the link below for more information.

The towns mentioned by the other agents are good commuting towns but would not give you the acreage you are seeking.

Call me at 908-392-1510 or email me at kstewart@Weichert.com to discuss everything further. I would love to speak with you and square away all the details.

Talk to you soon!
Hi Mary,

Thanks for answering my question. We looked at a few houses between Princeton and Trenton and actually did find a few houses with large land. One acre of land is quite important to us as I enjoy gardening very much.
Vanessa,

Edison and Metuchen DO have a train direct to NYC....

Gonna be hard to get a house on 1 acre of land almost anywhere for $400,000, unless you are further west of NY which will increase your commute time to NY as well.

There are some other towns like East Brusnwick & South Brunswick that have busses to NY and are a shorter commute.

Scotch Plains and Fanwood also have trains to NYC.

Just curious but in what towns have you been looking online for houses with your criteria?
Hi Kacey,

Thanks for answering my question. It seems that there are no direct train or bus from the locations you mentioned to NYC. If I am wrong, please let me know, thanks again.
Vanessa,

You can also look at Edison/Metuchen/South Plainfield/Piscataway areas.

Both Edison and Metuchen have NJ transit trains direct to NYC (no changing in Newark), and the other towns are readily accessible to those stations as well. All towns are very close to Rt 1, Rt 287, Garden State Pkwy,& NJ Turnpike which can all get you to NYC, and not too far from Rt 22 and Rt 78 which are also alternates to get to NY.

Depending on your price range, and type of housing they all have different options from small reasonably priced homes/condos to large upscale houses/condos and everything inbetween.

Give me a call at 908-675-0167 or email me at PruMaryNJ@aol.com and we can discuss your needs in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you
Vanessa,

It's a pleasure to speak with you. There are many great towns 45 minutes to an hour from NYC. The criteria you listed above made me think of Readington located in Hunterdon county. Hunterdon county has many great towns and large property sizes. I also think Bridgewater located in Somerset county would be a great place to find what you are looking for. I would be more than happy to assist you in finding your next home! Email me or call me so we can discuss the details of your next purchase. I look forward to hearing from you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 4, 2011