Home Buying in Norfolk>Question Details

Al, Both Buyer and Seller in Halifax, VA

Which are the best neighboorhoods in the Norfolk, VA area?

Asked by Al, Halifax, VA Wed Nov 7, 2007

Considering to move to Norfolk, VA area with three kids. Wondering which are the best neighborhoods/Schools to raise kids. Looking for 4 bed/2bath/2cargarages home. Price Ideas??

Answers

8
Hmmm.. Basically, the more expensive the houses the less "undesirables." I'm not sure how many kids actually exist in the snooty areas. If you look at demographics, you will notice Norfolk overall is pretty ghetto compared to Chesapeake, Suffolk and VaBeach.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 22, 2008
Oh my god. I agree with Bubble Boy. He's got a point... but that stereotype exists just about everywhere unfortunately. People live in the more desirable school districts, therefore demand is higher than supply, therefore prices increase. Simple supply and demand. It's the American way unfortunately...
The best rated elementary schools are in Ghent and Mary Calcott in the Bayside area. The best high schools are Maury and Granby. Ghent is pretty price and you probably won't get a yard/garage but the homes are beautiful. Bayside has very nice homes for under $300,000 in good school district and probably will find one with a garage and yard. We have a 4 bd, 2ba for sale but no garage sad to say that's why we're moving. We're in Granby school district and the going price in our neighborhood is $200K. Hope that helps.
If you are looking for a single family home under 290,000, I feel that 300 Neoma Drive is a great deal with a great schools for a family. That is a target to start with. You can check out the schools, resources, etc for all of Norfolk at my resource center buyahomenow.com. That way you can learn about each area in the city and make up your mind which neighborhood is a good fit for you. Welcome to Norfolk. There is much to offer you and your family.
Web Reference: http://buyahomenow.com
Everybody has different standards.This is something you will have to research and decide for yourself. Large fenced in yard verses best school verses snoody neighbors or loud neighbors. Check e-pilot for neighborhoods and drive around Friday or Saturday night. You may find out alot by researching the school zones.
I used to live in Pembroke area of Virginia Beach, it was really nice, convenient to the bases and the beaches.
As Tim said there are many desirable neighborhoods in Norfolk, your price range would help in giving you better direction.
Web Reference: http://www.alicesheldon.com
There are a lot of beautiful neighborhoods in Norfolk. Each have their own unique characteristics as well as price ranges. The upper end would include Ghent, Larchmont, Glen Haven, as well as most of the waterfront areas in West Norfolk that are west of Tidewater Drive and south of the Naval base. Is there a particular area you were interested in?