Jackson, Home Buyer in 01824

Which agent to use?

Asked by Jackson, 01824 Tue Jun 16, 2009

A home is on sale in a town I am interested in. I am not working with an agent yet. Do I work with the listing agency to see the home? Or should I find a different agent to work with? Thanks in advance.

Answers

14
greg’s answer
I always think it is best to have an agent representing your interests specfically; however in a competitive market, you may consider dealing directly with the listing agent--with the full understanding that the listing agent is an extension of the seller! In other words, deal with the listing agent as if you were dealing with the seller directly. Get an attorney and you may consider securing and paying a buyer broker a fee on a consultation basis.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 16, 2010
Jackson,
It is always best to interview multiple agents when planning to get involved in the home buying or selling process as it is one of the largest financial most people make. As a constant multi-million dollar producing agent in Chelmsford, my clients are my number one priority. Contact me today if you would like any information on my services.
Web Reference: http://www.VROUHAS.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 11, 2010
Massachusetts has Buyer Agency, which means you can and should have an agent represent you. It doesn't cost you anything, and you have someone who is looking out for your best interest. Your buyer agent can show you any home on MLS, and usually FSBO properties as well.

If you don't know an agent, you can check with friends or co-workers for a reference. Or if you are interested, I cover the area of Chelmsford, Westford, Acton, and all the little towns nearby, if that's your search area.

Good luck with your home search,

Deb
Web Reference: http://homes.debn.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 16, 2009
As nearly everyone here has said...its always better to have someone specifically representing YOU. And as a buyer, your agent is absolutely free to you most of the time.
When you want to buy a home the best place to start is to hire an EXCLUSIVE Buyer Agent, not just a Buyer's Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Contact http://www.naeba.org for a referral in your area.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home and get a mortgage without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.HelpUBuyAmerica.com
I agree completely with those that have said that you are best with your own representation. Many buyers think it is best to work with the listing agent but if you do, there is a dual loyalty that prevents a fiduciary relationship. What that means in essence is that you are not getting your own representation. I would look for another agent who is familiar with the area and has done many transactions and who knows the inventory. That way you will be assured of the correct value, and of course if you've looked at other homes in the area, you would become an educated consumer, so that is a very good position to be in.
All buyers should have their own personal representation....this would eliminate the listing agent from the equation. Keep in mind that the seller and listing agent already have a relationship. When it comes down to negotiating a fair price for the property, where would this leave you in this transaction?

Any local agent would be happy to show you the property and represent you but from where I stand your representation should NOT be the listing agent.

Hey Jackson, there is no reason not to work with a buyer's rep...its FREE for you!

I am an expert negotiator and I am VERY familiar with Chelmsford. I have family there, I lived there for many years, I have clients there, and I live right next door!

If I can help in any way, feel free to contact me!

~Craig
It's simple really. Get a Buyer's agent to represent YOU. Sometimes a home search turns out to be harder than you thought; suppose the home you are interested in now turns out not to work out. What then? First step is to talk to an agent about what you want. You'll get a good idea whether you can work well together.
I have to agree with the previous posts. It could only help for you to interview several agents and find out how they can benefit you. As I often say, ask friends, family, colleagues for recommendations of agents/brokers they have worked with recently and been pleased with the results. There are also alot of great agents here on Trulia. You might also see if your employer has any relationships with brokerages. When you interview them ask about their experience, what their compensation is, types & terms of contracts they offer. There can be a good bit of details that need attention. See how you get along with them, what types of communication they use, if they can understand your needs & wants especially in regards to a certain property type. Ask them how they would recommend going about your purchase and how they can assist you. Take alot of notes.

Alot will be your level of comfort with them and will they be as responsive as you need/want. Google them, check out what others say about them, past clients, online reviews etc. Check them out with the Better Business Bureau, Massachusetts Office of Professional Licence etc.

Once you have this research you'll have a better idea if you could/should proceed on your own with the listing agent or use the services of a buyers agent. Some buyers are perfectly able to represent themselves in a home purchase, I would absolutely encourage the use of an attorney in this case. It's always best to do the research & make an informed decision. It can be an exciting and joyful time as well as trying and stressful. A buyers agent can be beneficial with their experience in dealing with the issues & situations that can develop.

I hope that helps, check back and let us know how you make out,
Jackson
I would suggest that you look at buying a home as a project. Once you've decided that now is the time to buy, you need to plan so you can buy the best home for the best price.

I encourage you to talk with some Realtors and find one with whom you can establish a relationship. Then sit down and map out a plan, outlining your needs, wants, budget, etc.

Why is this important?

How would you feel if you bought this home that you like, and you paid more than it was worth?

How would you feel if after buying this home you found another home that was a better deal?

The advantages of working with a buyer's agent:
1. Market knowledge - what is a home worth
2. Market inventory - what homes are on the market that might meet your needs
3. Negotiating skill - you want the very best deal, right?
4. Impartial advocate - a great Realtor will put your interests FIRST and tell you the truth
5. Low cost of representation - in most cases you pay nothing for a Realtor to represent you

Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
I get calls twice a week from people who decided to go direct with the listing agent thinking it would faster, easier and get them a better deal only to find out too late that the listing agent is legally obligated to the seller and therefore cant give the buyer any pricing or negotiating advice that may be in conflict with the sellers needs. And of course it is always in conflict with the sellers needs because the seller wants the highest price and the buyer wants the lowest price. The point is, i can promise you will be disappointed if you work directly with the listing agent - or simply pay too much. Our two calls this week from unhappy buyers turned into new clients ... If you want, i would be happy to put you in contact with one of them if it helps make your decision.

We also provide a low price guarantee on any home ... Read how it works here:
http://www.territoryre.com/getstarted.php
Not only do we protect home buyer's interests but we also help them save thousands.

reach out to us any time: help@territoryre.com or 617-848-5407 extension 704
Since the listing agent works for the seller. I would suggest getting a buyer agent.
If you want buyer representation to look out for your best interest it is advisable to locate a buyers agent that has knowledge of that locality. If you have a trusted realtor where you live, they should be able to help you locate a reliable realtor in the area you are interested in. Another way is to go on the web site of a broker you know and have respect for, and connect with a realtor in that brokerage. A web search of properties in your target area may help you identify which broker is most active there, and thus increases your odds of getting a knowledgeable agent for that locality. Going it alone has some protections for you if you deal with the sellers agent, but you would need to know something about the real estate process to best protect your own interests. The sellers agent has obligations to you as the buyer, but works for and represents the seller. Any number of sites can provide information about how to buy a home, and a web search there will help in the learning process. In the long run, finding a knowledgeable agent is your best protection in the transaction.