Home Buying in Mount Juliet>Question Details

Deep Woods, Both Buyer and Seller in Cookeville, TN

Where should you go to report misconduct by a real estate agent?

Asked by Deep Woods, Cookeville, TN Fri Dec 5, 2008

Have you spoken to the agent to try and resolve the issue first? Take the time to sit down with the agent's broker. If there is any misconduct the broker needs to be informed. Your other options are as already stated, local real estate board, MLS board and state real estate commission. And on behalf of the professional realtors in this forum, please accept this apology that your experience has not been what you expected. There are many excellent agents that work very hard and with high ethical standards that can help buyers and sellers during their real estate transactions. We all hope you will seek such an agent to continue helping you with your real estate transactions.

Tina Evans, Broker
Web Reference: http://tinaevans.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
You can also post reviews about agents on all of these websites. There are new review websites popping up every day. Glad to hear you got some resolve though.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 6, 2011
Dear Deep Woods,
First, I'm glad you were able to resolve your situtation.
Second, I'm sorry that you had to go through so many channels to resolve the matter.
Let me reiterate from my earlier answer in December,,,despite agents doing business with no thought and regard to ethical practices, many of us realtors ARE hard working, honest and ethical. I sincerely hope that your situation doesn't cloud the water for those of us who take our profession seriously and work toward elevating our profession to high standards and ethics being used all the time.
Congratulations on a happy ending for you (despite the length of time). If you ever need help in any other real estate transaction, please feel free to contact me. I'm in the area!
Best wishes,
Tina Evans, Broker
Web Reference: http://www.tinaevans.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 13, 2011
Well, Dalila, it is normal for the seller to make the decision themselves, after hearing their agent's opinion and advice. The relationship that the agent has with this person isn't itself a conflict of interest, but the way they are behaving seems to be.

As far as the appraisal issue, why not worry about that later? It might not be a problem, and you'll have more money.

My advice to you is to tell the agent what YOU want to do, and go on from there.

If a real estate agent is selling our property finds a buyer but there is conflict of interest because he knows that the buyer is related to the escrow person and there was another buyer offering us more money but said that our property was appraised lower and that we had to go with the first offer. Is this correct. I did tell him I w absent happy with the decision he was making and that he was advising us to benefit himself and the buyer and of course the escrow lady that was related to the buyer. Please advise is normal procedure?

This company and this man is a fraud. He is only trying to get people to purchase credit reports and other services but can not get you a loan.
You can contact the Realtor broker, local board and State

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
I finally achieved some level of resolution to my issue. I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (which did nothing). I contacted the broker (who denied everything). I obtained a lawyer (who they stonewalled). I contacted the Association of Realtorsfor that area (who took no action, let alone respond to my letters). I contacted the State of Tennessee Real Estate Commission (who initiated an investigation) and the Better Business Bureau (who initiated an investigation). The last two actions got enough attention that our attorney was contacted by their attorney who agreed to refund the money so long as we contacted the Real Estate Commission and BBB to let them know that the issue had been resolved. It took nearly six months but we came out on top. The sad part was that the same day that we were notified of the company's desire to give us our money back the local metro news station contacted me about doing a story on unethical business practices by that company. Unfortunately, we had to decline or risk losing our money, per the agreement. Seeing as how they were one of the larger home builders in the Nashville area, I am sure that they were doing it to others and an expose would have been bad for business. I just wish that someone would have held the agent and his broker accountable.
have you tried the national Assoc. of Realtors? If she's a Realtor she has an ethics obligation.
My realtor in Miami had my rental listing for three months and did everyting wrong and did not rent it. She removed the listing from the MLS and the lockbock and changed the locks without notifying me, she stole the original lock set that is required by the association, won't return it nor the keys. She's locked me out. She is the owner of the company, the broker and the realtor (an all-iin-one). I called the Miami Realestate Board and was told all they do is handle managment and don't take complaints. They don't know who to report to other than the PVPR and the police. Something doesn't sound right. Does anyone know what I can do?

The process should include initally contacting the agent's broker prior to contacting the local real estate board and filing a formal complaint. The local board will outling the process for you when you contact them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 7, 2008
Contact the Local Board Association of REALTOR
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
You can tell: state licensing board, local MLS board and local realtor group, as well as NAR.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008