Home Buying in Pittsburgh>Question Details

Dale Brown, Renter in Wilkinsburg, PA

Where should I start to straighten it out or who should I go to to consolidate. Not a lot of bad credit

Asked by Dale Brown, Wilkinsburg, PA Sat Jul 7, 2012

Virginia Stump’s answer
To fix credit problems, go to a reputable organization such as Advantage Consumer Credit Counseling Service: http://www.advantageccs.org. Stay away from consolidation loans (unless the interest rate is very low) and shaky companies that are advertised on daytime TV or the internet. Start out by making sure your rent or mortage is paid on time, followed by your car payment. Those are the two most important bills to pay because they provide a roof over your head and a way to get to work. Follow that by paying down credit cards--especially the ones with the highest interest rates. Some credit cards charge you 15 to 25 cents for every dollar you borrow! The best way to use a credit card is to pay it off in full every month. Once your credit score is above 640, then you might consider a home purchase since current rates make buying a better deal than rent.