Home Buying in Redmond>Question Details

Ksredding, Both Buyer and Seller in Pleasanton, CA

Where should I buy a house to work at Microsoft?

Asked by Ksredding, Pleasanton, CA Sun May 13, 2012

Family of 5 with three elementary-school-aged boys. I want good schools, parks nearby, 4BR, 2-1/2 baths, 2-car garage. Don't want to commute more than 15-20 miles. I anticipate making about ~$150k/yr, and spending $300-400k for a single-family house. Is this reasonable for the area? Wife is in biotech. Anyplace nearby she is likely to find work?

Answers

7
We just put our house on the market (we are both MSFT people) all our kids are grown and we are ready to be in a smaller place :)

If you have not already found a perfect spot - take a look at this one. Rare find with this much privacy, only 10 minutes from Redmond campus, tons of activities, shopping and great schools.

http://www.redmondhomefsbo.com/
You already have some pretty good answers so I will not repeat what others have said. What you really want to do is to hire a real estate broker to work with right away & get with a loan officer as well. anyone of us that are close to the area would be happy to help. With that in mind, you just need to decide who to work with before you do much else.

I would suggest, that as a buyer, you Google every agent that responds to your question here on Trulia, learn as much as you can about who they are online, read their client testimonials, so you know what their clients are saying about them, and then give us each a call and just ask us why we think you should work with us instead of another agent. This will take you a little while to do, but will be time well spent, as choosing the right agent is the first step towards choosing the right home. Then, pick the best fit for you and let them go to work for you with the skill and knowledge that they have. I hope to hear from you soon. 206-841-9976

Take care, Jirius Isaac
Most of my Microsoft clients want to work within a 5 mile radius of the campus. I have a lot of experience helping people just like you.
The Biotech corrider is just north of Microsoft - in Bothell, with some additional near downtown Seattle.
Give me a call and I would be happy to herlp you.
Phil
Ksredding

If you don't want older home that you can expect to pay between $500-$600 in Redmond,
Kirkland, Woodinville with a 15 minute commute to Microsoft. Any of us would be happy to
send listings that meet your needs. I have over 35 years working with relocating buyers.
Of course I started at age 10 otherwise I would be really old.
Mary
Ksredding,
Welcome to the Northwest. I have several MSFT clients and often joke I work for them once removed. Your parameters are reasonable, but you'll find the closer in you get to the main campus the more expensive your choices become. To have the most choices in your range you may have to buy a little older or further out.
The School Districts close to MSFT are all great. Bellevue, Lake Washington, Issaquah and Northshore have good reputations. Individual schools in a given neighborhood may be better or worse than others in the given district depending on what you may be looking for.
I did a quick search based on your preferences that you can check through the link below.
With your wife in Biotech there are several options for her both on the eastside and in Seattle.
Here is a link to the State School Superintendents Report Card on the individual districts that can be broken down to individual schools. You may find this helpful in narrowing your focus.
http://reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/summary.aspx?groupLevel=Dis…
Once again, welcome to the Northwest. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
Hello ,

I would suggest anywhere in Redmond. Bridle Trails/Eastgate is also an easy commute. The Sammamish Plateau would work well too. Woodinville's Hollywood Hill and English Hills also is nice.
All areas I mentioned have good schools and are reasonable work commutes for you. There are bio-tech labs in the area as well. Good Luck with your search and if you would like further help and direction don't hesitate to contact me. I would love to help your family find the best fit for you all.

Chuck
The school districts you should look into are Lake Washington, Bellevue, Northshore, and Issaquah, You can search these with a goole search. I hope this helps!
Flag Sun May 13, 2012
I would suggest the Rose Hill / Bridle Trails Area of Kirkland/Redmond. There are also a few very nice neighborhoods off Avondale Road in Redmond as well. Living in these areas would give you access to Lakeview, Rush and Mann Elementary schools which are GREAT schools in the Lake WA School District. I work with relocating buyers and after they really research the area, they always want these schools. I am a Realtor but I also live in this area and that's where I would suggest looking. VERY easy commute to Microsoft. You're looking at closer to $400-500k for a purchase price. $300-$400k will be very tough unless you want an older home or a fixer. This is a stable area for home values and is considered quite affluent area and a nice community.

If you are firm on the $350-450k price range you may want to look in Kenmore. Woodinville or Bothell. These cater to Northshore SD which is also a sought after school district. Bothell is also about to experience a revitalization of it's downtown / riverfront area which I beleive will help nearby home values in the next 2-3 years. However, it will add about 20-30 minutes to your commute to Microsoft.

I'm fairly certain that for biotech you're wife is likely going to be in Seattle. Most of the hubs are there. The good news is that Seattle is only about a 20-30 minute drive from these areas. Although I do have a anther client in biotech in Bothell and was told there are a few companies there. Bothell is about 10-15 minutes to Microsoft.

Let me know if you would like any more info, I'll try and help,
Jennifer Nilssen

http://www.livekirklandwa.com
OK Bothell is really more about 20 minutes to Microsoft :)
Flag Sun May 13, 2012