Home Buying in Midtown>Question Details

Jimmy80, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

Where should I buy? Anything under $350 in Midtown, East Sac, Land Park?

Asked by Jimmy80, Sacramento, CA Mon Feb 25, 2008

I've been looking for two years and would like to buy something this year. I've been renting in Midtown for 5 years and do appreciate the close proximity to everything and able to walk to bars and restaurants. I keep checking MLS for 95814, 95816, 95818, 95819 and really don't find much in my price range. I don't mind a place that needs some updating, but need it to be livable. Core Sacramento prices aren't dropping drastically like the rest of the area and the new brownstones, lofts, etc. all seem to be priced above $400 which seems high for the small lots, plus HOA. I work in Natomas and like my 15 minute commute now, but I won't live there because there are just too many risks. Are there any other ZIP codes that I should check or any advice on places? Roseville is the only other area I've considered and there are tons of places in my budget, but I really prefer it down here and am trying to avoid the hr commute every night.

Answers

7
Jane Dough’s answer
I've been looking in the same areas but in a lower price range. There's actually been plenty of things for us to look at in our price range, though all of them have had some significant flaw or another (tiny, next to the tracks, no yard, or decrepit) If you are willing to deal with a place that has one major flaw, you will probably have plenty to choose from. Be ready to move fast when a place comes on the market. And if you see a place you like that's just sitting there not selling, but the price is too high, there's no reason not to make a low offer on it. The worst that can happen is they say yes.
There are definitely some properties in these areas that will sell for $350k or perhaps less. I want to re-iterate what Elizabeth stated - find an agent who specializes in these areas to help you. Often times, well priced listings will be sold after just HOURS on the market, or before they hit MLS.

On another note, there are a couple of nearby nice, well-priced areas that will have many homes under $350k. Try Tahoe Park (95820 neighborhood bound by Broadway/65th/14th/Stockton), Hollywood Park (95822 just southeast of William Land Park, bound by Sutterville/Freeport/Fruitridge/24th), or South Land Park (95822 & 95831 fairly large area south of William Land Park, roughly bound by Sutterville/I-5/Train Tracks/Florin Road).

It will be difficult to do a general search of those zip codes online and find what you will be looking for. If you are interested in having me (or anyone else on this forum) email listings directly to you, just contact me by clicking on my profile.
Web Reference: http://www.erinattardi.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 26, 2008
Erin Stumpf…, Real Estate Pro in Sacramento, CA
Jimmy80:

You've already figured out that Downtown & Midtown is a great place to be, and the other agents here have provided a lot of great info. I'm going to add one relatively small tidbit since it seems no one else pointed it out: if you're searching online, be sure to include the newest ZIP Code in the central city, 95811.

This new ZIP Code was added in 2007 and snakes between Downtown and Midtown--and covers the entire Railyards area. While we won't see homes selling in the Railyards for a few years, I don't want you to miss out on great homes in Midtown that you might otherwise spot online!

Rob
I was just out yesterday afternoon with clients in downtown and midtown and found quite a few properties that would fit into your criteria quite well within the 95814-95816 areas. Have you ever thought about an income property like a duplex? I have an absolute gem smack dab in the middle of town. There are also some loft units without HOA fees in downtown which many agents do not know about. Let me know if I can help.
Web Reference: http://www.ellprop.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 5, 2008
Jimmy,
I know right where you are coming from. I have been in the midtown area for 7 years and can't imagine being too far. I have chosen to commute out of midtown myself rather than moving.
It seems you know what you are looking for so instead of saying too much I just decided to do a search for you on the MLS. All of these homes are under $350k and in the 95816, 95819, or 95818 zip codes and all are showing that they are available to view. Some are bank owned properties so they will need the updating you were talking about. If you have not seen what $350k can buy you lately, check out these listings and if there is anything you want to see, please feel free to let me know.
Hope this helps.
Good luck in your search,
-Alex

http://prospector.metrolist.net/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME…
Web Reference: http://www.alexamaro.com
Have you considered West Sac? There are several great homes in your price range in the Southport area, with generous square footage and newer architectural touches. Some were built as recently as 2006. As far as the communte to Natomas, it's a snap from Southport. Hop on I-80, past Ikea and over the river, and you're there! Let me know if you'd like a list of prospective properties that meet your criteria.
Those are the zip codes. If you want to expand out South Land Park is in 95822. Rather than search the entire zip you might want to view area west of Freeport. MLS members can draw the map search precisely. I don't think it is available on the public side of the site yet. A small area of nice older homes is the Woodlake section between Arden and highway 160. It is in 95815,

Also you might look around T street, just north of the UC Davis Med Center. -- I can't add any entire zip codes for you and still keep your commute to Natomas and Midtown under 15 minutes.

Town and country (95821) and Arden (95825 and 95864) Areas are nice but then your commute to both your midtown haunts and Natomas job start to stretch out to twenty minutes or longer some days.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA