Home Buying in Hollywood>Question Details

todd, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Where is the best place to live in California if moving over from Australia?

Asked by todd, New York, NY Sun Sep 1, 2013

I'm moving over to California and was curious to know where is an affordable place to both rent and buy... Ideally near West Hollywood, any suggestions would help immensely.

Answers

26
Hi Todd,

Congratulations on your decision to move to Los Angeles!

To answer your question, I would need to know your budget and what you are looking for. Depending on how many bedrooms you need, your price range, if you are looking for a condo/single family, if you have pets, or if you want a full service building/condo with lots of amenities, I would recommend different areas of West Los Angeles to you.

Feel free to contact me directly at (310) 717-1321 or JamieTian@RodeoRE.com with any questions and more details about what you are searching for, and I would be happy to send you a list of properties that are currently available that fit your search criteria.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
DRE #01920120
Web Reference: http://www.jamietian.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Los Angeles Westside, Santa Monica, Malibu, Venice, Pacific Palisades.

I'm a Palisades resident realtor, and work the Westside. Contact me for local info, and schools, if you have children.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Thanks Douglas
Flag Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi Todd,

It's great that you plan to move over to California. I live and work in Southern California and I have given out loans to non-U.S residences. So if you are seeking a home loan in order to buy a house in California let me know cause I can definitely try to get you the loan that you need.

Well I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or if you need a loan, feel free to contact me. Also, if you found this helpful please leave me a recommendation if you can!

Brian Nguyen Sr.
Mortgage Banker
NMLS # 659743
Phone: 949.667.2887
brian.nguyen@nafinc.com
Hi Todd - This is truly a question where there are so many things to find out and discuss to help find you the best property. The most important in my opinion is finding out and digging deep on what's important for you. Is it location, is it being in immediate proximity to work or school? How many bedrooms? Is a yard important or any specific amenities if we are talking a building.
Lets discuss what's important to you so we can find you what you want, and in the time you want.
Just in immediate surrounding proximity of WeHo, there's the Hollywood Hills, Hollywood, Studio City, Miracle Mile, Beverlywood, Beverly Hills and depending on distance this list can grow rather quickly.
The advantage of an area like West Hollywood is central location. Knowing your budget on both a rental and/or purchase end will help significantly.
For information in and around West Hollywood, visit: http://www.AboutWeHo.com as it's a strong area resource for those who live, work, visit and love West Hollywood.

If you need further assistance, I'm more than happy to assist.

Best of luck on your move!

-Dave Ockun
Keller Williams Realty - LA/Westside
BRE: 01756344
http://www.ElegantHomesInLA.com
The "Best Place in California?" That is a huge question because the state is so diverse and so large with beaches all along the coast to Oregon.
For climate, San Diego has been awarded the most perfect climate. For raw natural beauty, Central Coast is awesome through the Monterey Bay and beyond. San Francisco is lovely and historic and north is rugged with a beauty all it's own.
If you mean Los Angeles, we also have many interesting and lovely areas, but you would have to come and see for yourself, to make a choice. Develop a solid relationship with a Local Realtor, you will need that guidance to make the right choice.
If you want to be near Hollywood then Hollywood will be the best city for you. The best property to fit your needs will depend on your criteria.
It all comes down to what you like? Do you like the Ocean or are you more into the nightlife and party scene? There are so many different areas in LA that this is almost a trick question. Call me and I will show you around and tell you the pro's of each area.
Hi Todd,

Our brokerage would be glad to help. Feel free to browse through local active listings to familiarize yourself with what is available - http://www.tdpropertiesinc.idxco.com/idx/17640/basicSearch.php

Best of luck to you and your family with the move.

T.D. Properties
Hi Todd

I agree with Kawain. Orange County would be a great option for you. Not only does it have wonderful beaches but it is close to the mountains and desert as well.

Best of luck,

Barbara Grandolfo
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 15, 2013
Yes, it sounds like West Hollywood is a perfect option for you. You will find good deals there and also decent rents if you are intending on making it an investment property. You can view all of the properties for sale in the area here:
http://heatherpaulonline.com/idx/community/west-hollywood-vi…

West Hollywood is a hip and trendy place to be with fantastic restaurants, shopping, and nightlife. I have many clients from Australia I have helped move to the LA area, feel free to contact me anytime with questions you may have or if you would like me to assist you in finding the perfect place for you.

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Broker Associate, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
310-923-2334
http://www.HeatherPaulOnline.com
Hello Todd,
I know you said near Hollywood, BUT do not pass on Orange County. WE have some great beach cities as !

Good Luck on your move!
Kawain Payne, Realtor
Hi Todd,

Do you like being close to the beach, a rural lifestyle, or more of a city person?
Do you have the luxury of working from home, or would you have to commute each day?

Arpad
Anywhere on the beach. The closer to the water the better.
Hi Ben,

The purpose is both a mix including change of lifestyle and work.
I work in the digital marketing field, so will be coming over to continue that,
I'd be happy spending anywhere between $500,000-750,000 for the right property.
Kids are not an issue, but being somewhere closely located to West Hollywood,
Beverly Hills, etc would be ideal.

Kind Regards
Todd
Hi Todd,
please tell me what is the purpose of your move, if you have any kids who need to attend schools in California or you are merely retiring here. Also, it depends on your budget as to what you are wiling to spend for your future residence in CA. You may wish to drop me some of the answers in a brief format and I will consult you accordingly. It will be my plesaure to be of service.
Respectfully yours,
Ben Sepian, M.B.A.
Broker
International Relocation Specialist
TEL 310-275-8888
http://www.LuxuryHomesBeverlyHills.com/
&
http://www.luxuryhomes90210.com/
Top ranking in Google, Yahoo, Bing & MSN Worldwide
“Zillow, Trulia & Homes.com”
Real Estate Services Since 1988
DRE 00979941

Luxury Homes Beverly Hills is featured “The DuPont Registry” the highest ranked luxury homes source on the net
You mean best place to live in LA. Near West Hollywood, I would live in Santa Barbara or if further out, try Santa Monica. Both nice communities near the beach.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
Hi guys,

Thanks for getting in touch. All of that information is great.
I think realistically my budget is between 500k to the top end of 650k
Ideally I would like a 2 bedroom place, somewhere that is family friendly and central to get around.
I will have a car however so a slight drive is not too much of a deterrent.

I'd be happy to skype with any agents out there that want to make an introduction and tell me about the areas they specialise in and how they can help?

Let me know if that is of interest to anyone?

Regards

Todd
Hello, Todd..
I can Skype with you, if you like, to answer any questions you may have and fill you in on the prices and neighborhoods. Your price range is very doable in areas of LA that are quite accessible. LA is a huge city, as you know. If you plan on working in LA, you'd want to be as close to your work as possible, so your commute wouldn't be difficult. If you'd like to email me with your Skype account name I can contact you at a time that is good for both of us. Are you in Australia, presently, or New York? My email is: eclecticlosangeles@gmail.com.
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
Hello...

If you'd like to live in the Los Angeles area West Hollywood is very nice, depending on what you're looking for. LA is a very large city and West Hollywood is in good proximity to some of the most popular places in Hollywood, the valley and the beaches. However, it's in the heart of the city where it's quite crowded with a lot of traffic. If you're looking for a real "city life" it can be ideal. If you have a family you may consider other areas, such as Silver Lake, Los Feliz, Santa Monica or, even, Pasadena. West Hollywood rents can be a bit pricy due to it's central, popular location. However, not out-of-site. If you were to buy, a condo/townhouse would be cheaper. The Northeast LA area has become quite popular to buy in due to its moderate home prices and burgeoning neighborhoods. Prices for homes in this area range, mostly, from $350,000-$650,000. This area has seen much gentrification over the last few years from people moving out of the more expensive, crowded locals on the west side of town. This would put you closer to the Downtown area of LA which has had a complete facelift over the last 12 years, offering exciting restaurants and nightlife.

I've been a Realtor in the Los Angeles and Pasadena areas for over 12 years. I have sold/rented homes, condos/townhouses and lofts. It would be a pleasure to show you around the different neighborhoods of LA, and help you find the ideal place to suit your needs. Los Angeles is a vibrant, exciting place. As a native Angelino I know the city quite well. Good luck with your move. If I can be of service, you can reach me at:
Pamela Brull
Keller Williams Realty/ Los Feliz
Pbrull@kw.com or eclecticlosangeles@gmail.com
626 840-7392 cell or 323 300-1000 office
That is a hugely subjective question and can be answered so many ways. California is a huge state with many different cities and livestyles. Cultures tend to be different between Northern and Southern California..as well as between cities.

Start by defining the term 'affordable.' California is an expensive place to live...Start with your budget, and the type of livestyle you want to enjoy...

Best of luck.
Looks like you got some really good answers below.

Let me know if you need a purchase loan for the property or want to get pre-approved (this will increase the chances of your loan being accepted) because I can certainly help you out there. You can call me at 408-352-5147 or email me at AGreer@themortgageoutlet.com. You can check us out at http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com. I will look at your situation and present you with some options.

Alex Greer
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Thanks Alex!
Flag Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi All. Thanks for the responses. I guess the key things I am hoping for is ease of transport, close proximity to amenities like supermarkets etc, and a great night life. I have been to LA before, but stayed in West Hollywood. Can you please recommend some great cafes and lifestyle suggestions as well?
Todd
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Where will you be working and what's your pricepoint? That determines everything...in LA traffic.
Flag Sun Sep 1, 2013
Where will you be working? What's your pricepoint for a home?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
In what part of California will you be working? What's your price point for buying a home?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
There seems to be so many questions on Trulia about what is the best this or that. And then the word affordable comes in. These words are all subjective. And if "best" is an objective word, then wouldn't that also mean it's expensive.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
It all depends what's more important for you about the location and your budget. If you have kids, you'll need to pick an area that has good schools. Contact me at lenasrealtor@yahoo.com so I can assist you better. Lena Samigoullina
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi Todd,

'Affordable' is a pretty ambiguous term especially when you're talking about living in the heart of a major metropolitan area. Remember, West Hollywood is also right next to Beverly Hills. You'll get much more useful responses here if you can tell everyone a bit more about your price range and preferences.

Best of Luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 1, 2013