Home Buying in Winchester>Question Details

Bud, Home Buyer in Winchester, VA

Where is the best area to retire in winchester?

Asked by Bud, Winchester, VA Sun Feb 5, 2012

We love winchester, we want to buy in a safe area in old town.

Answers

5
jlmgraves’ answer
I have the exact same question Bud, but unfortunately we cannot get anyone to give us a straight answer. We have asked neighbors, real estate agents and people that work in and around the neighborhoods we found homes we liked. They all vary.

And I did find that checking crime reports [as seen online] is somewhat of a joke. For example, we live in a neighborhood that includes million dollar homes and half million dollar townhomes with a premier Country club. If you were to check the crime reports it would pop up quite a few crimes - varying from unleashed pet, to misdemeanor theft all the way up to a stabbing [It was quite interesting when the MedStar Helicopter landed on the soccer field adjacent to our home in the middle of the night. We had not heard a thing in our neighborhood until the helicopter landed.] Still, we live in one of the safest areas of Northern Virginia. So, they may be a start, but they don't tell me what I really want to know.

We love parts of Old Town Winchester, but getting to them is incredibly sketchy sometimes. With all those beautiful older homes it is as shame that so many have fallen to disrepair long before the housing market dived.

Good luck and if you ever figure it out, please let me know.
Hello Bud,

Have you found one yet?

Sony Kim
Associate Broker
Keller Wiliams
703 244 3997
sony_kim@msn.com
Hi Bud,

Winchester has some wonderful offerings for retirees. There are multiple 55+ communities with resale or new construction options. There are also several neighborhoods with floor plans designed for one-floor living. I would be happy to give you a tour of the area and help identify which homes will work best for your budget and lifestyle.
Well Bud there are many nice areas in Winchester many things go into finding the perfect neighborhood. The things to look at are the school system, location to shopping, amentities, and of course price. Many homes have been drastically reduced due to foreclosures and with thelow interest rates homes are more affordable then ever. I would be happy to work with you to find the perfect neighborhood and home for you.

Thank you, Curtis Siever
Gracious Living Realty
csiever2003@gmail.com
540-671-6635
Best should be dictated and defined by your financials, wants, needs, lifestyle, etc.; therefore do take the time and visit neighborhoods of interest more than once and at different times of day; for any safety concerns, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand; Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com