Home Buying in Brentwood>Question Details

Slcheung49, Home Buyer in San Ramon, CA

Where is the best area to buy Oakley, Brentwood or Discovery Bay?

Asked by Slcheung49, San Ramon, CA Tue Mar 19, 2013

I have heard not to buy in Discovery Bay because of gangs, is this true?

Answers

6
As a 22 year resident I have never come across any gangs. I have raised both my children here and can't imagine living anywhere else.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 19, 2013
Brentwood is not an unsafe place to be in. I have a friend who has shifted there recently but does not feel that way at all. Hope you feel the same, forget this safety issue and enjoy the beauty of the place.
Hi Slcheung49,

Realtors® looking to minimize legal exposure to the Federal "anti-steering" Law do not comment on "crime & safety"; however, we can direct you to information sources. In this regard, my favorite site is http://www.crimereports.com

Note: Once you enter a property address go to the "Incident Layers" tab to select what type of information is important to you. Next, choose the duration of time you want to look at under "Date Range" (now limited to a 6-month view).

You can also try these alternate sites:
http://tinyurl.com/a34pmyc

Apart from the "Anti-Steering" issue the following are other reasons Realtors® typically do not comment on "crime & safety":

1) One does not know the threshold of a Client's comfort level. A property crime may or may not have the same weight as a more serious event -- in a Client's mind.

2) As Citizens, we typically hear very little of what actually goes on in a City every day. I went through the Citizens’ Police Academy in my local area a few years back and I can absolutely tell you the typical city resident only hears about 2% of what actually happens on a daily basis.

3) A “nice” area can convert to a “bad” area in the blink of eye subject to sensitivity of the individual processing the information concerning a particular event.

4) I also recommend you take a friend and checkout the Neighborhood in the morning, afternoon and evening!

-Steve
I think "Never" is a strong term to use when it comes to crime. But in general these are very safe communities. Especially Brentwood that has avoided many of the financial cut backs of other cities. We have a very good police department. I live in Brentwood and in my opinion it is the premier community in East Contra Costa if not all of Contra Costa. It has senior housing (55+) and gated communities, if that is what you want.
That being said I am moving from Brentwood to an unincorporated area out here as I want more space.
Oakley has more affordable housing and is very nice.
Discovery Bay has many wonderful homes and if you want to live on the water with a Deep Water Dock this would be for you. Disco Bay also has a very affordable and nice gated community with wonderful homes.
The link below is all the homes in Brentwood for sale now. You can also search other communities from there.
Gangs? In Discovery Bay??? No way...where you live will depend on what you need. I have lived in Brentwood for 15 years and LOVE it!! But if I could afford it I would live on the water in Discovery Bay any minute. I am very active in the three communities you mentioned so if you have ANY questions feel free to ask. I would love to give you a tour.
I live in Brentwood myself and love it. It's quiet and the people are very friendly. Gangs are not something that we have to worry about. Check out the crime statistics and you'll see that our crime is very minor compared to the other areas.