Jason Clayton, Home Buyer in Brandon, FL

Where do I start other then looking for a house I like?

Asked by Jason Clayton, Brandon, FL Fri Jan 27, 2012

Answers

12
If purchasing with a mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously; therefore visit with any licensed loan officer; also choose an agent to work with...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 27, 2012
Get pre approved with a lender before you start searching if you're going to finance. I work with several in the area that can help. From there select the criteria that's important to you, ex. location, price, # bedrooms and baths. I can build you a free web site with listings that match. I'd be happy to help you.

Earlene Lash
Xcellence Realty inc
email: eplashcell@gmail.com
http://www.thelashteam.com
"Turning Your Dreams Into An Address"
Contact a realtor in the area that you are wanting to live in and let them help you find it.
By the time you drive by a house that you like that has a "For Sale" sign on it, it may already be under contract.
By working with a realtor, and giving them an idea of what you are ideally looking for, you will be one step ahead.

Good luck to you!

Andrea Dockery
RE/Max Experts
Lakeland, FL
Office (863) 802-5262
Mobile: (863) 698-2670
Email: asdockery@mac.com
Contact a Morgage Broker first. I recomend Jamie Brown at Compass 863-802-1242

Then call Shawn & Dee at 863-412-0214. We have some listings that are so new they are not on the internet yet. Some we just listed today!
Web Reference: http://www.ShawnAndDee.com
1. Talk to a lender.
2. Find a local Realtor to work with.
3. Look for homes.

Good luck to you!
Web Reference: http://WeSellFortWayne.com
1. The first step before you do anything is to find out how much money you can borrow from a bank/mortgage company. Check with different lenders to see who can get you the best deal. Once you know what you can afford, then you can begin to plan.

2. Determine what you need in a home, not necessarily what you want in a home. Make a list of those needs to give to your Realtor. When you are searching for homes you will find that it is very rare to find a home that has absolutely everything you are looking for. If you stick to what you actually need, you will have better success in your search.

3. Research areas/communities that are of interest to you. Determine what things are important such as schools, proximity to shopping, restaurants, and local activities. Drive through the communities to get a feel for what they are like.

4. Learn as much as you can about the process of buying a home. Some local Realtors or lenders will offer first time home buying seminars. If you can find one in your local area it would be helpful to attend. If you cannot attend a seminar, look on the Internet for a home buyers guide such as the one at Bankrate.com - http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/real-estate/BuyerGuide2004/…

5. Select a local Realtor to help you begin your search for a home. You can search Internet sites such as Realtor.com or Homes.com, but a Realtor has access to all of the homes in the local MLS. They can provide you with information on the home, the area and answer any questions you may have. A Realtor can show you properties of interest.

6. Learn about the contract and what is involved. Your Realtor can take you through step by step the process of a contract. After it is signed by buyer and seller, it is called an executed contract. Then you would want to get a home inspection. If everything is fine with the inspection, then you can go forward towards closing.

7. Know what happens at closing. Again, a Realtor can walk you through what to expect at closing. You will need to have money for closing costs such as title search, processing fees, taxes, and insurance.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Green Lion Realty, Port Charlotte, FL tammyhayesre@gmail.com
My advice to start by speaking with a local mortgage lender and ask to get pre-qualified. This way you'll know what the maximum amount you could afford would be as well as what this would equal in terms of monthly payments. Remember just because you can afford something doesn't mean you have to and as a first time buyer I would advise you to seriously think about spending 10-20% less than you may qualify for.

Now your ready to sit down and interview some Buyer Brokers to help you locate, negotiate and close on a home. A good Realtor will be able to talk with you and help you figure out what's really important to you, whether it's a certain location, or a school district, or having a larger lot, or perhaps a town home community with lots of good amenities and others like yourself. There's no one right answer, we're all different, but as you and a Realtor speak you'll be able to start solidifying your own thoughts on what really matters most to you. If along the way you realize you need to make some changes to your parameters don't sweat it, it's a process and a good buyer broker understand this.

The important thing is is find a great buyer broker and this isn't always easy. The problem is you never really know until it's too late whether they were great, average or lousy. I write about this regularly online, here's a link to one of my recent posts here on Trulia on how to find a great broker.

I wish you all the best and happy house hunting.
Hi, Get yourself pre approved for a mortgage first. You may qualify for certain programs, your mortgage professional will guide you.

Chris
Jason, please call me and I will talk you through the process. The other agents gave excellent answers. Let me connect you to a banker who can help (if you need a mortgage.) Interest rates are at an all time low right now! I can help you find just the right house for you! (863) 640-1818
Hello Jason, Great question,I believe that you certainly have to have figured out the following things, (a) how much can I afford, i will need to get pre-qualified for a loan, that way I will be aable to know how much I can afford which makes so much easier to then go out and look for homes that we like in that price range. (b) you should know (if possible ) what neighborhood you want top be in , because of school values, closeness to work. closeness to other activities that you enjoy. Thanks Bruce Newell GRI Exit Realty Lakeland
Jason a great real estate agent will interview you and see what is your heart's desire and your financial comfort zone. The agent can connect you with a mortgage person. This will give you some guidelines.
Hi Jason,

First get a mortgage pre-approval. This way you know exactly how much you have to spend, how much down payment you need and work out your monthly expenses. Once you have all your numbers together, talk to several Realtors and find someone you are comfortable working with. Know what you want.

Genevieve Ramachandran