Home Buying in Prior Lake>Question Details

Jake, Home Seller in Prior Lake, MN

Where can we get and put in reviews on builders? We recently have had a terible experince with a builder and want to get the word out?

Asked by Jake, Prior Lake, MN Thu Aug 12, 2010

Closed on our home last month with Geckler and Associates from Lakeville and it was the worst. Andy is helpful but then he is the worst person ever. Bad workmanship bad subs bad job sup nothing was good once we signed the papers. We ended up with a money pit?

Answers

9
Write your complaint to the Minnesota Department of Commerce. Everyone building a home should check with the Dept of Commerce on their builder before beginning the process.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 26, 2010
I have a similar concern and less than stellar experience with Bohland homes in Wayzata, MN. The property will be finished in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping for an upside surprise with the actual construction, but the process of getting there was the most difficult builder experience I've had in 25 years of selling real estate. We are building out a condo for a price well in excess of $1M and the allowances they have given appear to have been designed for base line bare bones property. We were sent all over the Twin Cities to make selections at 14 different vendors, (keep in mind that this property is designed for seniors), only to find that we were expected to make selections with no pricing information from most of the vendors who were apparently told they were not to make quotations to the customer. Over the course of several months, some pricing trickled in, but most if it arrived about 30 days prior to closing and contained errors and surprises tens of thousands of dollars over the allowances in some cases, despite the buyers being very careful to ask to be shown selections that were near the allowance. All in all, the process has been very chaotic and not at all what you would expect in a luxury home buying experience. Sorry for the vent, but needed to get this off my chest.
I would report to BBB and on Angie's List, which is specifically geared to construction trades. Sorry about the bad experience.
Sorry to hear about that.

You can try Checkbook.org and Angie's list for the more serious organizations. Both area local to the Minneapolis St Paul area.

Then there are places like DexOnline.com (yellow pages) and MerchantCircle, and probably lots of others.

You may want to contact the Better Business Bureau or Attorney General's office if you have unresolved issues. You may also want to contact the Builder's Association of the Twin Cities at http://www.batconline.org/index.aspx

Hope that helps!
Jake: I just found this website yesterday when searching where to report a shady home improvement contractor. http://www.contractorsfromhell.com/

It's best if you list facts and try to keep the emotions out of your complaint so that other readers will take your comments seriously.

Web Reference: http://www.soreal.biz
Hi,Jake!
You know, if it were me, I'd do a google search for that builder, and see what pops up. There may be other message boards with complaints where you could register and post your own opinions. Or, you may want to search for their name on these types of social profiles and post there.

As one my colleagues mentions, the BATC, Builders Association of the Twin Cities is a good place to start.
Jake,

A lot of builder reviews are placed on this
site: http://twincities.citysearch.com/profile/5507433/lakeville_m…
(internet reviews, in my opinion, have the longest lasting effect).

You could also call the Builder's Association.
Hi Jake,

Sorry to hear about your experience.You also might want to call the Builders Association of the Twin Cities and speak to them about any avenues for complaints. Good luck!
Jake, I don't know of a place to review a builder, but you cab file a complaint with the BBB.