Home Buying in West Village>Question Details

Home, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Where can I go to find out whether a commercial lot can/will build up and obstruct the view/light to my apt? Thank you!

Asked by Home, New York, NY Wed Apr 24, 2013

Answers

3
I would check two places - First check the The New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission of the City of New York. Certain areas are not allowed to build up past a certain height. For example: SoHo and the Parts of the West Village only allow for buildings to be built up to 3 to 6 stories. If you want to dig deeper, I would suggest looking at the FAR (Floor Area Ratio) of a specific building. FAR tells how high building can be built. This information can be found at the DOB.
City buildings dept has a website. If you know the block and lot numbers for the vacant lot address you can check on whether bldg permits have been applied for. Check out http://www.nyc.gov
Thank you - the lot is not vacant. It currently has one storefront business. Just wondering what I can do to find out whether there are future plans for construction etc.
Flag Wed Apr 24, 2013
Typically you can call City Hall and speak to the building dept.

Chris