Home Buying in Galesburg>Question Details

Lightbringer, Home Buyer in Galesburg, IL

Where can I find property in illinois that has no neighbors around it for 5 square miles? Can I hire a researcher to find this for me and where? THX

Asked by Lightbringer, Galesburg, IL Sat Feb 4, 2012

I would like to move to a property anywhere in Illinois that has no neighbors around it for 5 radial miles. Im looking for something either rural or wilderness. I am open to suggestions but I would like to put something on the property such as a modular home, container house, or mobile home. Or if it already has something on the property such as a cabin or farmhouse to rent I would consider that. Ive looked into modular, container house, mobile homes and cheap alternative housing and such and found that you can get something modern and nice for around $5000 to $10000. I would like to stay within budget range of $10000-15000 for the whole project land included. Im aware that property like this is rare in Illinois so Ive been doing some heavy researching and am open to options. The key is that it be isolated from neighbors for at least 5 radial miles. I think I would like to hire a researcher to iron out the details for me. Any tips on accomplishing this? THX!

Answers

5
A real estate agent should be able to find this for you. You shouldn't need anyone special to do this. For this type of property, you could use a USDA rural development loan. You could qualify for 100% financing. Feel free to contact me directly for more information about this program.
Well isnt that interesting. What about vacant farm houses. Rent these if they are large properties? Hunting property lease? Cant build permanent but may be able to plop down a portable? Wilderness property rental? Seen cabins and such on the cheap. Of course could take the whole operation to MO, IN or somewhere with considerable less population density. Like to stay in Illinois if possible though. How about not actually buying all those acres but securing a plot backed up against a forrest or largely unihabited state park such as Shawnee? Also I recollect reading something about governmental land rentals on isolated government property. Cabins and such that looked pretty frugal. Have any experience with these? Well I think Ill definitely interface with a realtor on this. Any leads on such a realtor that may focus on this microcosm? THX!
Marginal ground (non-tillable) is selling in Illinois for 2500-4000 an acre and it goes up, way up, from there. So the answer is no. You cannot buy 50240 acres for 10,000. If it is marginal land you might get 3-4 acres.

What is it that you are doing that no one else can be within 5 miles of you?
Wow!
If you lived in the time of Davey Crocket, or maybe even Abe Lincoln, you could do this:
You are suggesting that you can purchase 78 1/2 square miles, or 50,240 acres of land for $10,000.
That would come to $5.02 per acre!
And that wouldn't include the house!

You cannot afford to hire a researcher, if you paid him $100 you would lose 20 acres.
If you were earning miminum wage, you would be earning an acre and a half every hour.

Good luck and may God bless
Lightbringer - Since your proeprty search is so specific, it make be best to contact a few agents directly so they can tell you if what you want is even a possibility & is so, keep their eyes peeled for you.