Home Buying in New York>Question Details

griffs222, Home Buyer in Sayville, NY

Where can I find information about a homes flood histroy or the street it's located on?

Asked by griffs222, Sayville, NY Fri Aug 16, 2013

We're Interested in purchasing a home on the south shore of Long Island, The home is land locked, but it is only 3/4 of a mile from the bay and about a 1000 feet from a creek that leads to the bay. Any Idea if I can find information about the homes flood history or the other homes on the block to get an idea of the frequency or probability of a flood?

Answers

4
For flood maps see links https://msc.fema.gov/ http://www.floodsmart.gov/‎
You can also check with the local town; you can ask the individual homeowner for a c.l.u.e. report which shows any insurance losses/claims....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 17, 2013
A CLUE report will not give you history on insurance claims but NOT flood insurance claims. The only way you will know in advance would be to ask the homeowner. Insurance agents cannot go into any kind of system and give you the information you are looking for. I truly cannot remember where all the information is housed ,but I can tell you at a later date, after you close, your premium will be adjusted as a result of two or more prior claims on the home which were in excess of $2K. Note after Oct 1st, "new" flood changes, buyers will be required to purchase a elevation certificate to determine premium payments regardless of what the current owner is paying. As mentioned prior, you can check fema.gov for flood zones. Hope that helps.
griffs222,
You can also check with your insurance agent. They can check to see if any claims were filed against the property. They run a clue report.
Hi, You can always check the FEMA website for flood maps but also the town records should suffice.

Chris