Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Taylor, Renter in Washington, DC

Where can I find a realtor to search for a rental with? I'm looking to rent a condo or townhouse in D.C., Arlington, or Alexandria by February.

Asked by Taylor, Washington, DC Sat Dec 7, 2013

Answers

7
Hello, Taylor!

I'll toss my hat in the ring - I, too, would be more than happy to help you out. I'm a licensed realtor® in DC, VA, and MD, so wherever you want to look in the metro area, I can give you assistance.

Following up on Vincent's comments, you MAY be best served in searching without an agent. Big apartment buildings and buildings with small or inexpensive units do not tend to list their homes in the multiple-listing service in this region. So if you're looking for an apartment of 2 or fewer bedrooms, then I'd probably opt to search on your own via the web. If, however, you're looking for a larger rental or for, say, an entire townhouse, then working with an agent may make sense. Small-scale landlords or people looking to rent out an entire home or a unique property will often make use of an agent.

Let me know if you'd like my assistance - dcsundland@stagesre.com.

-D.C.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
I am not interested in apartments, especially large apartment complexes with 10 million people living there. I'm looking for a condo preferable in a small building with only a few units. The condo also MUST be on the top floor with no one living above it. I hate sharing walls with a deep passion but within a 20 minute radius of D.C. A condo is all I could afford for around 16 to 1700 a month unless I wanted to live in the hood, and that's not an option.
Flag Sun Dec 8, 2013
Hi Taylor,

Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience. I am licensed in both DC and VA, so you won't have to deal with different agents for different states. I am here to help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Dear Taylor,

Most of the properties for sale are in the MRIS (multiple-listing) but most for rent are not. Further, many landlords who not only will not pay a real estate agent a commission will not even talk to us. If you think about it if a landlord has, say, 10 different people who want to rent their property, that landlord wants to talk directly to the renters and not through an agent or anyone else.

When you watch "House Hunters", the agents on that show who show rentals I understand are often not paid a commission but are willing to be on the show for the exposure on television.

That said, there are some companies that do property management and might be able to show you what is available within their limited inventory as many rentals go quickly.

I wish you the best with your search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
I'd love to help you Taylor. Why don't you email me me and we'll start the search

Michael@houseguydc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 8, 2013
Taylor do a search "Buy a home in Washington DC" even though you are looking for a condo to rent. if you havent found a real estate agent already. Good luck to you. Take care.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 13, 2013
Hello Taylor,

I can help you with that!. Do please contact me at your convenience.

Proplocate Realty
Sebrin Adem
703-225-8292

Thank You!
Taylor-

There's definitely a lot out there in your desired price range. A very quick look yielded almost 400 rentals listed in the $1400 to $1700 per month range inside the Beltway. Granted, that number includes ALL neighborhoods inside the Beltway, all unit sizes (everything from studios to 3-bedrooms), and it does include units in large buildings. As a general rule of thumb, you get a smaller home for the same money the closer you live to downtown or a Metro station, or the more walkable your neighborhood. So to narrow the list down, it would be helpful to know your parameters - desired number of bedrooms, minimum size, preferred neighborhoods, etc. If you're not familiar enough with the area to know which communities you'd prefer, then we'd need to look at the characteristics that are important to you - proximity to work or mass transit, easy walking vs. easy driving, etc.

-D.C.
dcsundland@stagesre.com