Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

goldenfire24…, Home Buyer in Santa Clara, CA

Where are the family-friendly, safer neighborhoods in LA County that wouldn't be a nighmarish commute from El Segundo?

Asked by goldenfire2414, Santa Clara, CA Thu Sep 6, 2012

We are relocating this fall from northern CA. We have two elementary school-aged children and are looking to buy a home under $600,000. We don't want to move to Orange County since we lived briefly before in Irvine and we'd like a place with more character (personality/history), though we know that's a challenge since we're also looking for a safe place to raise a family with good schools. Friends have suggested Torrance (our boys love nature and we are told there is a protected marsh and walking trails there) and Pasadena (character and history). We'd like to hear thoughts on both those places as well as other cities that aren't too far a commute from El Segundo.

Thanks!

Answers

12
Culver City has excellent schools, fire departments and police. and other amenities.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 19, 2012
Dear Golden,

El Segundo itself is a very cute and family friendly neighborhood with good schools. It's also very close to th beach! It has a "Mayberry" downtown area and the folks living in El Segundo are great.
I would love for you to take a look at my neighborhood too....Culver City. We also have lovely family neighborhoods all connected by neighborhood parks. Our schools cannot be beat! We have a vibrant and exciting new downtown area with Restaurants and Theatres, while still maintaining the small town feel.
Westchester is also a possibility for you with large homes that are the best priced in the city. People in Westchester are often connected to the large college nearby, Loyolla. There are many family friendly events held in Westchester. A family who bought from me this year say, "we know more people after moving here, then we knew all the years we were in our old community!"
You do need a good Buyer Agent who really knows the area to guide you when you get closer to buying.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
Torrance is a really nice neighborhood with some of the best schools around. Westchester has really great schools and is a pretty safe neighborhood. Culver City would be in your price range also, and they have great schools as well... Sorry Pasadena is nice but i know nothing about schools or neighborhoods you may want to find an agent that knows that area....I would think that would be a nightmareish drive to El Segundo. You should go to a map and look..

Good Luck

Madelaine Kolisnyk
http://www.madelainek.com you can search properties by map.
310.869.1712

Victor those areas are nighmare drives to El Segundo and are out of their price range.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
Torrance probably doesn't have as much character as Pasadena. However, Torrance has some of the best schools around. Most, if not all, are award winning schools. How do you feel about Redondo Beach? By the way, there's some cool houses in El Segundo. Buy there and ride your bike to work. Just a thought.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
There are at least 54 homes currently on the market which I found with at least 3 bedrooms in your price range. They are in the areas of Torrance, Westchester, and Culver City. The 405 Freeway makes it easy to get to El Segundo and back from these areas, or you may take surface streets if the freeway traffic happens to be at a standstill. You have miles of beaches to the West and easy access to Los Angeles International Airport to the North. Pasadena is much farther away from El Segundo and the commute would be much more difficult. You can compare the distances on a Los Angeles County map.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 7, 2012
Hi!

I actually live in Torrance on the Weekdays and Pasadena (Arcadia) on the Weekends so I know the area extremely well. Both cities well give you easy access to nature. Palos Verdes & San Pedro with Torrance. The San Gabriel Mountains, Griffith Park, and the Huntington Library for Pasadena. Both areas will also get you a home under $600,000.

If your family is going to be in El Segundo, then I would recommend getting a home in Torrance, Gardena, Rendondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, and that area. The commute from Pasadena, Alhambra, etc. will take you over an hour each way if there is traffic. The same with Culver City and Marina Del Rey.

If your focus is great schools, there are some wonderful ones in Torrance. Personally, I would recommend the DaVinci Charter School System. It's in the Wiseburn School District in Hawthorne which is just East of El Segundo.

If you want help finding a home in one of these areas, let me know and we'll work together to find you the perfect home. I just found a beautiful 2 bedroom in Redondo Beach for a couple last month. We only got it because we submitted the offer the day the home was listed... hahaha.

I would appreciate it if you pick my answer as the "best". Good luck and have a great day!

-William
310-256-3729
DRE #01903501
GoldenLandInc.com
Golden Land Investments & Financial, Inc.
I agree with Torrance (and not just because I live in and work there)! South, West and Central would be your best best! Great Schools gives some wonderful school info!

Stephanie Hart
Broker-Associate
Forecast Realty, Inc.
310-918-6856
CA DRE 01338444
http://www.hartssellsouthbay.com
Pasadena area is a great metro commute route to El Segundo, speaking only from experience and having relative who all teach in Pasadena and clients who actually do work as an engineer in El Segundo. Torrance is great too and geographically closer to El Seg. But it's spread out and there are some great pocket. Try to focus on the Hollywood Riveria district ( not in Hollywood) or Wisteria both in Torrance. My sister in law teaches in that district so I can easily say that some of the schools are recommendable. You can access data about safety and schools from the local giv websites.

Considering your price range and need for good schools, Torrance is clearly your best choice! I suggest both the West HS or South HS areas will fit your budget nicely. My daughter graduated from South.

Bill Hooper
RE/MAX
bhooper@remax.net
Pasadena is pricey, Torrance is just OK.
Family friendly neighborhoods are
Larchmont village
Hancock Park
Beverlywood
Parts of Laurel Canyon are good especially because of the Wonderland School District( you may find something there in your price range but it will be a fixer upper
Brentwood of course
Santa Monica
Palisades
You may do well with your budget in Tarzana, Calabasas or parts of Studio city
As well as an area called Sunset Park(, by Venice).
Victor
Check out Hancock Park/Larchmont area.

New listing videos @

http://www.facebook.com/hugo.coldwell

Contact me for additional information. Best wishes!

Hugo
Hi Goldenfire,
Torrance isn't filled with character homes, as is Pasadena. There are other areas closer to El Segundo which do have character homes in your price range. Would love to help you discover those. :)

Diane McDonald
Prudential California Realty
20 Years of Sales and Service