Home Buying in Washington>Question Details

Jesse Kimber…, Home Buyer in Alexandria, VA

Where are some historic/victorian townhomes in this area?

Asked by Jesse Kimberly, Alexandria, VA Sat Aug 24, 2013

Answers

6
The District of Columbia has many vibrant historic areas that feature beautiful homes. Feel free to look in Cleveland Park, Anacostia, Capitol Hill, Foxhall, Deanwood, Striver's Row on U Street NW and others. The Eckington and Bloomingdale areas are not officially designated historic yet; however, these charming neighborhoods have beautiful historic housing stock. I am a former member of the DC Historic Preservation Review Board and would absolutely love to discuss this with you.

Feel free to call me at (202) 556-5823 and I will gladly assist you in this regard. Thank you for your question.

Kathy
If you're looking for Victorian - and affordable - you would want to look just outside the metro DC area. Ellicott City and Laurel have some great ones, not far from Baltimore, not far from DC in a wide range of prices. For really affordable, look at Frederick and smaller towns in Frederick County, all within an hour's drive of DC - Adamstown, Buckeystown, Point of Rocks, look at the Braddock Heights area of Frederick. If you want Virginia, look at Fredericksburg or the historic area of Manassas.

All of these areas are also commutable to DC via heavy rail - MARC in MD and VRE in Virginia. I actually live in Brunswick, MD in an post revolutionary war stone farm house. Someone recently purchased a 4,000 sq ft Victorian in downtown Brunswick (one I've had my eye on for years), in decent shape, for less than $200,000 and turned it into a boarding house. My husband commutes on the MARC from Brunswick to Capitol Hill every day, as do LOTS of folks who live out here.
The most historic area in the region is Old Town Alexandria - it predates our nation's independence and used to be the stomping grounds of George Washington. The second most historic area is the Georgetown of DC, which predates the establishment of The District. But there are plenty of other historic areas in the city, including Dupont Circle, LeDroit Park, Logan Circle, Mount Pleasant, Capitol Hill, Cleveland Park, Shaw, U Street, Woodley Park, Washington Heights, etc., etc. If you like the Victorian style, then Capitol Hill, Logan Circle, or Dupont Circle are good areas to peruse.
And of course, the Capitol Hill area, as well as Barracks Row, and various neighborhoods in the NW such as Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Kalorama, and Georgetown, but these all run a bit pricier.
They are found in many parts of DC, in such areas as Bloomingdale (my favorite), Shaw, LeDroit Park, Logan Circle, Eckington, and others. Let me know if you want me to find one for you.
Which part of Washington are you asking about Jesse?