Home Buying in Naples>Question Details

Home Seeker, Home Buyer in Naples, FL

Where are pets restricted in SW FL housing choices?

Asked by Home Seeker, Naples, FL Wed Apr 1, 2009

I am wondering where dogs are welcome or not in Naples/SW FL housing choices. I looked at single family houses and in the MLS over 90% listed pets ok. I looked at non-single family housing and found that over 90% were not marked pets ok. (417 out of 5800). I assume that means that the vast majority of condo communities do not allow any pets?

What are the restrictions by pet in general? Cats? Dogs? Dogs over XX pounds?

I ask because we have a well behaved standard poodle that is approx 55 lbs.

Are there a list of communities that are pet/dog friendly?

Answers

4
Home Seeker,

Your question is a good one......but not easily answered because the regulations involving pet ownership varies from one home owners association to another.

The best way to access this information is to do so with the assistance of a real estate professional. There are a few communities that are "pet friendly" however, you are correct with your theory of the majority of condos not allowing any pets.
I can understand your frustration. Unfortunately the Naples Board of Realtors and the Sunshine MLS have not allowed enough search fields for pets. Most single family residences will allow domestic pets. Condos are another matter. It would be nice if each listing agent looked at the condo rules and regs to determine what kind of pets are allowed, how many pets are allowed and if their are any size or weight restrictions. If would be even better if the MLS had fields you could search for dogs and cats, number of pets, size of pets, or weight of pets and then monetarily fine the agent if that listing did not fill in these fields. Right now the only fields that are in the MLS pet field are: Limits, No Approval Needed, Not Allowed or With Approval.

What these current search fields boil down to is that I would have to call every listing that reads Limits or With Approval to find out what the restrictions for having a pet would be. I think you can imagine the amount of time that would take. I have lobbied for YEARS to have the MLS change the pet fields to no avail.

A good rule of thumb to go by is that high rises will usually restrict dogs you can not carry. The pet rules for any other type of condo would have to be individually checked.

I can tell you that Lambiance, http://Lambiance.wordpress.com , in Pelican Bay, http://lambiance.wordpress.com/about-pelican-bay/ ,will allow one pet any size with no weight restriction. Covington Row at the Crescent in Pelican Bay will allow two pets less than 25 pounds.
Hello Home Seeker,

Although some communities have restrictions and prohibitions, most do not and restrictions are an individual owner choice. I am assuming you are refering to 'domestic pets'.

If you would like to discuss this further with me, phone me directly at 239-560-0014.

Dennis Leffert, J.D.
Lic Real Estate Broker
Dear Homeseeker,

Condo associations very typically will allow pets but control it by weight and number limitations. Single Family homes usually dont have these limitations.

Any other questions please feel free to contact me directly at 239-777-0408 or my website http://www.NaplesRealestateshop.com