Home Buying in Boston>Question Details

Georgia, Home Buyer in Darien, CT

Where are good places to live in greater Boston area with good schools and reasonable commute on public transport?

Asked by Georgia, Darien, CT Fri Dec 4, 2009

My husband is looking at a job in Boston and we would be moving from Darien, CT. We have 4 children in highschool/middleschool/elementary. Schooling is really important, and we are looking at buying a decent sized home (4 beds) for under $1m in a family area. Any suggestions?

One of the good ares to look for is Melrose and there is also Wichester which has an excellent school system. It all depend on your budget. The hoses prices in Winchester are higher than Melrose.
Web Reference: http://www.greatschools.net
It real depends on your budget. If you have a million dollars to spend the answer is unequivocally Brookline MA. The Town of Brookline MA is not Boston but if you look at the map it is situated like a Boston neighborhood. It peninsulas into Kenmore square. Absolutely the best schools in the WORLD. All the educators want to live there. Green line takes you downtown in 15 minutes.
Hope this helps, Jeff Persons ABR http://wesellboston.net/
Hi Georgia,

I would look in the Wellesley, Wayland and Weston area.The school systems are the best in the state and the commute to Boston is less than a half hour.

Please feel free to contact me at 617-901 7600 or email at michael@bostonrealestate.net
if you have additional questions.

Best of luck !

Michael Carucci
Boston Real Estate Group
53 Hereford Street at Newbury Street
Boston,Massachusetts 02115
Hi Georgia
There are some good areas around Boston that you can choose from, that also have good school system. one of them is Cambridge it is more like a city . it also depends on your life style, do you prefers a City like or rural, country... Brookline , and Newton will be also a good area to look at. They have great school system.
One of the north areas that is also close to Boston is Melrose. if you go little furthure to the north you will find Stoneham, Reading, North Reading and Andover (great school system).
these are some of the choices but the best I can mention is Winchester and Acton (excellent school system).
please check this website about school ranking :

Hope that helps
please feel free to contact me for any questions, I would love to talk to you about it. and give you some ideas
my phone nubmer is :

if you would like to send me your email I will be glad to email you some information about different areas and schools. I have 2 kids in the school and I know how important to check the school system in the area and how this can effect your decision. Also one of the best suggestion if you are planning to come and visit some of these areas in Mass, is to make an appointment with some of the schools for a tour visit, so they can provide you with information and answer your questionsabout their schools.They are a great help.

Good Luck

Maha Nassar Hanania
Real Estate Agent
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Hi Georgia,

I warn you that you are about to be flooded with answers because YOURS is one of the most commonly-asked questions of real estate agents in our area! There are many experienced agents who share their expertise so listen to what they have to say and then come on out for a tour of some of the areas that seem like a good fit for your family! I cover a wide geographical area but am certainly partial to the following towns for their excellent schools, wonderful sense of community, and ease of commute to Boston by car or commuter rail train: Acton, Harvard, Northborough, Southborough, Westborough, Sudbury, and Andover....just to name a few. Staying well under $1m will NOT be a problem in any of these towns. Some of the towns that are closer to Boston and still offer wonderful public schools are Newton and Wellesley.

I am a Relocation Specialist and always point my clients to the following websites to do some of their own research about the various towns that they are considering.

If you'd like any assistance streamlining the process, as it WILL be overwhelming since you have so many wonderful towns to from which to choose!

Best of Luck!

Judy Boyle
Weichert Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
If you are familiar with areas, make the time and explore a few neighborhoods, check out all that is important to you and your lifestyle--check out shops, parks, transportation, dine at local eateries etc., you'll be glad you did and thank yourself later--then take it from there. Look at everything firsthand as opinions are just that and ultimately it's a decision for you to make.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
Hi Georgia,

I know Darien well. A very similar town in many respects is Hingham on the South Shore. Great schools, great downtown area, water and beach community, multiple options for commuting into Boston; Greenbush Commuter rail which just went into operation two years ago, two ferry options (which go right into Rowes Wharf; one being out of Quincy), and of course two ways to drive.

You would absolutely love this town. In addition there are other similar towns w great systems in the area; Cohasset, Norwell, Duxbury.

I worked that South Shore market for two years selling single family listings all over the place so know it well.

Please let me know if I might be of assistance.

Charlie Abrahams
Web Reference: http://www.condodomain.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
I have a myriad of communities coming to mind using the criteria you provided. However to best answer your question I would have to respond with another question...what type of neighborhood setting are looking for? Suburban, rural, walking neighborhood, country estate type setting Etc? Furthermore when you say "reasonable commute on public transportation;" what would you consider a reasonable commute time? And lastly would you like a community similar to where you currently live or do you have another vision in mind? If you can provide any more information I'd be happy to make some concrete suggestions. I hope this helps.
K. L. Santos
Web Reference: http://www.kevinlsantos.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009
Brookline is a very short commute to downtown with excellent schools, but it tends to be expensive.
Anoterh good choice a little far away is Needham. I am an Accredited Buyer's Broker, please check out my web site.
Best of luck,
Monroe Heyman
Web Reference: http://www.MonroeHeyman.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 4, 2009