Jean Rosenfe…, Home Buyer in 90272

Where are accessible single family homes listed in the los angeles westside real estate market place?

Asked by Jean Rosenfeld, 90272 Fri Oct 4, 2013

Most SFHs in west LA were built before the Fair Housing Act required accessible dwellings, ca. 1991. How can handicapped buyers find inventory especially in a market with such low inventory and an even lower number of single level houses?

Answers

5
Hi Jean,

It sounds like you could use the help of a local real estate agent.

Send me your email to JamieTian@RodeoRE.com and I would be happy to send you a list of properties that fit your criteria.

Jamie Tian
Rodeo Realty
(310) 717-1321
JamieTian@RodeoRE.com
http://www.JamieTian.com
DRE #01920120
Web Reference: Http://www.jamietian.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 4, 2013
Hi Jean,
I would look for a "single level" home for you, or a single level condo (they do exist).
. I would also put you in touch with my contractor who specializes in accommodations. He installs grab bars and hand rails and other conveniences that make life with a disability easier. You will most likely have to add these to any older home you find. The newer Condo developments will have some features, but rarely will you find the grab bars pre installed.
The best way to find homes is to have a real estate agent. This is the first step in the home buying process. Next, you will want to get pre-approved for purchase loan.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Hi Jean,

I became curious about the availability of homes with accessibility features after answering your question and performed a search for all the homes that have them which are west of the 405 Freeway from Pacific Palisades to the airport.

Surprisingly, only five listings came up. Four are south of the 10 Freeaway and all are under $1M. The fifth is just north of the freeway close to the Exposition light rail corridor that's under construction. I'll be glad to send you these listings if you'd like.

I was amazed that there aren't any listings in Santa Monica or Palisades right now that are designated as having these features.

Take Care
Hi Jean,

There are accesibiity fields available when agents and brokers list properties for sale on the MLS. Any real estate agent/broker should be able to perform searches for you using professional programs that sift through the many properties on the market for only the ones with various accessibility improvements.

I don't know how much of this functionality is included in online search tools that are available to consumers though it seems like you've had difficulty getting this kind of information. I'd like to add that there are plenty of other good reasons for having an agent early on in your search for a new home... but that's another subject.

Best of Luck