Home Buying in Germantown>Question Details

Kim Gayle, Both Buyer and Seller in Trenton, NJ

When you buy a property to live in with cash in Philadephia can you do the occupancy inspection after the closing date?

Asked by Kim Gayle, Trenton, NJ Sat Feb 16, 2013

The property is a single family house in Philadelphia expected to close in 1 month and used as a primary residence for my family.

This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3108824208-5369-Priscilla-St-…

Help the community by answering this question:


Larry Lichtman’s answer
The City Certificate should be ordered and received before settlement. Even if you pay cash, you hopefully will still purchase title insurance. In order to insure title, the settlement clerk will want to see the City Cert. YOU definitely want to see it so you know it is clean.

What sometimes may happen is there are no liens so title is currently clean, yet there may be violations and fines due on the property that haven't yet been sent to collection.

Please play it safe and get the Cert before settlement. Good Luck. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.

All the best,
Larry Lichtman, CNE
REALTOR, Property Manager
Your Real Estate Resource For Life
Cell/Text: (267) 254-7994

Real Estate Sales & Leasing
Property Development, Management & Insurance
1611 Snyder Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19145
Office: (215) 271-7070
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
Yes good advice I will get a cert and title insurance before closing, thanks.
Flag Sun Feb 17, 2013
Good Evening 3kg,

You Should call city hall and see if there are any city violations on the home that need to be cleared prior to you taking ownership. There may be fines to be satisfied also..... You should do this prior to closing so you make the current home owner is obligated to satisfy fines- or violations ( if any). Usually an agent would handle this for you?

All the Best John Curci RE/MAX 215=757-2889
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
very helpful advice, thank you
Flag Sun Feb 17, 2013
The City Certification or U and O Cert. is a non-inspection type cert. The City checks their records to see if there are any open violations OF RECORD and also if the use is legal.

They do not inspect the home.

As far as a home inspection before purchase, I would highly recommend that be done as a contingency to the agreement of sale.

Good Luck!

Robert C. Weiss
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
Thank you, all your answers have been helpful.
Flag Sat Feb 16, 2013
Same with the other two entries. I would always get the property inspected. If nothing else you know exactly what is wrong with the house even if you purchase it, so that you can fix it up as you go along.

I have shown this property already a few days ago. Let me know if you would like to go through it again. Let me know what day works best for you.

Jon Unrath
Weichert Realtors Media
267 968 1505
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
Im going to be there Sunday I would like to take a look at it.
Flag Sat Feb 16, 2013
Well you can, however I would not advise you to do that. The seller, at closing will provide you with a Use and Occupancy Certification. But the City of Phila. will give this to the seller as long as there are NO violations. If there are violations, you can receive a conditional cert. and you will have to make the corrections. Unlike some of the areas outside of the city where the townships will require an inspection, by there own inspectors.

You must have smoke and carbon detectors.

If you plan to move your family into this property, and you are from out of town and can't at least put your own eyes on it, I recommend calling a friend to take a look or better yet a licensed or certified Home Inspector. I can recommend a good inspector. This is worth it's weight in gold.

Remember--- Buyer beware
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
In philadelphia there is no occupany inspection on single family homes unless it is new construction.
The city cert or U&O as it is called should be provided by the seller.
If you are referring to a home inspection, I
Would suggest doing that before you
Purchase the home
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
thank you
Flag Sat Feb 16, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer