Home Buying in Bal Harbour>Question Details

Trulia Fort…, Other/Just Looking in Fort Lauderdale, FL

When would be a good time to start the Mortgage/Realtor/house hunting process if one is looking to buy a home by March 2013?

Asked by Trulia Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale, FL Mon Nov 26, 2012

Answers

34
I guess I would be shopping around as soon as January. You need to get things in line with your lender based on what you want to do in March. New listings will be coming on the market as soon as January. Ask around to friends or relatives who might have had a good experience with an agent/lender and can recommend them.
Your Realtor will appreciate meeting you too. A good agent will want to know about you and your desires before taking you out to look at property. I like to know what would be the perfect home, so that you can work it out together when you find one you like and what amenities you are willing to trade for that House of Your Dreams....... It will give both of you time to see if the relationship is a good fit. Who knows, Maybe the first one you interview wil not be the one. make yourself a list of questions you would like ask. Talk about the different forms of agency representation to see which one works for you. Find out about the agent''s experience and sucesses. maybe some references. Make sure you have an agent who will help get to your goal. Once you choose an agent, make sure you are loyal to that person. If you see something listed by some other company or you see an open house you would like go thru, make sure you call your chosen agent. That person deserves your loyalty. We work hard to earn our living.
This is one of the most important decisions we make in our lives. Don't short yourself taking short cuts. Use good people to get you where you want to go and it will be the best experience.
I remember when we got our first house. We weren't as smart as you but we were lucky to have a good agent and a great lender and how thrilled we were when we got the keys!
Thats how I got into real estate. I went to work for broker who sold us out house. Maybe you won't go that far, but you will remember what fun it was always.
You can start right now so you can see enough properties to find the right one for you. In most cases it takes more time than expected.
Your question is bunched up in three activities all-in-one ("Mortgage/Realtor/house hunting process"). If "...buy a home by 2013" is truly your objective - that you really need to be in a home by that time - then, below are my recommendations.

Certainly, you need to get pre-qualified ahead of time to know what is your purchasing range but March 2013 is 4 months away and many things can happen until then: you or your spouse/significant other may lose a job, or you may lose a substantial amount of money in the stock market, or you may break up with your spouse, or whatever; therefore, the logical time to start knowing if you can afford to buy a property based on your income(s) would be no more than one month before you are really ready to "commit" to buying a home.

I would also recommend to chose a professional Realtor to initiate internet property searching one month before you are TRULY READY TO COMMIT TO BUYING A PROPERTY. The main reason for that is if you start looking at homes on the internet now, with or without a Realtor who sends you stuff from the MLS, most likely what you see now will not be available in March 2013.

As far as the "hunting process", wanting to see properties now would be a waste of time to both you and your Realtor. I still maintain that a "real" buyer is a person who is focused and ready to make a buying commitment within 2 to 5 days from the time he/she physically looks at properties. Those who have not presented a written offer on a property that swept their hearts away within those days of visiting properties are generally the procrastinators who will linger on looking forever and will never be satisfied. However, there are exceptions to that, naturally. Those who set a later date to buy - and do buy around their set dates - constitute a very small percentage of "real buyers". Real estate procrastinators are similar to those who proclaim to everyone "I'm starting a diet next week" and three years later they are still fat. But those who are losing weight don't announce it, they just do it. Buying real estate is no different. So, a week before you are ready to buy a property in March 2013, call your favorite Realtor and start visiting properties. Until then, relax and enjoy your life.

Happy Holidays!
Start now. This is a great time of year in most markets (not sure of FL) to begin your home hunt because sellers begin to get edgy as the selling season winds down.

Go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com and get a copy of your credit report (free) and your score (small charge). This site is set up by the three main reporting agencies and it is low on hustle and high on information. Knowing where you stand before you start speaking to lenders should be helpful.

Find a good Realtor and one that will work for you as a Buyer's Agent. Often buyers will contact an agent from a listing and begin to deal with that agent and it's important to know that often in that case you will be dealing with the seller's agent in one way or another and that may not be in your best interest. You want an agent who is bound to you with a full fiduciary duty to you. Avoid dealing with a dual agent if possible.

Go to http://www.rebac.net and familiarize yourself with what they have to say. REBAC is the Real Estate Buyer’s Agent Council and they accredit agents to work for buyers like yourself. You can look up REBAC certified Buyer Agents in your area on the site. Interview at least 2-3 agents and see who strikes you as capable.

Good luck -
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
As a rule of thumb; I always ensure that my Buyer Clients get properly qualified before any house hunting begins. You want to ensure yourself that you meet the lenders criteria and most importantly that you know your purchasing power prior to looking and placing offers on homes that you may or may not qualify for. Good Luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2012
Let me know if you would like to get qualified with CMG Financial. I have programs that can pay 100% of your closing cost.

I look forward to answering any questions you may have.

Ryan
954-394-9005
Another planted question, I thought they got away from this foolish practice. If this was a REAL Buyer the answer would be you would not want to wait any longer to start. The average sale takes 45 days to close plus you have to add the time to get pre-qualified and the time to search for your dream home.
well at least this planted question is an old one (Nov 2012) - fortunately, they seem to have stopped doing this!
Flag Wed Feb 5, 2014
Hi, I am just following up on your post on Trulia last November. You may have found your Realtor already, but if not, I would love to assist you since you are wanting to purchase next month. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in your home buying process. I will be happy to send you all of my credentials and experience.
Kind Regards, Lynne 954-303-0071
With the rates the way they are... most banks are backed upped in underwriting. If I were looking... I would get pre APPROVED right now... so all I would need is an appraisal and I could close quickly. You also could start getting an automatic list of what you are looking for so you get an idea of what's on the market and at how much in the area that you are looking. That way in March... you are out of the blocks sprinting instead of scratching your head. When would "NOW" be a good time to start?
I would start the process immediately. Step 1: Find a professional real estate team to educate you on the current desert market. Step 2: Request a minimum of three Mortgage lender referrals Step 3: Interview the mortgage lenders and choose a lender Step 4: Become pre-approved for your loan Step 5: Contact your professional real estate team to begin the search process.

The best recommendation is to get your strategy put together sooner versus later in case you run into any credit surprises. Once approved, you can work with your realtor to educate you on various neighborhoods, etc that match your buying criteria.
Make sure you have already spoken with a lender. If it's been a few years since your last home purchase, the climate has changed and the loan application process can be extensive. As fas as working with a Realtor, I don't think it's too early to go ahead and find a trusted professional that you feel will represent your needs the best and who understands exactly what you are looking for in a new home. The advantage of talking with someone early is that they will be able to keep their eye out for a house that fits your particular requirements and be able to alert you as soon as possible matches come out on the market. Realtors of course are constantly networking, so by speaking to someone soon, it's possible they will be able to help you secure something under contract much faster than if you had waited until closer to March. The typical closing period is 30-45 days, however sometimes there are unexpected delays. It also depends on the type of financing you are going to use. Right now the turn around time on a Rural Housing loan is seven weeks in my area! I wish you the best of luck in your search! And if you ever know of someone moving to the Destin/Niceville, FL area you can give them my name:) Brittany Swain, CENTURY 21 Wilson Minger Agency, Inc http://www.swainsellsniceville.com
Best advice; seek out a good Realtor who knows the area you are interested in. Talk to your bank/credit union or shop around for a lender who is knowledgeable and is interested in getting you

the informaiton you need to get a mortgage. There is nothing more disappointing than to find the "perfect" home and learn that you can't afford it. Know what you can qualify for before you start looking at properties.
Its important to find a good fit for your agent and lender representative. You are going to be spending time with them. Its good to feel confident in their expertise and you are confortable with them. Good luck. Your new home is waiting for you
Trulia-initiated question.
I was so focused on the question I didn't note the source. You figure they're fishing in one form or another?
Flag Wed Nov 28, 2012
If you are searching for a home in Fort Lauderdale and you'd like to be in by March, you need to call a mortgage broker right now. Until you have your prequalification letter in place, you will not be able to look for Fort Lauderdale homes...because you won't know how much home you can afford.

Please call Preston Ware, who is a mortgage broker I've worked with for the last 4 years. His number is 561-329-0075. Or to to his website at PrestonWare.com and contact him that way. He'll be able to help you get prequalified and let you know quickly what kind of home you can afford.

Marc Jablon, the Jablon Team
RE/MAX Complete solutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com
Hello from Carolyn Russell,

If you are planning to buy a home by March 2013 NOW is the time to get things started. In order to determine what you are qualified to spend the first step is to get with a reliable Mortgage Broker. I can put you in the right direction and you will need to decide whether you are interested in a Single Family Home, Townhouse or Condominium. Keep in mind that a Homeowners Association or Condo Association will affect the amount you you will be able to purchase since the monthly dues are taken into consideration when qualifying for a mortgage. Interest Rates are at an all time low and you may want to give consideration to moving ahead on your purchase date to take advantage of the rates to get "More Home For the Money".

I would be glad to put you in the right direction with an excellent Mortgage Broker to get you started and would be happy to hear from you to discuss what you are looking for in a home.

You can contact me at crussell@florida-foreclosures.com or anytime at 954-913-0823. I look forward to hearing from you.
It depends what you are looking for. Some things take longer than others; for example a Short Sale, or a property in foreclosure...please call 305-775-0402, I am with ONE Sotheby's Intl Realty. Chanti is my last name.
Kindest regards
I would start checking out different area's now. And I would start looking at homes so you can really know what you want and what you can afford. But, look with an open mind and try not to fall in love with a home now, because most likely it will not still be on the market in March. But do get your credit in order and start shopping for a Mortgage.
Hi Trulia Fort Lauderdale,

Per your question on Trulia > When would be a good time to start the Mortgage/Realtor/house hunting process if one is looking to buy a home by March 2013?

Contact me 'Lynne Knapp' (954) 647-5335 Cellular, or email me the best number and time to call you to chat! Now Subsequently, we will set your your timeline and tasks, to fullfilling your goals.

Lynne Knapp, Realtor
ReMax Consultants Realty 1
Ft Lauderdale FL
LynneKnapp@aol.com
http://LynneKnapp.com
http://LynneKnapp.ReMax.com
Web Reference: http://LynneKnapp.ReMax.com
Dear Trulia,

I don't know where your looking to purchase a home or if your looking for a single family home or
condo but just for your information, I have a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath townhome for sale in Davie, Fl.
It's an end unit 2175 sq ft townhouse that has been completely upgraded.It has all new tiled floors
throughtout unit, the kitchen has been completely remodeld and upgraded with new cabinets and
is in the process of having all the appliances replaced with stainless steel. That includes the refrig, stove, over the counter microwave,and the dishwasher. Master bedroom is 18x20 with an attached balcony and a private bath area in but behind bedroom. The other two bedrooms are nicely sized.
Upstairs bathrooms have been completely redone from scratch with new tile, tubs/showers, mirrors
vanities,and lighting and both have heat lamps. Central AC and heating. Complex amendities include pool, sauna, basketball/tennis courts, clubhouse and playground.

Monthly maintenance of $311.00 includes garbage/cable, lawn care, outside insurance, interior, exterior pest control and covers all outside dwelling including roofs which are concrete andapprox
6-7 years new. Daycare and all grade level schools including Nova and Nova Universities 4 year medical college al located within blocks as well as grocery stores, shopping centers and malls.
Easy access to I95, I595 and Floridas turnpike. Bergeron rodeo arena located behind complex if
you enjoy country activites, live rodeos and live concerts. Great neighbors, friendly neighborhood
with kids and pets welcomed. No limit on pets or their size. Townhome is priced at 168,500 and
is move in ready. If your interested, you can contact me at imor266@aol.com or you can call me
at 954-792-0816 anytime.

Ilene Morrison
Hi Trulia Fort Lauderdale,

Per your question on Trulia > paste question

Lynne Knapp, Realtor
ReMax Consultants Realty 1
Ft Lauderdale FL
LynneKnapp@aol.com
http://LynneKnapp.com
http://LynneKnapp.ReMax.com

Begin your process by getting pre-approved with a mortgage broker. Not all pre-approvals are the same so you will want one that is thorough. Once you have that find a realtor that you feel comfortable with who will help you find what you are looking for.

Feel free to email or call anytime.

Matt Tarka
Licensed Mortgage Professional
Serving All of Florida
Direct: 954-605-2450
Toll Free: 888-246-9060
Fax: 954-343-8098
mtarka@clearmortgagelending.com

Clear Mortgage Lending, Inc
1301 East Broward Blvd
Suite 330
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
http://www.clearmortgagelending.com
The hunting process should begin whenever you are ready. That means once your finances is in order.
House hunting is a process.

However, it also depends on the inventories. Less inventory can translate into lower leverage because your closing date is not going to transpire until March 2013.

The seller may perceive this as an unfavorable term.

Ergo, local market condition will play an important factor into this decision-making process.
If you are going to finance your purchase, your first step is to contact a qualified loan originator, now, to determine how much of a purchase price you will qualify for & to have time to clean up any potential unknown credit issues that pop up from time to time.

Once that is completed, then you may want to ask your lender for a couple of real estate agents to contact to represent you.

Ros

Roswell Moore, CMPS
Certified Mortgage Planner
480-422-5095 direct
http://www.ezAZloan.com

We are a Direct Lender, Mortgage Bank where we originate, process, underwrite, fund, AND SERVICE our loans, in-house, with FHA (starting at a 580 score AND still only 3.5% down), FHA Streamline refinance loans (NO minimum credit score, NO appraisal required) Go Green rehab loans, HomePath, Investor Friendly (10 financed properties), VA, VA Refinance loans (NO appraisal required on IRRRL loans), USDA loans, Jumbo loans, Conventional loans, plus, we allow Escrow Hold-Backs!
You are only a few months away from your target date--Start by talking to a qualified
Mortgage Broker for a realistic view on what you should spend. From there a realtor can then
help you with your search--inventory is low at this moment, so it would be a good idea to start the process now.
Dear Trulia, now sounds right....

Meir Aloni & Team

CRS (Certified Residential Specialist)

CDPE (Certified Distressed Property Expert)

RECS (Real Estate Cyberspace Society)

Successfully selling Broward County since 1986!

Direct phone# 954-338-5220 http://www.WeSellBroward.com

All Star Realty Inc.
To Whom it mau conern;

The sooner the better and if you should need to update your pre-qualification letter at time of making an offer, you would need to just make a phone call. I suggest using a mortgage consultant rather than dealing directly with a lender because the mortgage broker will do all the paperwork and a lender will require you to do lots of paperwork. If you need a mortgage consultant to shop your deal, email m e or call my cell and I'll be glad to furnish with one use on a regualr basis.

Happy Holidays
Joe Roman ERA Herman Group Real Estate
josephwroman@gmail.com
954-557-3416

http://josephroman.southfloridamls.com/?Page=566807
It is a good idea to get a feel for the market now as it is changing very rapidly. You also want to be sure of your price point and exactly how much you would like to spend per month including taxes and insurance. You dont want any surprises down the line.

Rates are still at an all time low (3's) for a 30 year fixed mortgage.

If you would like to discuss your options please feel free to call or email me.

Have a great holiday.

James Stout
Home Loan Specialist
Direct: 954.993.6150
Fax: 888.578.9669

James@EasternTrustLending.com

Begin the process as soon as possible would be my advice. We are low on inventory and prices are starting to rise.

Find a reputable mortgage broker and get yourself pre-qualified , that way you will know your budget before you start looking. Then find a solid realtor who can help you through the process thoroughly and successfully.

I will be glad to advise and help you as a realtor- I can also refer you to reputable brokers. Don't hesitate to contact me to discuss .

Patricia Varley
Now, via email listings and start the approval process so you will know how much home you qualify for, then we can find areas based on the MTG and what you are looking for, I can refer a great MTG broker and start sending properties

Carl Vaneyssen
Remax
9542534105
carl@carlvaneyssen.com
Hi:
I would definitely start the process now. There is not a great deal of inventory on the market and so home buying for some people is taking just a little longer than normal. You could at least get the mortgage pre-approval and begin receiving suitable listings that match your search criteria, so that you can begin eliminating what you don't want, and see what is around in the areas that you do want.
I would be happy to assist you in your home search if you are not currently working with a Realtor.
Kind Regards,
Lynne Hale,
Century 21 Hansen Realty Inc
954-303-0071
lynne@lynnehale.com
The answer is - right away! Contact a mortgage professional and obtain the pre approval first. The second step is to check Trulia for recommended real estate PRO's in the area you are looking to purchase and contact the one , who you feel confident to work with.

Keep in mind that it takes about 45 days from the day you sign an contract to close the transaction, so with all said above , I will recommend to begin as soon as possible.
If you are seeking to purchase a home by March 2013, I would link with a realtor who can guide you through the process now. Inventory is down and prices are increasing everyday. If you want to get into a home by March 2013 I would start now. There are a lot of well qualified realtors here whom can guide you.

Tamika Moses
954-404-4646
tmrealtor@yahoo.com
Is Trulia looking to buy a home? If so, start now.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com