wybro707, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

When was the last time there was a flood in the Panderosa Forest Subdivision?

Asked by wybro707, Houston, TX Thu Sep 6, 2012

Answers

7
In a lot of ways, it does not matter. Since tropical storm Allison, the Harris Co Flood Control District has spent over 2 billion dollars on improvements to many of the areas bayou ways. Adding flood control ponds, widening bayous and more! Areas that might have flooded in Ponderosa Forest back then might not flood now.

That being said, ANY home your looking at should be checked to see if it is located within the current FEMA 100yr flood plain. Your insurance agent would have the most recent maps, or you can check this web site out and plug in the address of any home within Harris County http://www.harriscountyfemt.org/ It is color coded and you can zoom in on the street in question.

Also, don't assume a home located inside the 100yr flood plain will flood with the next heavy rain! There are other factors such as the elevation of the 1st floor foundation, improvements to flood control in the area and more!

Let us know if you are looking to purchase or lease. We will help you stay out of harms way when it comes to flood issue...and a lot more! Call or email if we can assist you.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 6, 2012
Notice how many real estate agents tried to answer your question, each putting a positive spin on it.
The truth is, all those street in Ponderosa further down hill than Castle Ridge do flood.

And furthermore, ANY house in Houston could flood. After all, Houston was reclaimed from a swamp. So no matter where you buy in Houston, ALWAYS buy flood insurance.

No matter what spin the real estate agents give it, I would never buy a house that has even the slightest remotest chance of flooding. Why? Because I used to live in Ponderosa Forest. My house flooded THREE TIMES, and also whenever there was a heavy rain, we had to do the flood drill, which was to move everything upstairs for a few days. All of this was extremely disruptive to just trying to live a normal life, and also contributed to many family conflicts, including a divorce, and having one teenager go a little wild because we had to move out of the house for a few months during one reconstruction. I often wonder how things might have turned out differently had we not had the constant stress of unexpected remodels, flood drills, moving in/out. It was a nightmare.

Truly,
Elaine Luther
formerly at 18102 Bambridge
Ponderosa Forest
From the perspective of a Seasoned Real Estate Agent I can only say that every time I am out with Buyers and with only their interest in mind, I stay to stay away from areas where there have been issues with flooding in the past years, that being said, it only further explains why so many houses in certain areas in town take longer to sell. From the marketability stand point and thinking as a seller not as a buyer when you buy a house... I know that is sometime hard to do... but many Buyers failed to think and Agents fail to explain clearly and logically to Buyers: " You will sell this house in a few years..., please buy a house now that will be easy to sell in the future" Do not buy with your heart by with your brain.
The best person to answer this question is a insurance agent. They can run a clue report for you and they can also review flood maps. Flood insurance is not pricey in areas that are not prone to flooding, it is expensive in areas that do flood. If you need a referral to a good insurance agent, let me know.
Flood insurance in Houston is a must no matter what the Flood Zone is....
Ponderosa Forest decends up into Cypress Creek the further north you go into the neighborhood.
Check out the aerial views on the maps. The closer to FM1960, the higher the elevation, but the further north you go, the trees and homes get larger ....
There are some great deals to be had on large homes, so consider all of the pros and cons....

Have your insurance agent pull an elevation and a quote on the property you are interested in.
Between your insurance agent, your Realtor, and just plain asking a few neighbors, you will find out where the particular home that you have your eye on sits...

There has been many improvements to the area, but as everyone knows, when you have a tropical storm all bets are off. Being prepared in Houston is a way of life.
I'm sure some homes in the far back of the subdivision may have flooded during Tropical storm allison, but who didn't! Don't know since then. I've 3 homes for sale, actually one pending sold in Option Pending, and none of those have ever fkooded per the sellers. if need buying or selling assistance in this area, give me a call, Real Living Houston, Larry Williams, agent, 281-655-4443.
I've lived in Ponderosa Forest for the past five years. My home has never been flooded. If you need help finding a property in Ponderosa Forest feel free to contact me.
Debra Zamarron - Realtor
City West Realty
dgzamarron@gmail.com