Nycolleencam…, Home Buyer in 77550

When to look/buy in Galveston?

Asked by Nycolleencampbell, 77550 Thu Mar 17, 2011

I’m looking to buy a home in Galveston at some point this year. As of August 2011 I’ll have a $16,000 down payment. I am a first time homeowner and only 22 and this is all very new to me, so I have a few questions about real estate in Galveston. First of all when would you suggest I start looking and when is the “down” season for real estate in Galveston? The last thing I need is to be in a bidding war. My price range is $80-$90k if that helps.

Answers

5
Colleen (Are you in NY?)
Big switch to Galveston :) Looks like you are doing all the right things. Getting your $$ for down payment and doing your research. Are you moving here for school or work? Of course spring & summer are 'hot' for buying on the island! But whenever YOU are ready is the BEST time to buy! It is never too soon to start looking. If you are familiar with the island and the neighborhoods, you are half way there. Order your credit report & know your scores and what that means.

Call me when you are ready to look!
Deb (832) 671-0998
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 17, 2011
August is generally the slowest month for Galveston....but you should start looking now. Do you know about the city grant money to help with your down payment and closing costs? Call me and I will be happy to give you the number to call.
Becky Dundee 409-939-5995
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 17, 2011
Hi Colleen,
Now is the time to start looking before the market starts heating up as we approach summer. Also interest rates are still very low and who knows how long they will stay there. You have more than enough $$ to cover your down payment and closing costs but need to start the process of getting qualified for a loan. I can assist you with a knowledgeable and local loan officer as well.

I am an experienced Realtor with over 35 years in the business and live on the island. Feel free to call or email me on taking the next step.

Roger A. Sturgell
Better Homes Realty, Texas
rsturgell@gmail.com
409.539.5181
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 17, 2011
Bidding war can happen on any real estate property

As use a Realtor represent you

Down season many instances in communities with easy water access on the market 365 days a year vs. other areas of the country

You will need to apply for a loan approx. 60 days prior to your search which governs how a Realtor can represent you

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 17, 2011
I noticed your the same age as me looking for almost the same thing. I would be interested in hearing your experiences as they pan out, if you don't mind sharing.