mel4seven, Other/Just Looking in Midlothian, VA

When thinking about buying a home, should I get a realtor first or get pre-qualified for a loan?

Asked by mel4seven, Midlothian, VA Sat May 5, 2012

Where do you go to get qualified for loans like FHA, VA, and Fannie Mae loans?

Answers

7
I would start out by taking the free online homebuyer education course offered by Virginia Housing Development Authority http://(www.vhda.com). Look for Homebuyer Education ... This class will give you a great overview of the entire home buying process, and then you can find a lender in the Midlothian area that is very reputable (google Greg Cuenin) and find out exactly what you qualify for AND what total payment you're comfortable with using...BEFORE contacting a Realtor. Nothing worse than falling in love with a place, only to find out it is out of your price range and/or comfort level! Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Greetings, My name is Scott Morgan and I am a USAA preferred Realtor with Napier ERA and would love to assist you with the process. Please visit my website http://www.cvrealtor.com and view my testimonials. I have contacts in the area who can assist you with the Pre-qualification process, in the mean time we can narrow a search in your area of interest. My email address is sdmorgan42@gmail.com. Thanks, Scott Morgan
You should get your Realtor first. She will be able to recommend Mortgage Lenders that will work well during the transaction. Realtors work hand in hand with Lenders. That said... you will need to be pre-approved before you look at houses. Your Lender will be able to answer all of your financing questions and steer you to a home with a price tag you can afford.
Applying for a mortgage is always the first step in the home search -just stay away from Internet lenders, especially lending tree. They will shotgun your application out to four lenders at once and if you apply with any other lender, it will cost you 4 points off your credit score each time. So, stick with a mainstream lender and only apply once to see if you are qualified.

Having the right Realtor will make all the difference in the world for your home search. After you know you can get a mortgage, I would recommend taking the time to find the right Realtor for you. They will help you find and get the right home. Without a good Realtor, finding a home can be very difficult. The catch is, you won't know you are with the wrong Realtor until its too late. Many agents on Trulia have recommendations and testimonials in their profiles so that can be a good start.

The agent you decide to work with may also refer you to some other lenders that s/he knows and trusts. That is a good thing. The mortgage process can be tedious and it can really help if the people working for you have worked together before.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
I work and live in the Midlothian area. I would be happy to help you find the right lender to talk with. I work with many reputable lenders and we partner in helping you through the entire home buying experience. I do not agree that you should get prequalified before contacting a Realtor. A good Realtor can greatly assist you in understanding in layman's terms the pros and cons of the mortgages available and also help the loan officer to understand your homebuying goals.
I will be happy to work with you. We will be able to quickly get you prequalified and you will then be ready for us to have the fun of going shopping in the right price range to meet your financial needs as well as the type of home you are looking for. Visit my website today and let's get started.
http://www.ggholloway@kw.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
I agree with Beth, it is best to know what your budget is before looking.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012