Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Trulia Atlan…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

When should you start house hunting in order to move in this Fall?

Asked by Trulia Atlanta, Atlanta, GA Mon Apr 8, 2013

Answers

5
That depends on a number of things, like:

1. Who is doing the house hunting - a buyer working on their own (very slow) - or a buyer who is working with an experienced agent/broker..faster but can vary dramatically from agent to agent
2. What type of loan is being used - GA Dream loans and the like can take 45+ days to close - so you need to count backwards and allow a cushion
3. Has the buyer done the necesary homework to determine exactly where they want to live and why..
4. Does the buyer have a good idea of what type home they wil get for a certain price on the areas they wish to target - $400K goes a lot farther in Woodstock than it does in Vininigs or Buckhead
5. Are they buying a SF home or condo - if condo, (to do it right - and you know what you are doing) can take extra time to comfirm all the important info about the HOA and buiding issues that can impact buyers.

I like to start house hunting at least 45 days before the cleint wants to be in a home to go through the entire homefinding process and close. I have done the whole process in as little as two weeks from entering into a Brokerage Agreement to represent a buyer, but I am extremely fast when it comes to identifying ideal homes for clients, and in those cases my clients loans were already approved and we were able to get an appraisal quickly.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner
Professional Buyers Broker
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspector
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
RobertWhitfield.com
TheHomeBuyersRep.com
Corporate Relocations | New Construction | Luxury & Investment Properties
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
I would give at least three months, especially if financing.

1. With the market the way it is, you may have to make several offers to get one under contract, since good homes at good prices are getting multiple offers.

2. Then, just the financing part can take a lot longer than you think nowadays, I have seen that part take two months easily with the big banks. And that is after you have found the perfect house and gotten it under contract.

With the market the way it is now, it is better to have a little more time to be able to shop around, and make sure you get the most "bang for your buck". You don't want to have to settle for a home just because it is the only one available at the time.

You can start your search for homes at http://www.atlanta-foreclosure-list.com.
I advise you to put as much as you need. the more you know about the home buying process the least amount of errors you will make in buying your next home. Search homes for sale at http://www.kstrealty.com
Good answer from Robert.

Trulia Atlanta - ye art the queen of softball questions...

This "Fall" begins on 9/21/13 - is that the day that you want to move in, Trulia Atlanta?

What exactly do you want to buy?

Where exactly do you seek to find your ideal buy?

How do you plan to pay for it?

I have 20 other questions.
Hi I would say about 2 months out, if you know the market of interest it would take about a week or so to get to know your options, a week for negoiations, due diligence, and getting all of your quesitons answered, then about 3 weeks for loan processing. But in the meantime, I have a great interactive tool to teach you the trends and opportunities in the market area of interest, so if you want to work with a competent Realtor, with years of metro Atlanta experience e mail me Lorraine@Carribeangroup.com Broker/Owner