Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Trulia Houst…, Other/Just Looking in Houston, TX

When should you start house hunting if you want to move in the fall?

Asked by Trulia Houston, Houston, TX Wed Apr 3, 2013

Jordana Ford’s answer
I think you can begin by isolating neighborhoods and schools if that is an issue. I would give it a month to find something and then you will need 30-45 days to close. Have a talk with a lender to see what you qualify for and get all your paperwork together ASAP. Talking to a few Realtors is a smart move as well. You will be spending a lot of time with that person and you need to have faith in their professionalism and knowledge. Don't choose someone because they are your sister's boyfriends cousin and they do Real Estate part time. Thats a joke but I hear it a lot. Find a full time professional that specializes in the area's that you looking.
Need a loft, condo, townhome, apartment, high rise?
.......call joelocator.com

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference: http://joelocator.com
It's never to early to start shopping, but now is the time to get your financial house in order.
Even if you are going to be renting, it is best to pull your credit to see what is on there now.

If you are purchasing with a lender, get with them and get a pre-approval to see what you can afford and to also check your credit for any red flags.

Your Realtor will be able to assist you with either scenerio.

Check out our websites and decide who is the Buyers Agent most suited to you.

Feel free to send me an e-mail from my website so I can send you specific instructions and/or get you started with on-line searches or Auto Alerts sent to your email.

We would advise to get started sooner than later. Ideally the first step is to meet an experienced Realtor in the area your thinking about purchasing in, but with the knowledge to show you others areas near by that are similar.

This Realtor would get the buyer in-touch with experienced loan officers to get you pre-approved for a mortgage. Having this information will allow the Realtor to begin looking for homes in the price range your approved for. If there are problems with getting a loan, there hopefully would be enough time to fix prior to the date the buyer wants to close.

Next, the Realtor would set up a private web portal designed to auto-search for homes that meet the buyers parameters. This would allow the buyer to scout some of the neighborhoods well ahead of the true home tours. If there is new construction near by, the buyers along with their Realtor could see if a home could be built in their price range.

Finally, about 60-90 days out, the real touring of homes begins. In the Houston market, typical loans take 45 days to process. Allow plenty of time for that along with inspections and the big if... If you have to cancel the transaction for any reason, you will have time to go after another home.

Make sure your Realtor has an ABR designation indicating he/she is trained to represent buyers. Discuss how they collect their fees and other things they do for your as your buyer representative. They likely will want you to sign a buyer's representation agreement prior to their start with you. Interview 2 or 3 agents and make sure your personalities match up. Good luck!

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
It depends whether one is looking to lease or purchase. In the former case, I'd begin looking in late July for a September occupancy ... anytime earlier would be fruitless, as good homes tend to go quickly, and wouldn't be available when the time comes. Landlords are reluctant to sign a lease in June or early July for a September move-in, especially if there's been some activity on the listing.

Purchasing is another matter. The time to begin looking is around now. It will likely take some time to find the right home, and a 30-45 day period from contract to close would work nicely. A major advantage is that closing in mid-to late July would push back the first mortgage payment to September ... so there would be plenty of time to move, and no double-dipping on rent and house note. Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon
I would start looking online now and then start going out around August... Feel free to search for homes here http://www.househuntinghouston.com/search-all-mls-listings Let me know if you have any questions!

Kevin Sechelski

The way the market is behaving right now I will suggest to start testing the water and see what's out there right now. I believe that we've seen an appreciation between 10-15% over the last 12 months. Definitely you should also get started to get pre qualified for a loan so you know how much you can finance. This will limit your search tremendously!

Good thing is that for first time buyers or people without a home right now and buying as an owner occupant, you will have a wide range of options when the time comes. The market is hot here in the Houston area, but regardless of this, I will make sure that I can find the right house for you. You have my commitment on that!!

Please contact me at 281-256-9602 to discuss further.
Hope this helps!!
Luis Zelaya, RE/MAX Realty Center
I would start now. You might need some time before you will find the house you like. Why wait until the last minute if you can start shopping now ? Call me at (714)4438720
Its never too early to start shopping. I would suggest that you first start shopping around for a great Realtor who has your best interests at heart and one you can relate to. The market it very hot right now and being that there are multiple offers being given on all properties, a good agent will guide you in the right direction. Also, now is the time to find a good Mortgage Broker and start the process. I would be happy to help you in this regard as well as meet with you. Please contact me at gail.levin@kw.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.