Home Buying in Santa Barbara>Question Details

Barry_m_starr, Home Buyer in Hatteras, NC

When purchasing real estate in Santa Barbara, is it common that the buyers agent have the ability to present offer directly to the seller?

Asked by Barry_m_starr, Hatteras, NC Thu Feb 16, 2012

My experience in other purchases was the buyers agent only deals with the sellers agent, rarely the seller. Please comment.

Answers

7
I have to agree with Jon! When representing a buyer on a property, getting a chance to sit down in front of the sellers and their agent is important to best representing the buyers offer. While it's rarely done nowdays, I always ask the listing agent to be given that courtesy.
Hi Barry,
I always attempt to sit down with the Seller and their agent when presenting an offer for my Buyer, however it has become more common than not to deliver the offer directly to the listing agent and they then present it to the Seller.

Margie Yznaga
Village Properties
805 294 5050
Margie@villagesite.com
Web Reference: http://www.mysbhomes.com
Dear Barry,
It depends on the seller it is their choice if they want to sit down with an agent on the other side.
Each seller has different reasons for selling if can be very emotional for them when an agent making a lower than asking offer, makes any negative statements to justify the lower offer. I understand your position and how you can feel left out of the most important part of making the deal work for you. You are at the mercy of your agent, and you need to be included in the offer process as much as possible going over every detail of what you want and being informed to make the best offer you can with your interests at heart. Your making one of biggest purchases in your life and you can still ask to sit down with the seller and their agent (need to know first some details if that could be something that would work for the seller) most often you will be asked not to say anything directly just sit through with your agent. Should you step in say something it could get difficult and may cause harm to the deal or you like accepting or asking for terms that are not in your/sellers best interest. Most often a buyer wants to stay at arms length and only wants to see your offer then go over the terms with their agent. The seller many times feels uncomfortable answering questions directly about the property and it is better when everything is in written form. Most often the type of meeting you want takes place shortly after property inspection and the offer has been accepted, You can still go over specific details and still make ajustments to the terms and conditions of the sale.
Hi Barry-

I'm sorry but I disagree with the explanations the other responders have provided to your question.

Unfortunately they are right in that offers are rarely presented directly to the seller anymore. This seems to have become a standard of practice across the industry with emails, digital signatures, busy schedules, and listing agents that either don't want to take the time to set up the meeting, or are doing so to protect the sellers. Is it somehow in the buyer's interest that their agent NOT attempt to meet with the seller and his/her agent directly as the first two responses suggest? Absolutely not!

The buyer's agent should present the offer directly to the seller and their agent as often as possible. He/she not only understands the buyer's needs, capabilities, and priority of their negotiating points, but can provide enough background on the buyers to establish an emotional connection with the seller. As a buyer's agent I definitely DO want a seller to have strong positive emotions about my buyer and I don't want them filtered by the seller's agent. A direct meeting also gives me an opportunity to ask the seller about their needs, capabilities, and priorities without filtering. Simply put, the more I know about the seller's true situation, the greater chance I have of leading a successful negotiation that provides my buyer with a great deal.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Jon

Jon Perkins
Village Properties
(805) 284-3660 direct
jon@theluxurycoast.com
Hi Barry,

I'm sure it's very rarely done anywhere anymore. I have actually presented a couple offers in person to sellers. If the situation is unusual, say multiple offer - it may be in the buyer's best interest. The seller's agent would be with them when an offer is presented. The buyer's agent will present the basics of the offer to the sellers. I would like to say this is for regular home sellers, I don't think banks would let you do this :)

Good Luck,
Christine
Barry,

I totally support Joy's answer below and I'm not even on the real estate side of the transaction. If you have a buyer's agent, it would not be productive to leave them out of the negotiation and if you don't have a buyer's agent I would strongly reconsider.

Best of luck,

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
Hi Barry,
In brief, it is rare that the buyer's agent has an opportunity to present to the seller directly. The standards of practice dictate that negotiations are best handled between the buying and selling agent in order to protect the interests of both parties at either end of a potential sale. Therefore, it is critical that a buyer's agent have a succinct understanding of their client's needs and capabilities, as well as excellent communication and negotiating skills to best serve their buyer's goals. In addition, a seasoned real estate professional will generally have a strong rapport with other agents in the area who may well be on the other side of the transaction, and hence, there is a better chance that the two professionals can come to an agreement of terms without the emotions of buyer and seller involved.
Joy Bean
Web Reference: http://www.joypbean.com