Home Buying in Portsmouth>Question Details

kinderkaren6…, Other/Just Looking in Little Compton, RI

When purchasing a home in RI that needs a new septic what is the timeframe for it ? And is that attainable ?

Asked by kinderkaren622, Little Compton, RI Mon Aug 27, 2012

Answers

3
David Colardo’s answer
I recommend contacting Ken Boyer of Septicate Systems 401-623-1525.
Not only is he personable, Ken has great knowlege and has installed many septic systems
for me in the 20 plus years of my career.
It depends on what type of septic system you currently have and the proximity of the property to the ocean or other bodies of water.

Here's a link to RI Department of Environmental Management.
http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/benviron/water/permits/isds/i…

Please let me know if I may be of any assistance.

Arthur Chapman
It depends on a variety of answers:
How many bedrooms existing & are you increasing?
Soil conditions,, you cannot install a traditional ISDS,, now known as a OWTS in ground water that is within 2 ft of the surface.
How much land do you have to use for leeaching?

Some alterations can be permtted quickly, others that are more complex may require additional scurtiny at RIDEM,,

Contact Todd Chaplin PE at 508 379 1234 for additional information.
I have used his office on all my dealings with RIDEM,, Todd knows his stuff and will get it done.
Camara Excavation may also be qualified to design the new system,
Lyfort & Joel can prepare the plan & submit it to RIDEM if it's straight forward with no complex issues,, like a wel within 100 ft. Joel can be reached at 401 265 3363.

Hope this helps,
John Vit
401 952 1953
Thank you this is a big help. A couple of the properties I've considered both need a new septic system. I am not certain if both have town water, and both are within 100 ft of the bay. I also understand that although there are systems that can be used for properties such as these they can also cost in the ranges of 18k - 35k or more depending upon the situation.
Flag Tue Aug 28, 2012