Home Buying in Boston>Question Details

pdgryan, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

When moving to a new town, should one hire a real estate lawyer from that area? Is it common for one lawyer to handle both the sale and the buy?

Asked by pdgryan, Boston, MA Sun Dec 2, 2012

Answers

11
if it is your sale of your home and then the house you are buying it is common and advantageous to you to use the same attorney. within Massachusetts the attorney should be able to represent you anywhere within the state unless there is some extenuating circumstance about the property.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know.
Flag Mon Dec 3, 2012
As long as your real estate transactions are within the same state, i.e, Mass, you can use any lawyer you want.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 3, 2012
If you are asking should you use the attorney that helped you sell your home to help you with the purchase of your new one, that should be fine as long as your attorney feels it is in your best interest and that he/she is knowledgable with the intricacies of your purchase if any.

If you are asking should the sellers attorney of your new home represent you as well, the answer is no. You should have your own representation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
Many people use one lawyer, regardless of the town or which side of the deal they are on.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Not necessarily important to be located in the same town as the sale. For instance the attorney we refer closes properties all the time on Nantucket and they are located in Boston. Yes, it is very common to handle both sales.
http://territory.com/team#attornies

Territory.com
Massachusetts Premier Buyer Broker
617-848-5407 x701
Help@Territory.com
Web Reference: http://territory.com
I would advise using a local attorney, who may be more familiar with the "nuances" of the area. In addition, a local attorney typically has established relationships with other local attorney's, realtors, and service providers. Ask friends/colleagues and/or your buyer's agent to recommend local attorney's.

I would not advise using the same attorney for both sides of a transaction.

Tom Lynch
Associate Broker, Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut
Berkshire Property Agents
12 Railroad Street
Great Barrington, Massachusetts 01230
http://www.berkshirepropertyagents.com/
In my experience I feel that getting your own council is always best and if you use the same council in both transactions there may be a conflict of interest.

Best Of Luck
I am a bit unclear but if you are purchasing in the Boston area you should use a local attorney to protect your interests. You should NEVER use the seller's attorney as it is a conflict of interest.

On a different note if you are using an attorney to sell your home in another state and you are moving to the Boston area I would still recommend that you use a local attorney.

I hope this answers part of your question if not please add more details so I can respond
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
You should have your own attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
I feel that it's not possible to represent both parties in a transaction and have both of their best interest in mind.

Chris
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
It does happen from time to time that the closing attorney does both butI would recommend you get your own attorney to represent you.
Web Reference: http://www.wenrealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 2, 2012
what I mean is would the same attorney represent us when we sell our house and when we buy another one in a different community. Would it be better to get a separate, local attorney for our purchase.
Flag Sun Dec 2, 2012