Home Buying in Valrico>Question Details

Tracy Hoyt, Real Estate Pro in Valrico, FL

When looking for an agent, how much weight do you give social media connections such as Facebook? Twitter, Linkedin?

Asked by Tracy Hoyt, Valrico, FL Tue Jan 15, 2013

Answers

6
I let people in Facebook know that im an agent from some housing related comments here and there, and by posting photos of my new listings or solds maybe 2x a months. That is just to stay in the mind of my friends and family incase they talk to someone needing an agent. But don't rely on Facebook for any business, same with Twitter and Linkedin. The best working tool i have is Trulia. If you use their free forums, the mobil tool to check in when showing homes and ask for clients recommendations, you will do great.

Tony Vega
La Rosa Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 15, 2013
I suppose I would want to know when the agent with a fantastic Facebook pages, Twitter and the time to sift thru 300 or more emails a day can find the time to help a customer buy or sell real estate if they are constantly in front of a computer, IPhone or IPad. Other than the time needed to view and list properties, prepare contracts and search for properties for buyers which is a full time occupation, not to mention just keeping up with the expanding new market resulting from the consumers use of technical tools and the internet.

I set up a Facebook page then realized very quickly that because I had not time to play Facebook, that it could soon look like my friends or families site as I have never posted a thing and only had time to set up the profile then get back to the business of helping buyers buy real estate. And Twitter, the same thing, I started a profile, then realized the site would look more like other people than myself on the internet....honestly, it’s just to much to manage if you are a full time real estate professional.

Buying and selling real estate is about working with the customer whether a buyer or a seller directly. Buyers need to be physically accompanied to view property selections, by a licensed agent. Why not not choose an agent who is going to work for you exclusive to your best interest. I take my clients side. Social media is for your friends and family, it is not your resume not a secured platform where you would want to consider a professional, business or financial transaction.

When you are getting ready to make one of the most significant financial investments of your life

The most important thing a buyer can do is first of all work with a buyer broker as stated by AARP and The Consumer Federation of America.

Not all buyer broker services are the same. It does not cost you more to obtain the services of a buyer broker. See http://www.FloridaBuyerBroker.com for Important Information for all Real Estate Buyers

Beverly Howe, ABR, GRI, TRC, CIPS
Buyer Broker - Owner
Florida Buyer Broker
Email: broker@floridabuyerbroker.com
239-601-2013 Local Direct
800-283-7393 Toll Free US and Canada
Your questions, Tracy, seems directed to the home buyer and seller. NOT to real estate professionals.
As our population becomes increasingly segmented, you will find more folks confined to using the tools that are familiar to them. As consumers respond to your question, it will be very relevant to obsever the role they assign to these social media outlets.

Is it a 'validation' exercise or a 'deal' maker?

Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEz.us
Yes Annette,
The question was directed to the buyer or seller who uses Trulia.
I find many of my clients through my social media connections.
I was looking to see what value clients place on being "connected" with
todays media sources.

Thank you for your answer.

Tracy Hoyt
Flag Tue Jan 15, 2013
So I'm guessing by the first responses that most agents do not take advantage of the Facebook apps for Real Estate Agents nor do they tweet. I have been trying to weigh how much social media activity should play in my business.

Thank you for your responses and for taking the time to help me in my business.

Tracy Hoyt
Prudential Tropical Realty
Zero. Suzanne is right. Maybe I'd be better served by someone who is so busy he doesn't have time for that.
Tracy, I think you misunderstand the value of Facebook, etc. Their main purpose, as a marketing tool, is not to get recommendations, or to even attract leads. It's to stay in touch with your friends, family and past clients, to remind them that you are a realtor. From time to time, not constantly, just once in a while, post a real estate related article or blog so they remember. In between act like everybody else on facebook, pictures of the family, motivational quotes, etc, things that your 'friends' will enjoy. Then we you DO post something real estate related, they will think of you. I actually got one listing when I posted an article on short sales. My daughter's child hood friend, who now lived in another state, saw the article and sent me a message saying, "please help my brother, he's upside down on his mortgage." I got the brother's contact information and she told him to expect my call. We listed and sold the house and now the brother is my friend on facebook, too, and referring HIS friends and family to me as well. Had the brother been searching facebook for a realtor this never would have happened. It was purely keeping in touch.

Good Luck! and Happy Facebooking!