Home Buying in Denver>Question Details

Devin Brock, Home Buyer in Denver, CO

When is the appropriotte time to start working with a agent. We are just starting to save and look at communities now.

Asked by Devin Brock, Denver, CO Wed Jul 24, 2013

We also have a min of 8 months left on our lease.

Answers

31
I may be in the minority however I believe you can delay for a while as the inventory on the mkt at present will probably be different than what will be on the mkt in 6 mos.

However you may wish to begin looking to see what you like and do not like. Also looking now will provide a prospective concerning budget and pricing which will most likely stay steady for the foreseeable future versus the bump we witnessed this past Spring.

During this time also consider meeting with a mortgage broker and use the next 6 months to retire some debt, strengthen your credit score and eventually get a pre-approval which will allow you, when you find the right home to make a strong offer including pre-approval which will provide an additional incentive to the seller to consider your offer over others.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 24, 2013
Devin,

The appropriate time to start working with an agent is whenever you are comfortable to start. I am reading everyone's comments and they are saying "NOW". (insert chuckle, here).

While the market is good and you will find something right away, if you are not ready and have some things to tie up, then most agents will get frustrated with the slow decision it might take.

While some of the comments are good about landlords letting you out of your lease, there are many more variables; down payment, security deposit, loan approval, area, market demand/supply, and many more.

Finally, with all the comments that were posted about you calling them, I am sure it has already scared you off. Take your time and when the 2 of you are ready, you will know.

Devin

I have answered this before but feel compelled to answer again before you make a mistake. Buying a home is the biggest investment you'll make in your life get educated about the buying process before you do anything else and the best way to do that is to select the right real estate agent, contact us 303 327-5898.

Why Buyers in Metro Denver Choose Metro Brokers, DeLUX Team Realty, Inc, Metro Denver Realtors®

- Only Top Selling Real Estate Agents who sell over 5 million dollars worth of real estate annually can be a NUMBER1EXPERTSâ„¢, DeLUX Team Realty members are proven NUMBER1EXPERTS!

- Our expert local knowledge will be invaluable to you, we know neighborhoods, schools, local economy and as well as the current real estate market conditions and much more.

- Home buying requires making many difficult decisions, we will walk you through the process every step of the way. We spend a lot of time educating our clients because an educated client becomes a happy client - there will be no surprises when you hire us as your "Buyer's Agents".

- Visit our web site and see some of our client's testimonials, http://www.RealEstateMetroDenver.com,

- Search and Tour 1,000's of homes for sale throughout Colorado, click here. - A home is the biggest purchase your family will ever make, and it involves many decisions that go beyond simply choosing one you like.

- Here is how we, your professional metropolitan Denver CO Realtors®, will guide you through the entire home buying process, from viewing homes, financing, and making sure the final contract is in your best interest.

- You will have full access to homes for sale in Colorado including but not limited to metropolitan Denver real estate, Aurora Colorado Real Estate Listings, Castle Rock real estate listings and Highlands Ranch real estate listings, as well as real estate not yet in the MLS through our professional Colorado real estate affiliations.

- Every local real estate market has its own distinct trends and opportunities. This can vary greatly, from one neighborhood to the next. The Metro Denver real estate market is no different! It's our job as Realtors® to steer you into exciting real estate opportunities and out of painful traps.

- Is the home you are contemplating purchasing priced to high, we'll help you determine the true market value considering the current market conditions of the home you are interested in before you make an offer. Is the home priced as a bargain that you should jump on; we'll help you there as well. We help home buyers make decisions like this every day, and we'll make sure that you get the best value for your money.

- Negotiations with sellers are often stressful as well as confusing to any buyer. As expert negotiators in the real estate business we will help you negotiate your price so that the final contract includes the best possible conditions and terms for you.

- You should know everything about the property you are buying! You and a member of our team will tour homes for sale that meet your criteria that you are interested in.

- We will make you fully aware of the home inspection process available to you as well as negotiate in your behalf for any repairs necessary, if you are not happy with the inspection resolution we'll help you get out of the transaction completely.

- Have confidence when signing real estate documents. Real estate contracts are full of complicated legal terminology and clauses that can greatly affect your future life in your new home. We will give you the full benefit of our experience, knowledge, and education. We are your consultants and have a fiduciary duty to look out for your best interest.

- While you can see a million homes on the web, actually buying your new home is another matter entirely.

- Let our education and experience benefit you!

- Call us TOLL FREE @ 1-888-LUX-Team (589-8326) or locally at 303-327-5898 with any questions, you won't experience any HIGH PRESSURE sales tactics with us, just real service.

- DeLUX Team Realty, Inc. serves the real estate needs of our clients in Aurora, Arvada, Brighton, Broomfield, Castle Rock, Centennial, Cherry Hills Village, Commerce City, Denver, Englewood, Federal Heights, Franktown, Golden, Greenwood, Highlands Ranch, Lakewood, Littleton, Morrison, Northglenn, Parker, Sheridan, Thornton, Wheat Ridge, and Westminster, Colorado.
Devin, you've had LOTS of answers, but no one mentioned open houses. Go to as many public open houses as you can in the communities that interest you.

There are 2 reasons for this: you'll get a good idea of what's currently available in your price range, and you'll get a chance to meet and interview many of the REALTORS® in those towns. When you go to open houses, however, remember that the REALTOR® is representing the owner of that house, and has a fiduciary responsibility to get the highest price.

I'm assuming that you know the differences between a Buyer's Agent, a Seller's Agent, and a Disclosed Dual Agent. If not, take a quick look at my blog, "Don't Call the Listing Agent!" posted under Rumson, NJ.
I generally suggest that people start with a lender and find out what is affordable and obtainable you based on your needs. At that point going to a realtor with a pre approval/ pre qualification allows them to know you are a qualified and serious buyer!
Sorry ... missed the last part of your message -- if you still have eight months on your lease, you should talk to your landlord to see if they'll let you out of your rental agreement before doing anything else. The market will always be there -- don't feel pressed to do anything until you're ready. Thanks, Julie Montgomery, RE/MAX, 303-906-3150. My email is jmontgomeryandco@yahoo.com.
Web Reference: http://www.jmontgomery.com
Hi Devin -- the first thing you'll need to do is become pre-approved for a mortgage loan. You can't start shopping until you know how much you can spend. I do a lot of work with first-time buyers, so if you have questions or need a referral to a good lender, please let me know. Thanks, Julie Montgomery. 303-906-3150, http://www.jmontgomery.com
Hello Devin, I have answered this question previously but I'll answer it again if you are serious about making a purchase NOW is the time to contact us we will educate you and walk you through the entire buying process - an educated buyer is a happy buyer start your process NOW.

Go to our web site and start your research today you'll find a wealth of valuable information.

Let Our Family Help You
Call us 303 327-5898
Devin,

The best time to consult an industry pro, regardless of what you're doing, is as soon as possible because they will help guide you in the right direction from day one. If you've ever heard the term "You don't know what you don't know", this is why. There are specifics to every person's situation and as a broker and real estate counselor I treat everyone on a case by case basis because it's what best serves you as the client. The market is extremely active right now and buyers have to be properly prepared to beat out other buyers and most don't know what that means, an industry pro will educate you. I've got a very thorough guide I can email you, no obligation, my goal is educating clients because it makes for the best experience through the process. email me at Casey@Go1031.com for the package and visit my site at Go1031.com or RealEstateMarketDenver.com
Web Reference: http://www.Go1031.com
Since you've received so many answers, I didn't want to be repetitive, but only to answer if I have something new to offer.

Looking online at homes starting now is a good way to get familiar with the market. But in-depth analysis from an experienced, local agent is also greatly beneficial. For instance, I have a free, e-mail newsletter that includes links to monthly market reports for Broomfield, Westminster and Arvada. If you're interested in those areas, I'd be glad to send them to your inbox.

Just click on my name to contact me.
Hello Devin, very good question, I think it would be a good idea to review your lease and take a look at the options you have to sub-lease. There is a chance that they might be more forgiving in this rental market as it is hot and they might even get more than what you signed up for.

There are three other compelling reasons I would recommend you do not wait to get together with a Realtor let alone buy a home.

1) The re-emergence of New Construction! if you are not ready to sublet and feel more better about moving at the end of your lease new Construction is a very good option. You could start to look at the new communities now and if you see something you like, reserve it and move in when they complete the construction (about 8-10 months from now).

2) Home prices in the Denver real estate market are inching up at an accelerated rate and as long as you have at least 3% down (sometimes even less if you qualify for down payment assistance) now it the time to buy. if you feel your would feel more secure with more down just apply any money you save to the principal of your loan as you save it!

3) Mortgage rates the lowest they have been in a very long time and everything I read indicates they will rise soon, don't rob yourself, secure a loan now!

If any of what I have written makes any sense I would love to apply for the job of helping you find your new home, now or later!

You can reach me at 303-887-3858

Tim Higgins
Colorado Home Finder Realty
It's never too early to begin your search. By viewing properties now you begin to fine-tune your wish list vs. your "must have" list. It will also help you to narrow down the neighborhood(s) that work for your lifestyle. There are many things to consider when buying a home. The $old $ister$ Team has been working with buyers and sellers throughout the Denver metro area for over 29 (combined) years. We welcome the opportunity to work with you. Call us today at (303) 972-0858.

Hope to hear from you,
Sherry Goodman
Nancy Linsenbigler
The $old $isters
Cherry Creek Properties, LLC
(303) 972-0858
You did not mention, what I feel is the most important thing. FINANCING
If you're looking at communities that you really can't afford; it'll be hard later when you look at your price range.

And while everyone will tell you to talk with a mortgage broker now; I'd be willing to bet you don't know any. Anybody can get you a loan, but getting someone that can hold your hand through the whole process if needed, and can actually make it close on time, is what's really important.

That's why you probably should get with somebody now that know the part of town that you want to live in.

Call me if it's south.

Good Luck
Right now call us and we'll help walk you through the entire buying process 303 885-92/7 or 303 327-5899.
Hi Devin,

On average people start looking for 8 months in advance of when they want to purchase. By looking early, you are able to narrow down your search to the communities that suit your needs. It is never to early to start a relationship with an agent. I have many people who are early in the home buying process using my website daily. http://www.highpinesrealty.com/ You are able to have home alerts emailed daily to you, without even talking to me until you are ready.

I would however, if you are considering financing, talk to a loan officer early to get prequalified. They will give you tips on how to increase your credit score, as the higher the credit score the better the rates.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time. My cell phone # is 303-548-5255 . Hope you have a great night.

Margie Teufel
Keller Williams
mteufel@kw.com
Talk with your landlord and find out if you have the option of subleasing or the option of going month to month. This will give you more flexibility in finding exactly what you want without stressing about when your lease ends. With the rental market extremely strong, most landlord will be willing to work with you on timing since they can easily find tenants. Speak with a couple of mortgage brokers to find out what you can afford, how much you want to save for a down payment and what your monthly payment should be. You can also speak with Realtors at this time too and find one that matches your style and knows the areas of town you are looking to buy in. Even if you are six months out, it is good to educate yourself and know what you want in a home and neighborhood. This is the biggest purchase you will make, so take the right steps to educate yourself. Good luck!

Nina Kuhl
Cherry Creek Properties LLC
303-913-5858
Web Reference: http://www.kuhlnina.com
Hi Devin,

The best time to start working with an agent is when you have decided that you are going to invest in a home. Use the agent's knowledge of the various areas that you have selected and also, a good agent will work with you to gather your thoughts and ideas and what type of you works for you and what your "Needs" are versus your "Wants." This period for you, is also a great time to get to know a couple agents, to the point where you trust them and feel comfortable working with them and you can test their knowledge base and their working styles and see if it fits with how you want to work.

If you are open for it, I would like the chance to discuss your search with you and to become your broker. As you can see from my profile here in Trulia, I have great experience with first time buyers and have the most current technologies and a very high work ethic.

Also, check our my website at http://www.coolranchcolorado.com and my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/coolranchcolorado

Best of luck and please contact me with any questions.
David Bell
CoolRanchColorado.com
Inspired Real Estate, llc
303-887-1358
Mr Brock,
Depending on your credit score you could qualify for as much as 4 times your gross annual income. Speaking with a lender will confirm the amount you can spend to buy a home. So as already said, the lender step should be early on. If you don't know any lenders, then a contact with a Realtor (or several) would make themost sense as a first step. It will be important for your own edification to know early how much home you can afford so that you don't set your sights too high. By seeing properties within your range, either by paper or by touring with an agent will also help in focusing on the reight areas and price range. So, as they say, there's no time like the present to begin the process before you're faced with time constraints.
Good luck. Contact me if you feel I can help ------it's what I do best!
Hi Devin,
Everyone is saying NOW. Well, take your time, find a website you like (public access to the MLS is through: http://www.recolorado.com) and is easy to navigate and start your search. Everyone wants to be your realtor, of course and it can be daunting to talk to, let alone interview several folks. When you are ready to step forward on interviewing agents, by sure to ask not for their years of experience but instead how many transactions they have successfully closed in the last 12 months. That is a true indicator of success and experience. It is more difficult to get buyers to a closing than it has been in years. Best to you in your home search and purchase.
Paul 303-810-7280
Hi again -- in reality, you can still start the process anytime. In this market, many landlords will let their tenants out of a lease (so they can charge the next renter more) ... seriously. Julie Montgomery
Greetings Devin,

I think you should meet and interview brokers early. Think of it this way; begin with the end in mind. Work backwards from your planned move in to your place day.

You should start looking at houses 60-90 days before your lease ends. That way you find the one that fits you best, have your financing all squared away, and have a stress free planned transaction.
Hi Devin,
To answer your question, NOW is the time to get started. I can set you up with a lender and get you set up in my Ispy account also. This way you can decide what area you want to live in and we can keep you updated as to what's happening in that particular area. It is all a free sevice.
Let me know what else I can do for you and your family!!!
Tim Walker
303-547-2437
tim@homesbyhpi.com
http://www.homesbyhpi.com
I would recommend now - you can start by interviewing agents and decide who you want to work with and they can introduce you to lenders, if needed and you can start the preapproval process.

I always sit down with my new clients and explain the process of buying a new home and my responsibilities to them as their Realtor®. I have testimonials that I send so they can see what past clients like about me.

I would be happy to meet and chat with you at your convenience.

Rochelle Landau, ABR
Realtor®
Cherry Creek Properties, LLC
303-502-4930
rlandau61@gmail.com
http://www.landau-properties.com
Hi Devin,
As stated below, it is never too early to at least start the conversation and begin to find an agent with whom you can connect, feel comfortable and will enjoy working with.
Also, may good agents have resources that will enhance your search experience and help you narrow your choices. Of course a face-to-face meeting with your chosen agent will also enhance this experience and allow you to work together, over the next several months, as a team to find that great house that you can call home.
It takes a while to work through all of the elements involved in buying a home so you are very wise to get started now.
Best of luck!!
Chuck Strauss
Your Castle Real Estate
720-318-7598
denverhomeguru@gmail.com
http://www.denverhomeguru.com
Hi Devin,

You should start talking with an agent right away. I am a specialist in the area that you are looking and would be honored to help you and earn your business.

Call me at 303-856-8980.

Ethan Besser
Keller Williams

p.s. My websites are extraordinary tools for buyers and have the most recent listings on the web.

http://www.denvercoloradorealestatenow.com/site/search_v2/?

http://www.denverrealestatenow.net/
First things, first. Talk with a lender so you know how much to save, how much you can afford and get all your ducks in a row.

To get pre-qualified with a lender usually takes about 15 - 20 minutes on the phone.

Call me, if you want to get started.

Matt
303-759-7331
I recommend you get with a Realtor early in the process. There are a number of benefits to this and it doesn't cost you anything. I also recommend speaking with a mortgage lender in the beginning as well, so you can get a financing plan together.
Devin,

You can't really start too soon. I have had clients that started the process as much as 2 years in advance of making a move. Contact an agent and that agent can help you with connecting with a lender. Getting pre-approved with a lender is the primary thing to do. That way a lot of questions will be answered as to when you will be able to purchase, You will find out how much house, how much down payment, and how much interest and how much your monthly payments will be. You will also know how much you will need to save to make the purchase happen. There are first time homeowner loan programs available now with as little as $1000 down. The HUD Foreclosure System has a $100.00 down payment. plan. Let me know if I can help you further. We are here to help you with all of your Denver real estate needs.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
Hi Devin -- it will save you a lot of time if you talk to an experienced buyer's agent during the early stages. You should think about commute time to and from work, but the most important thing is to focus on communities that are appreciating rather than depreciating. Additionally, the first thing you should do is talk to a local lender to prequalify you for a loan.

People waste a lot of time "shopping" before they know what they can afford. Sometimes the amount is higher, sometimes lower, but it is Step 1 toward home ownership.

If I can help or recommend a few great local lenders, please let me know. Thanks! Julie Montgomery, http://www.jmontgomery.com
It''s not too early to reach out to an agent and have him or her email you some listings in the price range and area you'd like to be in. They're not going to spend much more time than that at this stage though, because market conditions change and you're not looking actively right now. Once you get some listings, you should look at the virtual tours or pictures to get a feel for what the typical homes in the area look like and what features they have. Also, you can do some independent research on the area and maybe drive around the neighborhoods you are considering. Also during this time you can compile a list of what you are looking for and what features in a home are must have and which are negotiable. The more you narrow this down, the more your agent can help you find the right home for you.

You should ask the agent about current market conditions and get a feel for when you should start actively looking. Some markets are really hot right now and it's taking 5 or more offers to get one accepted. So this time frame could be 6 months before your lease is up or 2 or 3, it depends.

At whatever that time frame is, you should step things up in your search - update your mortgage preapproval and view some homes in person. Once you find a home and have an offer accepted it can take 30-60 days before your loan is ready to close and the sellers may not be ready to move out right then.

It helps if you have the ability to go month to month on your lease if necessary.

Hope this helps!
Devin-

The first place to start is with getting pre-qualified with a Lender. Once you are pre-qualified you will know what price point you qualify for and what you need to do to get prepared to buy.

You should get a REALTOR when you are ready to actually buy. In the mean time you can start getting to know the area you want to buy in, get to know local REALTORS that specialize in the areas you are looking at, and start going to open houses so you get a good idea of what homes are available and the condition and price so when you are ready to buy you are prepared and can be confident in what you are getting.

I hope that helps.

Have an exceptional day!

Cheryl Friedman