Home Buying in Belle Mead>Question Details

Home Owner, Home Owner in Belle Mead, NJ

When in Attorney Review...how do I find out info from Seller's Agent?

Asked by Home Owner, Belle Mead, NJ Tue Sep 11, 2012

I just entered Attorney Review for a home I am buying. There is a pool on the property which I plan to have professionally inspected. The Seller (a relocation company) has just closed the pool for the season after it was in a state of neglect for weeks and weeks. My pool inspector told me to have my agent contact theirs and find out what company closed it and what chemicals they used. My Agent will not call and get the info. My Agent says the Lawyer needs to do everything now. Is this true? Can I call and find out? This is frustrating.

Answers

3
This is home inspection issue and attorney has nothing to do with it (if you use both of them). If the agent still won't do it, contact his/her broker and complain about it. If it still does not work, warn your agent that the home can't pass home inspection and the this would be ground to cancel the purchase agreement. Then you are free to find another buyer's agent and re-do the purchase contract.

I know this is a little extreme, but agent should do agent's job. This is how we agents get paid.

Also, if you know that the pool has been neglected for some time, then it is reasonable to have the pool re-opened for inspection. There may be more problem with the pool that requires attention.

SkyBridge Realty
achanghomes@gmail.com
And what if you decided not to use and attorney??? I do agree it is best to go thru your attorney to document all but having agent also request this information is a reasonable request. I have never heard of a pool company asking what chemicals were used in winterizing. The biggest issue is blowing out lines and checking pump etc for operation. If closed, inspecting will be questionable as to accuracy. (I have sold homes where there were reopened in December just to inspect then immediately winterized). Sounds like they may have jumped gun a little; rather than fixing pool perhaps they winterized a pool with problems. I would be suspicious.
Well I finally found out and the pool company told me a list of issues it has. Do you think the relocation company (seller) would work with us on these issues? I hear they can be very inflexible.
Flag Tue Sep 11, 2012
For something like this I think it would be best if the agents took care of it unless you found an issue with the pool. but a simple question as to what chemicals were used your agent should be able to help you. you should be able to find out the listing agent info from your agent, attorney or the sign on the house. or even if you google the address you might find it.
My agent is saying this is the lawyer's job and lawyer is saying this is the agents's job...that he can't be calling the agent to find out about what pool chemicals were used. We highly suspect the pool has issues- hence the professional inspection we have to pay extra for.
Flag Tue Sep 11, 2012