Home Buying in Willow Glen>Question Details

Sam, Home Buyer in Bay Street Viaduct A...

When homes listed on here (for e.g., 1574 Newport Ave, San Jose) say they have child friendly backyards ...

Asked by Sam, Bay Street Viaduct Area, Savannah, GA Sat Jul 11, 2009

Does it mean those homes are really geared towards families w/children to discourage others? Do Willow Glen owners generally prefer to sell to buyers w/families? Thanks.

Answers

4
Sam,
I agree with Bill you can not read to much into this. You have illustrated an excellent problem when it comes to marketing. Words that you use to attract one person can turn off or confuse another person.

What I think of as a child friendly backyard is one that does not have hazards and children can play it reasonably safely. It could be fenced in, have no poisonous plants, not have a fountain, have no swimming pool, or if it does have one that is fenced in with safety fencing,

I know quite a few people who do not have children and live in Willow Glen and LOVE IT! Some of them are in walking distance to the downtown which has a variety of shops and restaurants. They stay out late have a few drinks and walk home.

I do not think you need be concerned that there is any desire on the sellers part for people with children . Just an effort to try to make the property as attractive and get as many people to come by and see it as possible.

Diane Drewke
Intero Real Estate Services
http://www.drewketeam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 14, 2009
Sam,

Having been born in Santa Clara Valley and sold residential real estate for 24 years; it is easy for me to say that the listing agent is not inferring that only families are welcome. Silicon Valley, Willow Glen, and surrounding areas are amongst the most diverse and tolerant places in the world. We don't see issues of lifestyle, family, religion, orientation, ethnicity, having pets, etc. having any effect on who buys a home here.

Sellers are emotional about selling a home but seldom if ever do you hear of one stating they will only sell to certain types of people. And frankly, it's against the law.

Mark Burns, Realtor
Coldwell Banker Premier - Top 2% Worldwide
President - PRDS, Contracts and Forms for Silicon Valley Residential Real Estate 2008, 2009
DRE # 00896552 licensed since 1985
Web Reference: http://www.markburns.com
Sam -

No one is discouraged to live in Willow Glen. All are welcome. I assume this simply means the back yard is fenced so that little ones can play safely.

CJ
Web Reference: http://www.TalkToCJ.com
Sam,

Be careful not to read too much into this......"child friendly backyard" may simply mean this specific home has a yard that is fenced.